• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

edited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainfan344

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2012
Messages
2,305
If you want some information on how the trains were affected, do what I did and take a scroll back to the beginnings of the boards, this forum was around in 2005 and there are a few topics about it. It makes for some interesting reading about what was known then compared to now.
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
I was in London on that day.Shall not forget it

So was I. At the time I travelled into Liverpool St and sometimes if I was feeling particularly lazy I got the tube to Aldgate. Fortunately I wasn't feeling lazy that day.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
I returned home to Cornwall in the early hours of 7/7, having spent several days in London including a long lunch with a friend the day before next to Liverpool Street Station. I spent some time that Thursday morning trying to find the whereabouts of friends and family and happily all were safe but some faced difficult journeys home. Don't forget, all underground trains were cancelled after what had happened became apparent, and on the lines directly affected it was days, or even weeks in the case of the Piccadilly Line, before they were back to normal.
As buses are my specialist subject, all buses came off the road and returned to their garages empty throughout London, but by the early evening decisions had been made by many companies and individual drivers to reintroduce them, including on Central London routes, not only to help get people home but, importantly, as a show of defiance against murderous nihilism.
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,704
Location
Hope Valley
I arrived at St Pancras just after the various bombs had gone off. At that time people were still being told of a suspected electrical power surge.
(I had been on the Piccadilly Line at Russell Square at exactly the time the bomb went off, only two days earlier.)
Walked to work, along with a lot of other people, only to discover on arrival what had been happening.
In the evening all London Transport seemed to be off as posted above. I walked back to St Pancras but the whole King's Cross area was cordoned off and KX itself closed.
Passengers were later allowed to walk along the north side of Euston Road and up St Pancras Road. Interim arrangements were still in place during the re-build although Thameslink had just moved out of the terminus a few weeks earlier.
There was a limited Midland Mainline service running, mainly with 'country' crews and I got home without much trouble. Some, but by no means a huge number of East Coast passengers were also on the train.
The following day things started returning to normal remarkably quickly but I didn't use the tube for weeks myself.
Scary times...
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,853
Location
Oakham
The following day things started returning to normal remarkably quickly but I didn't use the tube for weeks myself.
Scary times...

Quite the opposite for us:

We used the Piccadilly Line two days after the attacks to get to a long arranged gathering in The Green Man at Hatton Cross and made it a specific point to go via Green Park - the starting point of the service while the damaged train was being removed and the tunnel was under repair - even though we could probably have made a quicker journey by going Wimbledon - Earl's Court - Hatton Cross.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
The euphoria of winning the bid to host the 2012 Olympics on 6/7 was followed by the bombings the following day.

On 7/7 I had a meeting at the Harpenden Railway station newspaper kiosk. Quite scary to think that the bombers passed through the station on the train while I was at the station.

I remember not being able to make mobile phone calls because the mobile phone network was taken down/overwhelmed. After my meeting I was driving down the M1 towards London when the variable message boards flashed up 'Central London Closed Turn on Radio'.

I heard stories from colleagues working in London who walked more than 10 miles home that day.

The weekend following the bombings I went to London deliberately to use the tube. it was quiet and only the Metropolitan Line was running from the sub surface part at Kings Cross. I had no need to be in London that day but it was my way of saying to the bombers that I'm not scared - you won't disrupt our way of life.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
The euphoria of winning the bid to host the 2012 Olympics on 6/7 was followed by the bombings the following day.

On 7/7 I had a meeting at the Harpenden Railway station newspaper kiosk. Quite scary to think that the bombers passed through the station on the train while I was at the station.

I remember not being able to make mobile phone calls because the mobile phone network was taken down/overwhelmed. After my meeting I was driving down the M1 towards London when the variable message boards flashed up 'Central London Closed Turn on Radio'.

I heard stories from colleagues working in London who walked more than 10 miles home that day.

The weekend following the bombings I went to London deliberately to use the tube. it was quiet and only the Metropolitan Line was running from the sub surface part at Kings Cross. I had no need to be in London that day but it was my way of saying to the bombers that I'm not scared - you won't disrupt our way of life.

Good for you, it's the only attitude to take imo. Obviously, if you have been directly involved in an horrific attack, and survived, then you might well choose not to use the Underground again, and that would be an entirely rational response too.
My father was on one of the trains involved in the St John's train crash of 1957, and I still remember sitting with my mother in our house for hours that evening waiting for news, with no information beyond, eventually, hearing on the radio that there had been a collision. I was nine years old, and when my father's key turned in the lock (he was unscathed physically or mentally) our relief was unconfined. I believe he still went to work by train the following day, though he may have had to take a different route.
 

whoosh

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2008
Messages
1,902
On the Midland Mainline, the next day I observed from the driving cab, "WE WILL BOMBE YOU" (with 'bomb' misspelled) which had been spray painted in white on one of the over bridges between Wellingborough and Bedford. I felt for the St Pancras drivers, quite a few of whom travelled into Liverpool Street from where they lived, before catching the tube around to Kings Cross St Pancras. They would've seen it heading into London on their last trip, having to get across London about an hour after seeing it. Whilst I don't believe it was a serious threat , it was a stupid, cruel thing to do.
The next day it had been heavily crossed out in white spray paint, either by the person who'd originally done it feeling remorse, or more likely Network Rail in a hasty attempt to get rid of it. It did look a slightly different paint, so I'd bet on the latter.

Bins on trains were locked closed for quite a while afterwards. Whilst this wouldn't protect against a suicide bomber, it did mean that trains were not delayed by something looking 'odd' in a bin, along with all the worry and fear that would go along with that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top