• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Intercity Train Washing

Status
Not open for further replies.

STINT47

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2020
Messages
874
Location
Nottingham
I've been making a few journeys recently and I'm shocked by the external condition of EMRs Intercity fleet. Almost every train has been filthy.

Is there a problem that they are encountering with keeping their trains clean or is this the new standard?

I would put it down to the time of year or the tttttype of train if not for the fact that EMT did much better plus my recent trips with other TOCs have produced clean trains.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,654
Location
Hampshire
Sadly, train washing hasn’t been EMRs strong point since the taking over of the franchise - EMTs normally fairly pristine HSTs looked pretty rough towards their final days with EMR, while the 222 fleet looked absolutely filthy - even after they’d re-vinyled them.
 

Hairy Bear

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
379
Location
Derbyshire
Even when they are washed, they will be dirty again after 30 mins of running in wet weather due to passing spray. Those stabled in London each night will not be done until returning to Derby the following day.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,897
Location
East Anglia
Poor exterior condition has long been something I’ve wondered about right back to Midland Mainline days. The bad choice of livery on HST power cars particularly the roof didn’t help but moving on into EMT the same applied to some of them & for some reason the 156s which where often appalling. The 158s looked much better & nearly always got a wash at Crown Point. Even those now look shabby which the EMR vinyls make look even worse.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,927
Eastcroft's train wash is out of use for depot rebuilding works which doesn't help the Regional fleet - I assume that puts more pressure on the one at Etches Park.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,654
Location
Hampshire
Poor exterior condition has long been something I’ve wondered about right back to Midland Mainline days. The bad choice of livery on HST power cars particularly the roof didn’t help but moving on into EMT the same applied to some of them & for some reason the 156s which where often appalling. The 158s looked much better & nearly always got a wash at Crown Point. Even those now look shabby which the EMR vinyls make look even worse.
I have to say I’m a little surprised when you mention Crown Points washer, given the state of the 156s, though white on a DMU was always a bad idea. The calcium deposits on the front always intrigued me though - did the water come from the river?
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,897
Location
East Anglia
I have to say I’m a little surprised when you mention Crown Points washer, given the state of the 156s, though white on a DMU was always a bad idea. The calcium deposits on the front always intrigued me though - did the water come from the river?
It always seemed to suit the 158s. I’m trying to recall what went wrong with the washer during part of those white 156 days. It was playing up a few years back & out of action. Thankfully the new one is showing it’s worth on the Stadler fleet.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,927
I have to say I’m a little surprised when you mention Crown Points washer, given the state of the 156s, though white on a DMU was always a bad idea. The calcium deposits on the front always intrigued me though - did the water come from the river?
The 156/9s still look like they've been plastered with slime too. White was not a good choice, they've always looked horrific compared to the ex EMT 156s.
 

northernbelle

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2018
Messages
776
The 156/9s still look like they've been plastered with slime too. White was not a good choice, they've always looked horrific compared to the ex EMT 156s.
I think part of the problem is that the water tank overflow leads to water running down the unit's front end. Most DMUs have their toilets (and therefore water tanks) located at the inner end of the vehicle whereas 156s are unusual in having them at the cab end of the DMSL. Often you'll see water gushing out of these from roof level at the start of service when they first move off after being refilled.
 

STINT47

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2020
Messages
874
Location
Nottingham
I'm currently doing a rover and after further observations it does seem to be the 156s and 222 that are especially bad.

I'm not sure why as Northern 156s have been clean whilst the Voyages i have used with XC are also much cleaner and are essentially the same train as a Meridian.
 

43055

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
3,693
Whenever I have seen the 170's they look quite clean. Could be taking priority over the units which are due to leave the fleet??? Or it could just been the purple livery compared to white on the rest of the fleet.
 

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2018
Messages
4,187
I'm currently doing a rover and after further observations it does seem to be the 156s and 222 that are especially bad.

I'm not sure why as Northern 156s have been clean whilst the Voyages i have used with XC are also much cleaner and are essentially the same train as a Meridian.
More train washes available at depot, someone mentioned above that Crown Point (shared with Greater Anglia) and Etches Park are the only ones EMR have access to, instead of the usual 3. They also stable a long way from depot frequently.
 

Fincra5

Established Member
Joined
6 Jun 2009
Messages
2,636
Guess they aren't cleared for the CWM at Cricklewood...
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,927
More train washes available at depot, someone mentioned above that Crown Point (shared with Greater Anglia) and Etches Park are the only ones EMR have access to, instead of the usual 3. They also stable a long way from depot frequently.
Not the only ones - they also get washed at Crewe carriage sidings, but that's 90% 170 work now which may explain why they look a lot cleaner, although the purple does hide the dirt better.
 

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2018
Messages
4,187
Not the only ones - they also get washed at Crewe carriage sidings, but that's 90% 170 work now which may explain why they look a lot cleaner, although the purple does hide the dirt better.
Oh OK, makes sense. You wouldn't see a 222 down there though, which are apparently the worst.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top