• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands Trains website and HSTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottMathew

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
49
Location
East Mids
Is there any way that I can find out which trains are Meridians (Class 222s) or HSTs? Just I am starting to get annoyed every time I want a HST, I end up having a meridian turn up at the platform! I remember when Midland Mainline used to specify what trains where HSTs on their timetable leaflets. EMT seem to be using more and more meridians than MML ever did. It's almost like a HST is a real treat now, it just shouldn't be this way :(
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Qwerty133

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2012
Messages
2,622
Location
Leicester/Sheffield
Is there any way that I can find out which trains are Meridians (Class 222s) or HSTs? Just I am starting to get annoyed every time I want a HST, I end up having a meridian turn up at the platform! I remember when Midland Mainline used to specify what trains where HSTs on their timetable leaflets. EMT seem to be using more and more meridians than MML ever did. It's almost like a HST is a real treat now, it just shouldn't be this way :(

HSTs are now mainly used on the Nottingham fasts
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,293
If you want a HST get the xx28 off Nottingham or the xx15 off StP (off peak for both).

But yeah, I'm pretty sure it says in the timetable...?
 

ScottMathew

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
49
Location
East Mids
Yeah I know they do on the printed timetable leaflets, just wondered if there was a way online to find out, as nine times out of ten I book all my tickets online and just collect at the station.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Downloadable timetables passed me by for some reason. How embarrassing. LOL. Cheers guys.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,293
There is a way? Look at the PDF timetable (ONLINE), check which trains are HSTs, and then book on that train?

Or am I just missing something?
 
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Messages
249
Location
Sheffield
I have found in the past that both the website and realtime trains can be wrong. Take the 0927 timed and scheduled as a Meridian but always a HST, which I have found out from my regular journeys to London.
 

ScottMathew

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
49
Location
East Mids
@ Meridian richard; I have noticed that as well. Or sometimes a specific train at a specific time will change what class it is. One day that same time train could be a meridian then the next day a HST. It's really annoying.
 

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
I have found in the past that both the website and realtime trains can be wrong. Take the 0927 timed and scheduled as a Meridian but always a HST, which I have found out from my regular journeys to London.

But only on a Saturday! Monday to Friday it's a solid 222. On a Saturday, the 0927 Sheffield to St Pancras and 1155 St Pancras to Sheffield are HSTs, the set then goes ECS to work the 1628 Nottingham to St Pancras.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,293
@ Meridian richard; I have noticed that as well. Or sometimes a specific train at a specific time will change what class it is. One day that same time train could be a meridian then the next day a HST. It's really annoying.

Tbf, they don't just do it for fun, there will be a reason, ie a HST/222 failed
 

ScottMathew

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
49
Location
East Mids
Noone's saying they do it for fun, but for someone who is HST-mad like myself, the reason is irrelevant, it's annoying! <(
 

Qwerty133

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2012
Messages
2,622
Location
Leicester/Sheffield
But only on a Saturday! Monday to Friday it's a solid 222. On a Saturday, the 0927 Sheffield to St Pancras and 1155 St Pancras to Sheffield are HSTs, the set then goes ECS to work the 1628 Nottingham to St Pancras.

one to avoid on a saturday then as well as all xx:57 to london (from leicester)
 

louis97

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
2,154
Location
Derby
Noone's saying they do it for fun, but for someone who is HST-mad like myself, the reason is irrelevant, it's annoying! <(

Takes a look here

The Mon-Fri HST diagrams are the most stable of the list, Saturday and Sunday diagrams can vary quite a lot particularly if they provide any extra capacity or if there are any engineering works.

Another method of trying to work out what a service is booked is to try and book a ticket and see what seat it gives you - try requesting a seat in the quiet zone, chances are if it wont give you a seat there, its either full or a 4/5-car 222. Ok, it could end up being a 7-car 222, but you can rule out the 4/5-cars which don't have a quiet zone.
 

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
one to avoid on a saturday then as well as all xx:57 to london (from leicester)

It's all a balancing act - the 'lively' ride of the HSTs particularly at the carriage ends vs the lack of seats on quite a few of the 222 operated services, which doesn't tend to be a problem on the HSTs during the day!

The best of both worlds are probably the Sheffield stoppers, which tend to be fairly quiet after Leicester to London.
 

