• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML OLE problems at Retford yet again (09/03)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,194
Is the damaged section near to the section(s) that have previously had damage?

Looking at the photo, if the 800s been in service, would that have been the sort of damage where they could have isolated the section of OLE, secured the pan down, switched to diesel mode and got the train to the next station. Then offloaded the passengers and park up in the first available siding?

Why would they have to secure the pantograph and detrain?

And no, I think the damage this time is south of Retford, the last few times (when I was stuck on an IC225) has been to the north.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,934
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Back to the topic, it's unclear how Network Rail can be renationalised, and it's also unclear if this would include upgrading every pice of sub-standard overhead line equipment (which would mean most of the East Coast Main Line would need to be re-done) to acceptable standards, or if they are suggesting de-wiring the entire ECML?
(I suspect it was just something said randomly to sound good, without any actual thought!)

I'm sure it was with thought.
He (John McConnell) drops rail renationalisation into every interview, no doubt hoping that it will be accepted fact when (if!) the time comes.
Every railway ill will be attributed to "privatisation", just like every national ill was attributed to the EU for the past decade by the Leavers.
He is actually quite a rational, thoughtful guy.
But with railway economics he seems to have a blind spot.
What power does he want to fix the ECML that the DfT does not already possess?
 
Last edited:

Dave1987

On Moderation
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
4,563
If anyone has a copy of the latest Modern Railways magazine then you will see that Roger Ford provides a explanation of the issues with the East Coast overhead wires. Those who believe the class 800's will stop dewirements happening are wrong. Problem is far more fundamental than what trains are running under wires. Going to take a very long time to rectify the issues completely.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,718
Location
Scotland
If anyone has a copy of the latest Modern Railways magazine then you will see that Roger Ford provides a explanation of the issues with the East Coast overhead wires.
Could you provide an executive summary for those of us who don't? Thanks.
 

goatie

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2014
Messages
74
Roger ford's article in the Modern Railway reads very well, and highlights lots of the issue's the ECML OHLE has, but is the information being feed down to guys on the tools ? and are they dealing with it
Like most things in ohle maintenance if its not maintained right tonight its not going to cause an issue, but if its not maintained right the next time what happens then,
as I said before "once one team goes out and works to a lower standard, that then becomes their standard" that's why people need independent checkers
in BR days it didn't matter, under Railtrack the contract makers said these are good guys they won't cut corners (we were at a meeting when we were told this)
Network Rail saw it was a problem, but they thought it was fraud/over changing, so got rid of independent checkers
 

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
How long is the "crap" section (which suffers from so many incidents) of OLE? Would it need many weekend possessions to replace the "crap" section of OLE?
 

Dave1987

On Moderation
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
4,563
Could you provide an executive summary for those of us who don't? Thanks.

When they installed it, they made it as light as they could so they could achieve 125mph at lower tension. It suffers from internal corrosion and flashovers, along with natural wear. The old stuff is being replaced but it's not a one size fits all for all locations.
 

daikilo

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,623
How long is the "crap" section (which suffers from so many incidents) of OLE? Would it need many weekend possessions to replace the "crap" section of OLE?

Kings Cross to Edinburgh, apart from the sections that have been upgraded already like the fast lines from KX to Hitchin. However, the issues causing current problems are variable both in nature and what has already been done through modified maintenance regimes.

I think using the term "crap" is unfortunate because the engineers who designed it used inovative solutions and probably believed it was the best they could do within the budget, and it possibly was. With the hindsight we now have, other decisions are being taken for e.g. the Western electrification. And no doubt new lessons are being learned.
 

Mark62

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2014
Messages
312
I was on the 12.25 from Newcastle the KC and we were terminated at York. Thankfully I'd just finished my curry(curry Thursday) in first class when the announcement was made.
This is the third time in five months that chaos has ensued after overhead damage.
Of course, these days, there aren't any standby locos at all. Electrics can't be dragged any more.
I don't believe York even has a station pilot.
The damage seems to be happening more and more frequently. I've been traveling up and down the ECML for 30 years. Obviously the electrics havent been running that long. I can't remember the problems being as bad as they are now.
At least I got my excellent curry. Those in coach M weren't all as fortunate.
 

