• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electric vehicles in Italy: are there any?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2011
Messages
1,699
I've travelled in Italy a few times over the past 2 years. What puzzles me is the (apparent) lack of electric vehicles, particularly domestic cars. I've visited big cities, country towns and major tourist areas, north and south. But I'm struggling to think of anywhere I've seen EVs or anywhere to charge them. Is this unfair? Does Italy actually have a thriving EV market? What I have noticed is some very bad air pollution in towns mostly arising from 2 stroke mopeds!!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,354
Location
University of Birmingham
I was on a school trip in 2017 in Italy. Two small electric vans were hired to transport equipment on the trip through the streets of Sirmione. Was great fun watching the teachers drive them!

But I don't recall seeing any electric vehicles when I was there (in Perugia) for around 2 weeks last year
 

peteb

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2011
Messages
1,699
I was on a school trip in 2017 in Italy. Two small electric vans were hired to transport equipment on the trip through the streets of Sirmione. Was great fun watching the teachers drive them!

But I don't recall seeing any electric vehicles when I was there (in Perugia) for around 2 weeks last year
Not seen any electric vans, though they need them in the Sorrento area. On the steep narrow roads down to the harbours they use Tuk Tuk type trucks with consequent din and fumes!
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,737
Location
West Riding
Electricity is expensive in Italy, which may explain it. I also don’t think the national grid is as good as ours.
 

Andrew S

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2018
Messages
187
I was in Lucca last week and saw quite a number of electric utility vehicles (postal delivery, rubbish collection, courier package deliveries etc). There were also at least two of the new Citreon Ami electric cars.

The historic centre of Lucca has ancient narrow streets, so small vehicles are more practical. Also possibly there is a general environmental awareness vibe there. Plenty of people cycling too.
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
The tax regime in Italy is probably different. My son in law has an EV to save on tax, not because he especially wants one - he lives in UK.

Daughter in law and grand daughter live in Rimini. They dont have a car but fly to Sicily to visit family. When they come to UK its train then fly. Public transport in Rimini is good for them. Dau in law has a licence and I am sure grand daughter will learn to drive next year when she is 18. They hire cars when they want one.
 

peteb

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2011
Messages
1,699
I was in Lucca last week and saw quite a number of electric utility vehicles (postal delivery, rubbish collection, courier package deliveries etc). There were also at least two of the new Citreon Ami electric cars.

The historic centre of Lucca has ancient narrow streets, so small vehicles are more practical. Also possibly there is a general environmental awareness vibe there. Plenty of people cycling too.
That's interesting to know
 

stuu

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2011
Messages
3,774
There are thousands of charging points shown on this map, so presumably there are lots of EVs:
 

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,261
Location
West Wiltshire
I was in Lucca last week and saw quite a number of electric utility vehicles (postal delivery, rubbish collection, courier package deliveries etc). There were also at least two of the new Citreon Ami electric cars.

The historic centre of Lucca has ancient narrow streets, so small vehicles are more practical. Also possibly there is a general environmental awareness vibe there. Plenty of people cycling too.

Might have been Fiat Topolino (which is effectively a rebadged Ami)

Possibly about to change, Fiat is just introducing an electric Grande Panda, and has electric versons of 500 and 600

However small cars are cheap in Italy (and parking spaces at a premium too, so small is common), just checked Fiat Italy website and can buy a brand new Panda from €15,900 list (actually on promotion at €14,950), which is £12,520 If you could buy a brand new petrol runaround in UK for under £13k (proper car, not a quadricycle) would you have much incentive to go electric.

 

peteb

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2011
Messages
1,699
There are thousands of charging points shown on this map, so presumably there are lots of EVs:
That's a handy reference tool. I note that there aren't many in Sorrento!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top