• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electrostar buffet provision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2017
Messages
3,186
Location
Way on down South London town
Way back in 2002 (I think) I remember waiting for a train at Gatwick Airport back to London with my parents when a then new class 377 rake pulled in on the opposite platform. I remember my Mum pointing out the "buffet car" to me on the train which, obviously, was a mistake on her part as no such provision existed. But it got me thinking lately if there ever was a specification for a buffet car in the original slam door replacement stock on the Central system - even on bids from manufacturers other than Adtranz who ultimately weren't selected for the bid.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AngusH

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2012
Messages
599
They probably could have been built if desired, the turbostar diesel stock got a few units with mini-buffets, as did 442 and 444, some 319 units?, so I'm pretty sure if they had been requested it could probably have been done.


The impression I get is that the buffet operation in the south central and south east seems to have failed before this generation of stock arrived.
i.e BR and first private operators had already given up operating the buffets on the slam door stock, so they skipped it in the new units.


I offer this related thread with some timelines of when various parts gave up:

I too would be very interested to read old bid documents, but I suppose they are all archived
somewhere and will never see the light of day.

The lack of a buffer car is disappointing really, I have always thought better of trains which had one.

I think they genuinely tried under br to keep things going, but connex probably wasn't much interested.

Though I think, I'd like to see an electrostar with a buffet car or even a dining car.
I'm just trying to think of a scenario where that might happen?
Maybe if the franchise had required a Brighton Belle pullman service?
 

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,586
Location
Surrey
I fear you will be out of luck with dining cars. The problem with a full meal service is that you need long enough between stops for passengers to eat it. Food service is challenging if the corridors are blocked by passengers and luggage! In the Travellers Fare era, one of the shortest runs for full dining was between Euston and Coventry which at that time took around 70 minutes. There aren't many non-stop runs this long on Southern territory.
 

AY1975

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,186
They probably could have been built if desired, the turbostar diesel stock got a few units with mini-buffets, as did 442 and 444, some 319 units?, so I'm pretty sure if they had been requested it could probably have been done.


The impression I get is that the buffet operation in the south central and south east seems to have failed before this generation of stock arrived.
i.e BR and first private operators had already given up operating the buffets on the slam door stock, so they skipped it in the new units.


I offer this related thread with some timelines of when various parts gave up:

I too would be very interested to read old bid documents, but I suppose they are all archived
somewhere and will never see the light of day.

The lack of a buffet car is disappointing really, I have always thought better of trains which had one.

I think they genuinely tried under BR to keep things going, but connex probably wasn't much interested.

Though I think, I'd like to see an electrostar with a buffet car or even a dining car.
I'm just trying to think of a scenario where that might happen?
Maybe if the franchise had required a Brighton Belle pullman service?
This thread on why on-train catering is no longer viable in most cases may also be of interest: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...tering-no-longer-viable-in-most-cases.276161/
 

stadler

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2023
Messages
3,304
Location
Horsley
They probably could have been built if desired, the turbostar diesel stock got a few units with mini-buffets, as did 442 and 444, some 319 units?, so I'm pretty sure if they had been requested it could probably have been done.


The impression I get is that the buffet operation in the south central and south east seems to have failed before this generation of stock arrived.
i.e BR and first private operators had already given up operating the buffets on the slam door stock, so they skipped it in the new units.


I offer this related thread with some timelines of when various parts gave up:

I too would be very interested to read old bid documents, but I suppose they are all archived
somewhere and will never see the light of day.

The lack of a buffer car is disappointing really, I have always thought better of trains which had one.

I think they genuinely tried under br to keep things going, but connex probably wasn't much interested.

Though I think, I'd like to see an electrostar with a buffet car or even a dining car.
I'm just trying to think of a scenario where that might happen?
Maybe if the franchise had required a Brighton Belle pullman service?
I think the Southern Class 319 units was just an area with some lounge seating and counters where a trolley could park up and operate from. It avoided the trolley having to go through a busy train. It was not really a mini buffet counter like the 442s and 444s had.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
Way back in 2002 (I think) I remember waiting for a train at Gatwick Airport back to London with my parents when a then new class 377 rake pulled in on the opposite platform. I remember my Mum pointing out the "buffet car" to me on the train which, obviously, was a mistake on her part as no such provision existed.
I think she may have seen the red stripe above the disabled area?

A whole generation would have been brought up to recognise that the red stripe meant food available. My parents were once giving a lift to the late Charles Town of St John Ambulance - someone who certainly had his head screwed on properly - and as they drove past Epsom railway station there was a train in platform 1 in the then new Network SouthEast livery; Mr Town immediately exclaimed: "Look at all those buffet cars!" :lol:

You have, however, started a very interesting and worthwhile discussion on the provision of food on trains.

Journey length, as has been pointed out, is a key point - but once past the journey length issue the main point is not so much the money as the perception of the money; when the accountants look only at the provision itself and sharpen their axes. In sharp contrast, as recently explained on Green Signals TfW runs their dining provision on the Mk4 rakes as a deliberate loss leader in that they accept not making a profit on the food itself because they understand that the availability attracts passengers who would otherwise travel by other means; they make an overall profit on the food offering through this means... i.e. the extra fares income.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
I fear you will be out of luck with dining cars. The problem with a full meal service is that you need long enough between stops for passengers to eat it. Food service is challenging if the corridors are blocked by passengers and luggage! In the Travellers Fare era, one of the shortest runs for full dining was between Euston and Coventry which at that time took around 70 minutes. There aren't many non-stop runs this long on Southern territory.
You don't need trains to be non-stop to have a dining car, just that there is enough passenger flow travelling a long distance to make use of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top