• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Cardiff on CrossCountry Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie Bee

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2018
Messages
962
Location
Whitley Bay
I saw an article on my phone this morning about a new service from Edinburgh to Cardiff on CrossCountry.

I understand it will travel via Newcastle, hence my interest.

Does anybody have a link to train times please ?

I believe it will only be one train each way per day and only on weekdays .. still probably better than having a few changes for the same route, as is the case now

UPDATE .. I think it leaves Edinburgh at 13:07
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gaelan

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2023
Messages
1,010
Location
Edinburgh
UPDATE .. I think it leaves Edinburgh at 13:07
Correct - this is the existing 13:07 Edinbrugh-Plymouth service, which now splits at Gloucester with half going to Cardiff (arriving 20:07) and half continuing to Plymouth as before.

The northbound service departs Cardiff at 09:45 and joins the existing Penzance-Edinburgh service at Birmingham, arriving Newcastle 15:29 and Edinbrugh 17:08.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,325
Location
Glasgow
I saw an article on my phone this morning about a new service from Edinburgh to Cardiff on CrossCountry.

I understand it will travel via Newcastle, hence my interest.

Does anybody have a link to train times please ?

I believe it will only be one train each way per day and only on weekdays .. still probably better than having a few changes for the same route, as is the case now

UPDATE .. I think it leaves Edinburgh at 13:07
It's just combining existing services.

It'll be 1440 off Newcastle, arriving Cardiff Central at 2007 and returning from Cardiff at 0945, arriving 1529 in Newcastle.

You'll probably find using other services will be cheaper tbh...
 

Willie Bee

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2018
Messages
962
Location
Whitley Bay
It's just combining existing services.

It'll be 1440 off Newcastle, arriving Cardiff Central at 2007 and returning from Cardiff at 0945, arriving 1529 in Newcastle.

You'll probably find using other services will be cheaper tbh...
Many thanks ... yes, XCountry is never the cheapest ..

i actually posted an article on this forum a few months ago regarding Newcastle to Cardiff prices and I was quite surprised at the cost and the number of changes required. In the end, my wife and I went to North Wales instead (Llandudno), combined with a short stay at Liverpool.

Next year, we will definitely visit Cardiff
 

Willie Bee

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2018
Messages
962
Location
Whitley Bay
Correct - this is the existing 13:07 Edinbrugh-Plymouth service, which now splits at Gloucester with half going to Cardiff (arriving 20:07) and half continuing to Plymouth as before.

The northbound service departs Cardiff at 09:45 and joins the existing Penzance-Edinburgh service at Birmingham, arriving Newcastle 15:29 and Edinbrugh 17:08.
Many thanks !
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,325
Location
Glasgow
Many thanks ... yes, XCountry is never the cheapest ..

i actually posted an article on this forum a few months ago regarding Newcastle to Cardiff prices and I was quite surprised at the cost and the number of changes required. In the end, my wife and I went to North Wales instead (Llandudno), combined with a short stay at Liverpool.

Next year, we will definitely visit Cardiff
Yes, it's an unfortunate contrast to the days when British Rail ran two daily Newcastle/Cardiff HSTs (which lasted into privitisation) and then Virgin briefly improved the offering to a two-hourly service (originating in Dundee or Edinburgh) in 2003.

Either it's not a popular flow now, or more likely its not seen as a good way of using scarce resources but we'll see how XC's endeavour fairs with their fares... ;)
 

A S Leib

Established Member
Joined
9 Sep 2018
Messages
3,379
Yes, it's an unfortunate contrast to the days when British Rail ran two daily Newcastle/Cardiff HSTs (which lasted into privitisation) and then Virgin briefly improved the offering to a two-hourly service (originating in Dundee or Edinburgh) in 2003.

Either it's not a popular flow now, or more likely its not seen as a good way of using scarce resources but we'll see how XC's endeavour fairs with their fares... ;)
How frequent were Cardiff – Crewe and Crewe – Edinburgh in 2003?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top