• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR) countdown to entry into service

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Given that no 196s have moved yet, and 165s are doing the current test runs, is it safe to say that the WTT test paths that start in a few weeks will be run by 165s as well for the time being?

The paths start in a few weeks but that doesn’t mean all or even any of them will be used initially. No Chiltern staff have been trained on 196s yet.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FlyingPotato

Member
Joined
23 Mar 2023
Messages
351
Location
Always moving
East west rail posted a sped up video cab view video of a test train on EWR. I haven't seen it on other threads so will be posting here.
This is also my first time sharing a link to a video so if there is anything else I need to add for accessibility let me know

Video is East West Rail - Oxford to Milton Keynes in 1 minute
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
East west rail posted a sped up video cab view video of a test train on EWR. I haven't seen it on other threads so will be posting here.
This is also my first time sharing a link to a video so if there is anything else I need to add for accessibility let me know
That will be fine, I’m sure. I’ve posted quite a few links to videos found on YouTube, and as long as you write a sentence or two explaining that it’s a video about ‘whatever subject’, (noting that your broad subject area is usually already covered by the thread you’re in), and possibly adding a name or organisation who made or uploaded it, you‘ll be ok.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,301
Location
East Midlands
East west rail posted a sped up video cab view video of a test train on EWR. I haven't seen it on other threads so will be posting here.
This is also my first time sharing a link to a video so if there is anything else I need to add for accessibility let me know

Video is East West Rail - Oxford to Milton Keynes in 1 minute
Thanks for that.

Just for the benefit of anyone who is not familiar with the facility and want to watch at a more leisurely pace (so you can actually observe some details), the gear icon allows you select different video speeds (e.g. I watched at 0.25 speed to make it a 4 minute journey).
 

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2019
Messages
8,044
Location
Surrey
East west rail posted a sped up video cab view video of a test train on EWR. I haven't seen it on other threads so will be posting here.
This is also my first time sharing a link to a video so if there is anything else I need to add for accessibility let me know

Video is East West Rail - Oxford to Milton Keynes in 1 minute
Nice to a railway where teh vegetation is well clear of the infrastructure
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Nice to a railway where teh vegetation is well clear of the infrastructure

You’d hope so as it’s effectively a brand new railway. Rather different to a decade ago when not only was the vegetation encroaching from both sides but trees were actually growing in the four foot.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,730
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
A question to the wise: the "5Fxx" EWR driver training turns, which have been running these past few weeks. I know the paths appear in future weeks' data - e.g. as on RTT - but do you know which future weeks the driving training runs are actually  scheduled?

Context:
I did "good son" bi-annual trip, to my elderly parents who live near the route. I took the opportunity to photograph one of the driver training turns, passing the "wide" alignment under the bridge at Whaddon.
Today's weather deteriorated rapidly, so my shots of 165012 are dull and lacking depth of field. I'll try again in early 2025.
 
Last edited:

DavidGrain

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2017
Messages
1,488
A question to the wise: the "5Fxx" EWR driver training turns, which have been running these past few weeks. I know the paths appear in future weeks' data - e.g. as on RTT - but do you know which future weeks the driving training runs are actually  scheduled?

Context:
I did "good son" bi-annual trip, to my elderly parents who live near the route. I took the opportunity to photograph one of the driver training turns, passing the "wide" alignment under the bridge at Whaddon.
Today's weather deteriorated rapidly, so my shots of 165012 are dull and lacking depth of field. I'll try again in early 2025.
My guess, and I have been criticised on here before for making assumptions, is that these runs are either the driver trainers doing their own route learning or they are existing Chiltern Drivers who will either transfer to this route or be reserve drivers who can come over to fill in. My reason for saying this is that the newly recruited drivers will have needed to do traction learning on the class 165 when, as we are aware, they will actually be driving class 196 trains so will have to retrain.
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
A question to the wise: the "5Fxx" EWR driver training turns, which have been running these past few weeks. I know the paths appear in future weeks' data - e.g. as on RTT - but do you know which future weeks the driving training runs are actually  scheduled?

Context:
I did "good son" bi-annual trip, to my elderly parents who live near the route. I took the opportunity to photograph one of the driver training turns, passing the "wide" alignment under the bridge at Whaddon.
Today's weather deteriorated rapidly, so my shots of 165012 are dull and lacking depth of field. I'll try again in early 2025.

