• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EE television advertisement...The one on the beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,529
Location
Yorkshire
But when I saw this thread am I the only one who thought "English Electric"
nope! I did think of EE initially, as that is what you'd expect EE to stand for on a railway forum, but then I realised it was in General Discussion and was therefore probably about that daftly named mobile phone company! ;)
The one stated in the title of this thread.
Any chance of a source? Most adverts would probably end up on Youtube.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,351
OK. I need help. I've been with T-Mobile over a decade, Now on EE as you'd expect.

But when I saw this thread am I the only one who thought "English Electric" ?

JW


For another reference to "English Electric", that name is now included in the title of two CDs by Big Big Train. (No connection other than being someone who likes their kind of music.)

http://www.bigbigtrain.com/
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,484
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Any chance of a source? Most adverts would probably end up on Youtube.

Post # 17 appears to meet this criteria and the thread title now reflects this.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I did think of EE initially, as that is what you'd expect EE to stand for on a railway forum, but then I realised it was in General Discussion and was therefore probably about that daftly named mobile phone company! ;)

It does not say much for the brand marketing of the said EE product to have viewers not to fully and immediately make a connection to it. Still even more sad to read on this thread that nothing in the British way of life was deemed worthy by the advertisement agency as making the connection that was stated in an earlier posting on this thread and that some "Americanism" of a connection with an American person was the best way to project their message to the televiewing audience.

Was not an "American-style" voice-over used in a recent MoneySupermarket.com television advertisement ? Why is it felt that an "American-style" accent helps to market products that are aimed at a British audience.
 
Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2013
Messages
5,023
Location
Yellabelly Country
I think High Dyke is confusing popular beat music combo Everything Everything, often shortened to EE, with mobile telecommunicatons provider Everything Everywhere, often shortened to, er, EE.
Of course, neither should be confused with erstwhile well-known British industrial manufacturer English Electric, whose name was often shortened to... :D
That may be so... However i have little or no knowledge of either EE, apart from English Electric, so that probably explains my misunderstanding. I was responding to the question about Day-Dar. This is what i found: http://daydar.net/ Perhaps i should've posted the link in my previous posting? :|
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
Post # 17 appears to meet this criteria.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


It does not say much for the brand marketing of the said EE product to have viewers not to fully and immediately make a connection to it. Still even more sad to read on this thread that nothing in the British way of life was deemed worthy by the advertisement agency as making the connection that was stated in an earlier posting on this thread and that some "Americanism" of a connection with an American person was the best way to project their message to the televiewing audience.
I really don't get what you're complaining about. This isn't any old American, this is Kevin Bacon, the internationally famous movie star, who happens to have this connection thing tied to him. The ad are cool.

Was not an American voice-over used in a recent MoneySupermarket.com television advertisement ?
All the ones I've seen have been done by Patrick Stewart.
 
Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,844
Location
Stirlingshire
Which one?

And how can you have never heard of Kevin Bacon? He's been about for years! Do you never watch any movies?

Speaking of Movies, as a Cineworld "Season Ticket Holder" I regret to inform members filmgoers have been subjected to a series of various Kevin Bacon Orange and now EE Adverts before every film for months now :cry:
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,484
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
It's most definitely "data" that's being said.

I will accept your explanation of the voice foibles of certain Americans, as this will be the explanation of why I always thought that Madeleiine Albright, a past USA Secretary of State, kept referring to something that sounded like "Nay-Dough" when referring to a certain organisation.....:roll:
 

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
I will accept your explanation of the voice foibles of certain Americans, as this will be the explanation of why I always thought that Madeleiine Albright, a past USA Secretary of State, kept referring to something that sounded like "Nay-Dough" when referring to a certain organisation.....:roll:

If you think that's bad, I have had a Texan on an EMT service ask me if the train calls at Low-bore-ow. Now that was something :lol:.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
OK. I need help. I've been with T-Mobile over a decade, Now on EE as you'd expect.

But when I saw this thread am I the only one who thought "English Electric" ?

JW

No, I thought English Electric, rapidly followed by netbook, wait a min that's EEE.

As for Everything Everywhere or whatever, I've seen the ads, but they are so forgettable that I just didn't make that connection at all.

Bacon no?
How many rashers you have in your butty?

"Nay-Dough" , it's Nuke-ular that gets me. Is it really so difficult to pronounce it as new-clear?
 
Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
I am 22 and whilst I have heard the name Kevin Bacon, I had no idea who it was until these adverts, I'm still not too sure!
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,199
I was beginning to wonder if the "Ipswich Bacon Chord" thread on the Infrastructure and Stations forum was another tribute to this American actor that I appear to be the only person who has never heard of...:roll:

Oh if only! Bacon and the internet...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top