GW43125

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2014
Messages
2,312
I was on the 12.25 from Newcastle the KC and we were terminated at York. Thankfully I'd just finished my curry(curry Thursday) in first class when the announcement was made.
This is the third time in five months that chaos has ensued after overhead damage.
Of course, these days, there aren't any standby locos at all. Electrics can't be dragged any more.
I don't believe York even has a station pilot.
The damage seems to be happening more and more frequently. I've been traveling up and down the ECML for 30 years. Obviously the electrics havent been running that long. I can't remember the problems being as bad as they are now.
At least I got my excellent curry. Those in coach M weren't all as fortunate.

There are thunderbirds at KGX, NCL and EDB, however if the wires are down it's a STOP all trains job
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,389
Location
Yorks
I was on the 12.25 from Newcastle the KC and we were terminated at York. Thankfully I'd just finished my curry(curry Thursday) in first class when the announcement was made.
This is the third time in five months that chaos has ensued after overhead damage.
Of course, these days, there aren't any standby locos at all. Electrics can't be dragged any more.
I don't believe York even has a station pilot.
The damage seems to be happening more and more frequently. I've been traveling up and down the ECML for 30 years. Obviously the electrics havent been running that long. I can't remember the problems being as bad as they are now.
At least I got my excellent curry. Those in coach M weren't all as fortunate.

Indeed. I've been using the route for about fifteen years regularly, and the problems definitely seem more frequent than they used to be. Outside of the network "nervous breakdown" after Hatfield, the route seemed to be pretty reliable.
 
Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
Suprised no one has mentioned the lineside fire at Ferryhill that brought the ECML to a grinding halt for an hour...
 

Mark62

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2014
Messages
312
There are thunderbirds at KGX, NCL and EDB, however if the wires are down it's a STOP all trains job

They can drag them via the standard diversionary route via Lincoln. This would have happened before all the relief drivers were sacked and relief locomotives were cut up.
I was talking to a chap the following Saturday and his train was stranded at Grantham. They were told that a relief deisel was on the way to take the the train through. But line was opened again before anything arrived.

I've not seen the station pilot at Donny. Is it a 67? I've seen a 91 stabled there recently.

What a sorry state of affairs when there are only four spare locomotive in 400 miles.
It's not the way to run an efficient modern railway.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,718
Location
Scotland
This would have happened before all the relief drivers were sacked and relief locomotives were cut up....

What a sorry state of affairs when there are only four spare locomotive in 400 miles.
It's not the way to run an efficient modern railway.
Funny that you use 'efficient' in a post bemoaning the fact that there aren't drivers and locomotives sitting idle 'just in case'.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Suprised no one has mentioned the lineside fire at Ferryhill that brought the ECML to a grinding halt for an hour...
I was hopping around between Newcastle and Durham when this happened.

Felt slightly bad for the conductor on the 16:04 Newcastle to Lime Street, was going all out with his humorous announcements and seemed like a lovely bloke, only to end up stuck just after Durham.

Passenger on a slightly later service (16:41 to Plymouth, being held at Newcastle) won the comment of the day with "smoke isn't that bad, it's a disgrace they don't just drive through it"
 

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
Felt slightly bad for the conductor on the 16:04 Newcastle to Lime Street, was going all out with his humorous announcements and seemed like a lovely bloke, only to end up stuck just after Durham.


Aww, that was me!!! :D

Nicest thing anyone has said about me for a while....:oops:

Hope I looked after you ok then....
 
Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
on a slightly later service (16:41 to Plymouth, being held at Newcastle) won the comment of the day with "smoke isn't that bad, it's a disgrace they don't just drive through it"


Looked pretty bad from where my driver was sat. Passed it at around 23:30 on my back working. It waz still burning. Tyres in a car mechanic garage was what was burning apparently. The location does have a few small business indusfrial units there
 

Attachments

  • 20170319_165009.jpg
    20170319_165009.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Aww, that was me!!! :D

Nicest thing anyone has said about me for a while....:oops:

Hope I looked after you ok then....
Yeah you did fine ;) I was only going to Durham and was plonked in the tip up seats up front...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top