• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands Franchise 2019-

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,341
Location
Herts
The ITT document suggests that the proposed implementation date of the 'split' will coincide with the "boost" in local services, specifically referring to the impact on staff. Presumably the increased number of services in Lincolnshire will mean more work for Nottingham depot.

Ripping the franchise, and the depot's work, into little bits - as suggested above - seems entirely contrary to that. What benefits could arise from shifting Notts - Worksop and Derby - Crewe services from a franchise that has traincrew depots convenient for both to a franchise that has depots convenient for neither? Similar for transferring Liverpool - Norwich in its entirety to XC.


I agree , however - unless things have changed , there were some onerous Nottingham early / night turns that had the first departure from Liverpool sourced by an ECS from Nottingham in the very small hours - pretty dispiriting work before you even see or carry a passenger.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,934
I agree , however - unless things have changed , there were some onerous Nottingham early / night turns that had the first departure from Liverpool sourced by an ECS from Nottingham in the very small hours - pretty dispiriting work before you even see or carry a passenger.
There’s still an 0400-ish departure, empties to Liverpool. I think a lot like it because they’re finished by mid to late morning and have the rest of the day to themselves! Maybe it’d be slightly easier to resource the northern half of the route from Sheffield and depots west of there, although the two ecs moves (one each way) are the only inefficiency at the moment really, and they’re used to keep up route knowledge on diversions anyway. My point, though, is that XC are in an even worse position with only one current traincrew depot on the route and very little relevant route knowledge as things stand!
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,341
Location
Herts
There’s still an 0400-ish departure, empties to Liverpool. I think a lot like it because they’re finished by mid to late morning and have the rest of the day to themselves! Maybe it’d be slightly easier to resource the northern half of the route from Sheffield and depots west of there, although the two ecs moves (one each way) are the only inefficiency at the moment really, and they’re used to keep up route knowledge on diversions anyway. My point, though, is that XC are in an even worse position with only one current traincrew depot on the route and very little relevant route knowledge as things stand!


All right this time of year , but grim in the dark months ! - mind you there used to be some awful GW turns , like 0400 Old Oak to Hereford via Paddington - ECS - off topic I know - but there we are. Not everything fits .....
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,928
There’s still an 0400-ish departure, empties to Liverpool. I think a lot like it because they’re finished by mid to late morning and have the rest of the day to themselves! Maybe it’d be slightly easier to resource the northern half of the route from Sheffield and depots west of there, although the two ecs moves (one each way) are the only inefficiency at the moment really, and they’re used to keep up route knowledge on diversions anyway. My point, though, is that XC are in an even worse position with only one current traincrew depot on the route and very little relevant route knowledge as things stand!

The guards turns are now 0340ish to 1034 and 0340ish to 1220 (and frequently extended starting earlier than that) - you can keep them!

I doubt that any traincrew redundancies will feature. More likely that Nottingham crews will be more eastern focussed.

On an entirely personal level I'll not be sad to see it go. Short formations, tired rolling stock and regulation that seems to favour every other service on the network (I might just get out and walk off next time a procession of late running trains destroy my hopes of an on time finish at Castlefield Junction) have destroyed the enthusiasm I used to have for working the long distance services and I'll happily settle for more Lincs work instead. The main sad thing is the prospect of another 3.5 years of it with no improvement in sight. I'll miss the Hope Valley though - the morning and evening local services are my favourite trains to work.

From a business level though I can't help but be bitter as the wastage of millions of hours worth of route knowledge to hive another profitable route off to TPE as an entirely paperwork based exercise. As a part Intercity operator with staff experienced in working the route there's no reason EM couldn't provide an equally good and competitive service with the right investment. It's like an all consuming fungus eating everything in it's path.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
The guards turns are now 0340ish to 1034 and 0340ish to 1220 (and frequently extended starting earlier than that) - you can keep them!

I doubt that any traincrew redundancies will feature. More likely that Nottingham crews will be more eastern focussed.

On an entirely personal level I'll not be sad to see it go. Short formations, tired rolling stock and regulation that seems to favour every other service on the network (I might just get out and walk off next time a procession of late running trains destroy my hopes of an on time finish at Castlefield Junction) have destroyed the enthusiasm I used to have for working the long distance services and I'll happily settle for more Lincs work instead. The main sad thing is the prospect of another 3.5 years of it with no improvement in sight. I'll miss the Hope Valley though - the morning and evening local services are my favourite trains to work.

From a business level though I can't help but be bitter as the wastage of millions of hours worth of route knowledge to hive another profitable route off to TPE as an entirely paperwork based exercise. As a part Intercity operator with staff experienced in working the route there's no reason EM couldn't provide an equally good and competitive service with the right investment. It's like an all consuming fungus eating everything in it's path.