It will depend entirely on availability of drivers and instructors. If one or the other are not available, the trains won’t run.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

My guess, and I have been criticised on here before for making assumptions, is that these runs are either the driver trainers doing their own route learning or they are existing Chiltern Drivers who will either transfer to this route or be reserve drivers who can come over to fill in. My reason for saying this is that the newly recruited drivers will have needed to do traction learning on the class 165 when, as we are aware, they will actually be driving class 196 trains so will have to retrain.

There won’t be any ‘reserve drivers’ coming over to fill in. Only Bletchley drivers will sign EWR and that currently includes a few drivers from other depots who are transferring to Bletchley in the near future.
 

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2010
Messages
2,135
Location
Charlbury
On the train from Oxford to Bicester Village yesterday, I noticed a DMU of some sort sitting in the (westmost) entrance to Bicester MOD - is this a Chiltern unit on EWR test runs?
 

fishwomp

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2020
Messages
1,352
Location
milton keynes
On the train from Oxford to Bicester Village yesterday, I noticed a DMU of some sort sitting in the (westmost) entrance to Bicester MOD - is this a Chiltern unit on EWR test runs?
There were 3 diagrams of EWR runs yesterday ( https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se.../0000-2359?stp=S&show=non-passenger&order=wtt )

None hung around long enough to have been the one you saw, I think

Bicester COD is where a ton of SWR EMUs are stored awaiting entry to service. Dark blue livery. Is it possible one has been dragged to the entrance to get picked up, now they are entering service?
 

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2010
Messages
2,135
Location
Charlbury
Bicester COD is where a ton of SWR EMUs are stored awaiting entry to service. Dark blue livery. Is it possible one has been dragged to the entrance to get picked up, now they are entering service?
That’s very possible. I didn’t get a proper look at it but SWR livery seems plausible. Thank you.
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
On the train from Oxford to Bicester Village yesterday, I noticed a DMU of some sort sitting in the (westmost) entrance to Bicester MOD - is this a Chiltern unit on EWR test runs?

Bear in mind that none of these trains are 'test runs' any more - the route is complete and open for traffic. The Chiltern ECS moves over EWR are now for the purposes of driver training / route learning.
 

vuzzeho

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2022
Messages
667
Location
London
I passed another 165 (5F92) yesterday. Are there no 196s available to train on?
Does Chiltern have them yet? I thought Chiltern was still waiting on them from WMT. I haven't seen any at Bletchley, which is where I thought they were to be maintained.
 

CR165022

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2019
Messages
1,440
Location
Buckinghamshire
Does Chiltern have them yet? I thought Chiltern was still waiting on them from WMT. I haven't seen any at Bletchley, which is where I thought they were to be maintained.
There are a few at Long Marston, waiting to be transferred, the others are still with WMT iirc.
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
I passed another 165 (5F92) yesterday. Are there no 196s available to train on?

Nobody at Chiltern signs 196s yet.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Does Chiltern have them yet? I thought Chiltern was still waiting on them from WMT. I haven't seen any at Bletchley, which is where I thought they were to be maintained.

The 6 units are now on sub-lease to Chiltern, but have not moved south yet.
 

RGM654

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2022
Messages
247
Location
Harrow
Not sure whether I should be asking on this thread but I haven't found a better one: is there a date for passenger services starting?
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,750
Location
Croydon
Test runs. Are the 196/0s being used yet for test runs or perhaps even got as far as for driver training ?.
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Test runs. Are the 196/0s being used yet for test runs or perhaps even got as far as for driver training ?.

No, and as stated upthread they are not 'test runs', they are driver route learning trains. Driver training on 196s commenced last week at Tyseley but it will be several weeks before 196s are used for driver training on EWR.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Er, any idea which year?

Rather depends on when (if) the contract gets signed I imagine.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,750
Location
Croydon
No, and as stated upthread they are not 'test runs', they are driver route learning trains. Driver training on 196s commenced last week at Tyseley but it will be several weeks before 196s are used for driver training on EWR.

...........................................
As I thought. Testing of the route is over and done with.

Is it worth changing the thread title to reflect imminent (fingers crossed) driver training ?.
 

Top