shredder1
Established Member
Elsecar Heritage Railway, Sentinel Gala. Sunday 26th March 2017.
I`m embarrassed to say I`ve never seen a Sentinel in steam before, so couldnt wait for the Elsecar Heritage Railway`s Sentinel gala, with not just one of these unusual and unique vertical boilers, but two of them, plus a Sentinel steam road vehicle.
Operating Stock.
Former LMS Sentinel, number 9959 William, named after Sir William Stanier the Chief Engineer of the LMS. Manning Wardle, of 1900, converted by Sentinel to a vertical boiler in 1928, Gervase, and Elizabeth, who actually started life as a steam engine but was converted to diesel in Thomas Hill`s works in Rotherham 1965.
The railway is steeped in industrial history and is also known as the Coal Line, it was essentially a colliery line.
I obtained a visa for Yorkshire and drove over the hill, to the event, by rail it would have taken nearly 2 hours on a Sunday morning, by car it took me half that time.
Now although I`ve visited the Elsecar Heritage Railway twice before, this was the first time I`d actually rode on the line. At just over a mile in length, although it seems much longer, the event could be likened to that of a much larger railway. It certainly kept me busy all day, so much to see and do and the gala operations were very active, apart from two freight train operations, passenger trains ran frequently and were well attended, a naming ceremony was organised and also a photoshoot, nothing was too much trouble for them and the volunteers I spoke too really were lovely people and full of enthusiasm. The locomotive sheds was open to the public with an excellent model railway exhibition operating inside and we also had some glorious weather.
Sadly I missed the first freight train leaving Elsecar, this was because I`d forgotten to put my clock forward, but I made up for it. I took plenty of lineside photographs and also managed a few runs up the line. The Elsecar Heritage Railway has great potential and the tracks are down for more than double the present length to Cortonwood, following a £50,000 award from the Big Lottery Fund, with the addition of a possible halt at Hemingfield also, so the future looks rosie. A very big well done to the railway for such a fantastic event and I do wish you every success in the future.
https\://www.elsecarrailway.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742706.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story
I`m embarrassed to say I`ve never seen a Sentinel in steam before, so couldnt wait for the Elsecar Heritage Railway`s Sentinel gala, with not just one of these unusual and unique vertical boilers, but two of them, plus a Sentinel steam road vehicle.
Operating Stock.
Former LMS Sentinel, number 9959 William, named after Sir William Stanier the Chief Engineer of the LMS. Manning Wardle, of 1900, converted by Sentinel to a vertical boiler in 1928, Gervase, and Elizabeth, who actually started life as a steam engine but was converted to diesel in Thomas Hill`s works in Rotherham 1965.
The railway is steeped in industrial history and is also known as the Coal Line, it was essentially a colliery line.
I obtained a visa for Yorkshire and drove over the hill, to the event, by rail it would have taken nearly 2 hours on a Sunday morning, by car it took me half that time.
Now although I`ve visited the Elsecar Heritage Railway twice before, this was the first time I`d actually rode on the line. At just over a mile in length, although it seems much longer, the event could be likened to that of a much larger railway. It certainly kept me busy all day, so much to see and do and the gala operations were very active, apart from two freight train operations, passenger trains ran frequently and were well attended, a naming ceremony was organised and also a photoshoot, nothing was too much trouble for them and the volunteers I spoke too really were lovely people and full of enthusiasm. The locomotive sheds was open to the public with an excellent model railway exhibition operating inside and we also had some glorious weather.
Sadly I missed the first freight train leaving Elsecar, this was because I`d forgotten to put my clock forward, but I made up for it. I took plenty of lineside photographs and also managed a few runs up the line. The Elsecar Heritage Railway has great potential and the tracks are down for more than double the present length to Cortonwood, following a £50,000 award from the Big Lottery Fund, with the addition of a possible halt at Hemingfield also, so the future looks rosie. A very big well done to the railway for such a fantastic event and I do wish you every success in the future.
https\://www.elsecarrailway.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742706.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story