MichaelAMW

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2010
Messages
1,021
Only vaguely connected with the thread, the usual 11.34 Nottingham to St Pancras, which is booked an HST from Leeds, was diverted via Derby yesterday and we were bussed Nottingham to EM Parkway. For some reason EMT thought a 34-seater bus would do as a fine replacement for the 400+ seats in the HST and we left with more than the allowed number of people standing and not everyone was taken. I hope they had a taxi provided.
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
I have found in the past that both the website and realtime trains can be wrong. Take the 0927 timed and scheduled as a Meridian but always a HST, which I have found out from my regular journeys to London.
Many people are under a misapprehension re "opentraintimes" and "realtimetrains" as has been pointed out many times on the Forum. The class quioted for a train is not what is diagrammed to work it but is a timing tool, i.e. HST timings are suitable for a 222 or vice versa.
 

Qwerty133

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2012
Messages
2,622
Location
Leicester/Sheffield
Many people are under a misapprehension re "opentraintimes" and "realtimetrains" as has been pointed out many times on the Forum. The class quioted for a train is not what is diagrammed to work it but is a timing tool, i.e. HST timings are suitable for a 222 or vice versa.

222s seem to accelerate faster as HSTs tend to lose a few minutes on stoppers that are normally meridians. (This might not be true as I'm only a passenger)
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
It is indeed correct - HSTs struggle to keep up with Meridian timings, and dwell times are inevitably longer (thanks to the sheep who struggle with the simple concept of closing a door).
 

louis97

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
2,154
Location
Derby
The best of both worlds are probably the Sheffield stoppers, which tend to be fairly quiet after Leicester to London.

You what?! complete opposite! Nottingham fasts are the best!
 

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
They are only the best if you actually like the HSTs which many enthusiasts don't seem to understand not everyone does :P

I'm not necessarily speaking for myself there by the way - but there are definitely people who book to avoid HSTs because the somewhat lively ride is a bit of a pain in the backside if you are a) trying to drink a coffee or b) do paperwork! Others dislike the slam doors and the seat design.

The Sheffield stoppers also don't get anywhere near as many megatrain types on board them as well, for example!

I personally am pretty much indifferent to the two types of train, except in that the HSTs cope far better with large quantities of luggage. Even they struggle on a Sunday though.
 

ScottMathew

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
49
Location
East Mids
AlexS, everything you described from the lively ride, the slam doors with the handles to the seat design, is only some of what I absolutely love about the HST. The best train (in my opinion, I must stress) to ever make it onto Britain's railways. There is not, never has been and never will be a train like the Class 43. It will be a sad, sad day for me and many other enthusiasts when they are eventually taken out of service.

To me, they are everything that a train should be. The noise of the power car, the smoke, the "lively" ride that you mentioned, the slam-doors with windows and handles which you can use manually, the overly noticeable sound of the wheels on the track just to name a few things are everything that a proper train ride should be :D

I realise we have moved away completely from the original subject of this thread btw :P
 

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
An HST is far superior to a Meridian anyday. ;)


#on topic: I think EMT are usually pretty reliable when allocating trains to diagrams - as has already been said, go for a xx:15 ex STP and an xx:28 ex NOT and it is virtually guaranteed to be an HST.

What irritates me is that the position of First Class varies with diagrams, but I understand that a train working from Derby to Nottingham ECS before an early morning service will effectively have reversed formation by the arrival in Nottingham by using Trent West to Trent East chord.
 

Qwerty133

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2012
Messages
2,622
Location
Leicester/Sheffield
They are only the best if you actually like the HSTs which many enthusiasts don't seem to understand not everyone does :P

I'm not necessarily speaking for myself there by the way - but there are definitely people who book to avoid HSTs because the somewhat lively ride is a bit of a pain in the backside if you are a) trying to drink a coffee or b) do paperwork! Others dislike the slam doors and the seat design.

The Sheffield stoppers also don't get anywhere near as many megatrain types on board them as well, for example!

I personally am pretty much indifferent to the two types of train, except in that the HSTs cope far better with large quantities of luggage. Even they struggle on a Sunday though.
The Sheffield stoppers are also best as they are mainly 5 cars, but I don't think ill say why on a public forum which could easily come up in google (but I have mentioned the reason in other threads)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top