• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eating in/near Manchester Piccadilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
Hi folks,

I'm travelling through Manchester on Friday night with a small amount of luggage. I'll be there at about teatime, don't fancy paying Virgin a shed-load for a sandwich on the second leg.

I'm arriving 1902, and departing 1955.

Any suggestions either on the station, or within walking distance where I might get some hot food, maybe a pint and a sit down, at that time on a Friday, without taking out a second mortgage and without risking missing my connection? Don't mid takeaway, but would prefer not to have to resort to Burger King.

Of course, I could just visit Sainsbury's or M&S, I suppose.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Emyr

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2014
Messages
656
There is a Wetherspoons at Piccadilly Gardens. It's on the East side so walking there would actually be less difficult than descending to Piccadilly Station tram stop and walking from Piccadilly Gardens tram stop to 'spoons.

Given you'll have at most 50 minutes, I'd recommend getting a sandwich from...

Within the concourse:
  • Sainsburys (near the route down to the Metro & Taxis)
  • M&S Food (upstairs near the main enterance)
  • Boots (ground floor, by the main enterance)
Station approach:
  • Waitrose
  • Subway
  • Greggs (probably closed by then)
 

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
I suspected that would be the case. I reckon I'd be antsy anyway waiting for food to be served.

Might it be feasible to get something at the bar upstairs, whatever that's called?
 

table38

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
1,812
Location
Stalybridge
There's a noodle bar on the old Station approach (which I keep meaning to try!).

The Bulls Head do food (just opposite the Taxi Rank).
 

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
there's two upstairs bars, one near the entrance and one by metrolink. The one near the entrance varies from packed to dead and I don't know if the other does food
 

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,386
Location
Wennington Crossovers
The Wetherspoons in Piccadilly Gardens isn't one of the best ones and will probably be packed then. I'd recommend the Bull's Head.
 
Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
If you think you would have time, I would recommend Carluccios on the station. Been in many times and service has always been very quick and efficient, nice atmosphere too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top