• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh Waverley to Leicester - Tue 11 Dec

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulypaul

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2012
Messages
125
I would like some advice on ticketing and route please.

I will be travelling, with my elderly father, from Edinburgh Waverley to Leicester on the morning of Tuesday 11 December. I hold a Disabled Persons Railcard. I am flexible on departure time and route and do not mind being fixed to a particular service. It will be a single journey. I will be travelling with my father's small travel mobility scooter, that complies with all the various TOC scooter requirements and suitcase.

I would like to try EC First Class weekday service, if possible, but I don't want to change trains too often, because I will have a suitcase, mobility scooter and elderly dad to get on and off trains.

I looked at a First Advance Single via Newark at £39.95
D EDH 10:00 - A NNG 13:17, D NCT 14:05 -A LEI 15:21

I looked at changing at York or Peterborough, but the first involves an additional change and the latter involves a waiting time of an hour.

Does anyone else have an alternative suggestion?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
Only options involving just one change and travelling on East Coast is to change at Newark or Peterborough, although the former involves a 20-minute walk under normal circumstances so your father might find it easier to go via Peterborough.
 

paulypaul

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2012
Messages
125
Only options involving just one change and travelling on East Coast is to change at Newark or Peterborough, although the former involves a 20-minute walk under normal circumstances so your father might find it easier to go via Peterborough.

Thank you.

I was thinking of grabbing a taxi between the two Newark stations for us.

I take your point about changing at Peterborough though. That might be the simplist solution.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
I realise you said you would like to travel with EC, but have you considered Cross Country from Edinburgh to Chesterfield, then East Midlands from there to Leicester?

Edinburgh trains departing x05 or thereabouts leave a 30-minute wait at Chesterfield for the x39 to Leicester.

I haven't checked how this route would work-out price-wise, cf. East Coast, but I suggest it because with East Coast you'll have to change stations in Newark, as you realise, or at least go over the bridge at Peterborough, whereas Chesterfield will be a same-platform interchange, which might be more convenient with luggage, disability scooter, etc.

Just a thought.
 

paulypaul

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2012
Messages
125
I realise you said you would like to travel with EC, but have you considered Cross Country from Edinburgh to Chesterfield, then East Midlands from there to Leicester?

Edinburgh trains departing x05 or thereabouts leave a 30-minute wait at Chesterfield for the x39 to Leicester.

I haven't checked how this route would work-out price-wise, cf. East Coast, but I suggest it because with East Coast you'll have to change stations in Newark, as you realise, or at least go over the bridge at Peterborough, whereas Chesterfield will be a same-platform interchange, which might be more convenient with luggage, disability scooter, etc.

Just a thought.

Many thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated.

I think what I was trying to do was to have my cake and eat it (literally!).

I dont think I can enjoying the comfort of EC First without negotiating Newark or Peterborough stations, or go for XC & EMT standard service and go for an easy change at somewhere like Chesterfied as you suggest.
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,582
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
I don't think I can enjoying the comfort of EC First without negotiating Newark or Peterborough stations, or go for XC & EMT standard service and go for an easy change at somewhere like Chesterfield as you suggest.

I suppose everything in life has its price! Personally I would take EC 1st for as far as I could get it - as long as the price was right. It will offer you a much more relaxed & comfortable journey.

Changing trains in and of itself does not have to be a stressful occupation, even with luggage &c. - however, you will know your father's capabilities best. My tip is to leave plenty time for the change and to change at a station that has a pleasant atmosphere for waiting.

Changing on a long journey can give you an opportunity to get some fresh air, stretch your legs, have a smoke <D, or even just briefly see a part of the country that you would normally not experience.

Help will be available at the stations for you & your father, this can be pre-booked. I am sure it is possible to increase the recommended interchange time if you don't feel that that is enough for your needs
 

blacknight

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2009
Messages
543
Location
Crow Park
Newark Castle is an unstaffed station with only a single bus shelter for cover on platform 1 with no public access to unused station building. Given you are travelling in December you might want to concider what conditions you will be waiting in.
 

Attachments

  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 4
  • bs.jpg
    bs.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 6

paulypaul

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2012
Messages
125
Thank you all for your suggestions, comments and advice. It is appreciated.

Changing to an unmanned station in Newark in December looks a non-starter, so I think I've got two main options:

1. EC First Class to Peterborough and then a unhurried change for the XC Standard service to Leicester. (10:00-13:47 £32.25 1st Adv + 14:52-15:47 £11.90 Std Adv = £44.15)

2. XC Standard Class to Chesterfield and then same platform change for the EMT service to Leicester. (09:08-13:05 £21.10 Std Adv + 13:39-14:23 £9.90 Std Adv = £31.00)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top