• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh - Keighley via Cumbrian coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvalts

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2011
Messages
39
Hello there,

I'd like to travel from Edinburgh to Keighley, but via the Cumbrian Coast line.
I can find this on the NRE website as an advance fare on the 23rd May, leaving Edinburgh at 0742. Price is £17.15 for an Advance (w/ 16-25 railcard). (I entered 'via Workington' to get it to route me via the coast)

When I click the link through from NRE to buy this from Transpennine express, there are 'no tickets available' for this journey. I've tried it with the Northern rail website, which offers a similar journey via Workington for £18.50 (and lets me buy, if I wish to)

When travelling with this ticket, am I likely to encounter any problems with ticket inspection, given that it will probably seem like I am taking an unnecessarily long way round? Does the '& connections' part of the advance ticket cover such a deviation from a more obviously direct route?

Thanks in advance for your help
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,419
Location
Yorkshire
Welcome to the forum.

That's fine, just bring the itinerary in case it's queried.

It's a permitted route (on maps MM+FC), but regardless of permitted routes, an Advance ticket is valid on the booked train(s), plus appropriate trains, which includes any train(s) shown on the itinerary.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
If it is an Advance ticket and you have your itinerary with you, there should not be any problem whatsoever. You are supposed to travel according to your itinerary.

(Certain exceptions apply I know but not really relevant here.)
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,419
Location
Yorkshire
One of the most extreme examples of a 'deviation from a more obviously direct route' I've seen is Stoke to Liverpool, routed Virgin Trains Only. Not an easy journey to make exclusively on Virgin Trains. The mandatory reservation coupons were issued as follows: Stoke to London & London to Liverpool.

In that particular case, as it wasn't an & Connections ticket, it was only valid on those trains and not valid via a shorter route using other operators.

The Cumbrian coast deviation is nothing compared to that ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top