• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands trains first class

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichabod05

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2012
Messages
43
Hi there,

Travelling on a first class ticket from Nottingham to London tomorrow (Sunday 16th) early am - just wondering what my food/drink situation will be. The website seems a bit vague and as it's a 2.5 hour journey I want to be prepared! Can
Anyone shed some light? I've done a search but only pulled up a thread from 2011 so just want to know if it's changed.

Thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silver Cobra

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Bedfordshire
My only experience of travelling in first class with EMT on a Sunday was when I travelled from Sheffield to St Pancras at around 1pm on an ALR last August. The complimentary offer for first class on that journey was a hot drink (tea for definite, but I think coffee was available as well), a bottle of water and a small pack of biscuits. I had to visit the buffet in order to collect my complimentary provisions.

The EMT website mentions that a complimentary breakfast offer is only available on selected services on Saturdays during the weekend, so I imagine you'll be offered the same as I was. The train manager should inform you of what is on offer, as they explained the complimentary offer to every passenger in first class while checking tickets during my journey.
 

howittpie

Member
Joined
11 May 2012
Messages
329
As said it is tea or coffee water and biscuits that has to be collected from the buffet counter. There is no at seat service on a Sunday.
 

ichabod05

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2012
Messages
43
Ah great, thank you. Broadly what I expected so I'll be getting a little something before the off to tide me over.

Thanks for the quick reply. You're a very helpful bunch on this site!
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,889
Location
Cambridge
Indeed, but if you've got a HST, it will be extremely comfortable.
It may be nice to see an EMT hst trundle up when in EMT territory, but when you're expecting a VTEC Hst and an EMT Hst comes up instead, theres nothing worse!!! I think anyway.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
It may be nice to see an EMT hst trundle up when in EMT territory, but when you're expecting a VTEC Hst and an EMT Hst comes up instead, theres nothing worse!!! I think anyway.

Presumably you get whatever constitutes VTEC's first class offering, only with much more comfortable seating.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
The exEMT set seats are low back and weird, plus not leather!!!

They're like a comfortable armchair which you can settle back into :)

And this leather seat business is a bit of a modern fad. I far prefer a nice, traditional moquette to sliding around on leather.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,889
Location
Cambridge
Fair enough :D

Are the VTEC sets not comfortable then? I'm traveling in one for the first time on Sat
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
Fair enough :D

Are the VTEC sets not comfortable then? I'm traveling in one for the first time on Sat

Not as comfortable in my opinion - but others disagree.

I always think the lower back seats give a more open and airey layout.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
They're like a comfortable armchair which you can settle back into :)

And this leather seat business is a bit of a modern fad. I far prefer a nice, traditional moquette to sliding around on leather.

I'm almost tempted to see if there is a cheap 1st to Nottingham available for when I'm in London next month.

The old HST 1st class seats were the best, you sank into them and they were really comfy.

Also not a fan of the leather, particularly in weather like what we are having just now. If the AC isn't tiptop it gets a bit warm after a while.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
I'm almost tempted to see if there is a cheap 1st to Nottingham available for when I'm in London next month.

The old HST 1st class seats were the best, you sank into them and they were really comfy.

Also not a fan of the leather, particularly in weather like what we are having just now. If the AC isn't tiptop it gets a bit warm after a while.

Indeed. Make sure you book the right one though - they alternate them with 222's.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,389
222s have leather seats, I'd go for those!

Quite the worst of the leather so far used in British trains - seems like they went for the cheapest option when they did the 222s.

I'm not sure what was wrong with the moquette previously fitted.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,727
Location
West Riding
I'm fairly sure that the HSTs also have leather seats, along with a fair whack of more space.

No they don't, they are low, cushioned affairs. Comfortable at first, but less so as the journey goes on. On the 222's in 1st I find I slide out of the leather seats, so you don't have that issue on EMT HST's.

As for EMT first class, it's great on a midweek breakfast service, otherwise just light refreshments. The last Sunday I travelled on, it was a bank holiday so there were no refreshments at all.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,755
Location
Up North
No they don't, they are low, cushioned affairs. Comfortable at first, but less so as the journey goes on. On the 222's in 1st I find I slide out of the leather seats, so you don't have that issue on EMT HST's.

As for EMT first class, it's great on a midweek breakfast service, otherwise just light refreshments. The last Sunday I travelled on, it was a bank holiday so there were no refreshments at all.
I stand corrected, I can just remember the leather cushion on the back of the seat from when it was with VTEC and hadn't been done up yet.

Still, it was decent enough from Newcastle to Edinburgh.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top