• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands Trains - Journey information

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbym

New Member
Joined
13 Mar 2013
Messages
1
Hello all :)

This is my second time travelling though London, and the first time I booked with EMT. Now, the reason I booked the first time was because it was cheap (with my railcard added too) but it also gave me my platform numbers! even for the tube as well (which is handy for a 17 year old, small, skinny female who's scared of being lost in a huge place like that.)

But when I booked this time, my journey plan didn't give me any platform numbers. :( I'm leaving on the 30th of March, and I booked around 1 or 2 weeks before my journey last time and I still got the information I needed.

I'm just really afraid of missing my trains/getting the wrong tube in london because I got on the tube at the wrong platform (I know which tube I need, but all the 'westbound' 'eastbound' stuff kind of confuses me.)

So my question (finally :lol:) is

Is there any way to find out my platforms without running around the station and asking/looking at boards, OR being on the phone and being charged £2 a minute with a helpline??

Many thank you's. :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
It may help if you tell us your journey details.

EMT trains at St Pancras only use 4 platforms and they are right next to each other.

Of course, if you are incapable of reading or listening there is always the fail safe of asking someone at the stations(s)...
 

LCC106

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2011
Messages
1,490
I went to London on business a few years ago and must say I gave up on the idea of the tube and got a taxi to my final destination. Quite daunting for someone of reasonable intelligence who isn't used to the rail network down there...

As bradders1983 suggests, maybe if you could give fuller details of your journey someone will be able to help soon.
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
Are you on advances? If so, what are the trains you have to get on? You will see this on the reservation. If you post them here I could tell you the platform times (provided they are available as of now). Also, the tube shouldn't be too hard, whereabouts is your final destination? If you do miss the tube there will be one along within the next 10 minutes at the most, depending on the time of day.
 

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
Don't bother going off anything you know in advance because it can change on the day. There's nothing more irritating than dealing with someone who doesn't check the screens/listen to the announcements because some online app told them different.
 

Qwerty133

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2012
Messages
2,622
Location
Leicester/Sheffield
Hello all :)

This is my second time travelling though London, and the first time I booked with EMT. Now, the reason I booked the first time was because it was cheap (with my railcard added too) but it also gave me my platform numbers! even for the tube as well (which is handy for a 17 year old, small, skinny female who's scared of being lost in a huge place like that.)

But when I booked this time, my journey plan didn't give me any platform numbers. :( I'm leaving on the 30th of March, and I booked around 1 or 2 weeks before my journey last time and I still got the information I needed.

I'm just really afraid of missing my trains/getting the wrong tube in london because I got on the tube at the wrong platform (I know which tube I need, but all the 'westbound' 'eastbound' stuff kind of confuses me.)

So my question (finally :lol:) is

Is there any way to find out my platforms without running around the station and asking/looking at boards, OR being on the phone and being charged £2 a minute with a helpline??

Many thank you's. :D

most (if not all) tube stations have signs as you are entering the platforms saying what stations that platform is for.
 

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
I really doubt you'll get the wrong tube. It's really not that daunting and LU employ some great, helpful staff who I'm sure will help you with any problems you have.

If we know where you are going of course we can always give you more pointers! :)
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
The tube is easy. As you enter the platform there is a map/poster showing all the stations you can reach from that platform. Just check that where ever you're going to is shown on that map/poster.

Tell us where you're going and we'll tell you how to get there.
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
Don't bother going off anything you know in advance because it can change on the day. There's nothing more irritating than dealing with someone who doesn't check the screens/listen to the announcements because some online app told them different.

Well obviously not, it is just a guide, but it common sense to check anyway on the day to make sure. So yes I would check the advance info, but check anyway and as I say it is common sense to confirm on the day
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
I too would emphasise that knowing platform numbers is of very little significance when using much of the Tube network. I have used approximately 25 LU services in Zone 1 (for the uninitiated, that's Central London) in the past week, but only one of those had its platform number announced; often the signs do not even mention them.

You would be far better plotting your route on a Tube map in advance. If you have a smartphone, you may be able to get an app which does this for you (offline, too, in some cases) and also tells you where to change and how long the journey will take. TfL's Journey Planner also gives reasonably good advice. Tube station signage is incredibly clear, for the most part.

(And that's pretty low number of Tube journeys by my standards! :o ;))
 

Harbon 1

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2011
Messages
1,020
Location
Burton on Trent
All you have to do, is find out where you need to change, and just look a the maps. All the platforms at st Pancras go out through the same way, and as long as you know which line you need, you'll be covered for line interchanges :)
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
Worth adding that there are maps on the actual trains as well, and the announcements are very clear on tube trains.
 

Harbon 1

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2011
Messages
1,020
Location
Burton on Trent
Even if you go the wrong way on the tube, just hop off at the first stop, walk to the other platform and hop on the first one back
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top