I've usually found my journeys by EMT on the Hope Valley more comfortable than equivalent journeys on TPE. Getting a seat and window is more important than how 'tired' the train interior is.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,928
I've usually found my journeys by EMT on the Hope Valley more comfortable than equivalent journeys on TPE. Getting a seat and window is more important than how 'tired' the train interior is.

When I say tired I mean mechanically rather than the interior which has actually held up pretty well (I can assure you EMT even deploy hoovers each night which having seen some other TOC's trains I can only assume they don't!) - the DMU fleet is on it's backside. Apart from the usual 153 Achilles heels (low coolant issues causing failure, water cascading through window seals etc) they actually seem to plod about fairly well - the 156s and 158s though seem to those of us working them to be about on their last legs. It ranges from big things like engine failure to little things like having to reassemble door panels when they've dropped to bits.
 

Kneedown

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2007
Messages
1,837
Location
Nottinghamshire
No one has mentioned the 80 odd Traincrew redundancies (approx 40 Drivers 40 Conductors) when the Nottm - Liverpool part goes.
I don't think they will 'walk over' to Northern or TPE either. Northern Traincrew already go to Nottm and TPE Traincrew only need to Route learn Sheffield to Nottingham. A damn sight cheaper than sourcing a Traincrew building + managers and then Traction train all the staff on ' units/trains at Nottingham.

More likely scenario IMO, if no new work is forthcoming to compensate for the loss, is to introduce Sundays into the working week. Just about enough surplus Traincrew to bring this about at zero cost to the company.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
When I say tired I mean mechanically rather than the interior which has actually held up pretty well (I can assure you EMT even deploy hoovers each night which having seen some other TOC's trains I can only assume they don't!) - the DMU fleet is on it's backside. Apart from the usual 153 Achilles heels (low coolant issues causing failure, water cascading through window seals etc) they actually seem to plod about fairly well - the 156s and 158s though seem to those of us working them to be about on their last legs. It ranges from big things like engine failure to little things like having to reassemble door panels when they've dropped to bits.

As long as they still move - and if not, as long as there's a 153 to shove on the end in its place, it works for me.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,928
Tysotape/Etchplast is a wonderful thing... ;)

I carry a multi tool as it has helped me out of numerous little evils and last time I had one fall to bits on me (156 panel latch) I managed to grub around and find enough stray screws and so on in cupboards to put it back together again till a fitter could do it 'properly' IE do much the same as me but with slightly better equipped stores.

I've always carried a multi tool and a roll of duct tape - they can get you out of most problems on a 15x!
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,928
Supposed to happen by May next year anyway, even at Nottingham!

Not for guards. We are about 50/50 not in at all/committed at Nottingham.

As long as they still move - and if not, as long as there's a 153 to shove on the end in its place, it works for me.

I can promise you that dragging yourself into work for another shortformed peak hour train that you know has had failed air con for months is just depressing - explaining to someone why they should consider themselves lucky to have a 153 with no seat back tables or arm rests (153311 I'm looking at you) on a 2 hr 40 journey is just the icing on the cake!
 

atraindriver

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2014
Messages
426
Location
Enjoying retirement
Not for guards. We are about 50/50 not in at all/committed at Nottingham.
Apologies, I was thinking of drivers. I think it'll be a struggle to get it in for Notts drivers though, given how difficult it has been to get it working at the majority opt-in depots!

I can promise you that dragging yourself into work for another shortformed peak hour train that you know has had failed air con for months is just depressing - explaining to someone why they should consider themselves lucky to have a 153 with no seat back tables or arm rests (153311 I'm looking at you) on a 2 hr 40 journey is just the icing on the cake!
I generally find that telling the truth and letting it be known just how peed off you were with the situation helps (as you know we long ago lost most of our 2-car workings out in the Flatlands, with the usual ramifications of daily overloading of single 153s). But yes, it is depressing, and I think the refusal of the current TOC to acknowledge that there even is an issue, let alone take it seriously, is one reason quite a %age of the staff won't be sorry to see the end of the franchise, even if the next operating group are a bunch of so-and-so's.
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,934
The guards turns are now 0340ish to 1034 and 0340ish to 1220 (and frequently extended starting earlier than that) - you can keep them!

I doubt that any traincrew redundancies will feature. More likely that Nottingham crews will be more eastern focussed.

On an entirely personal level I'll not be sad to see it go. Short formations, tired rolling stock and regulation that seems to favour every other service on the network (I might just get out and walk off next time a procession of late running trains destroy my hopes of an on time finish at Castlefield Junction) have destroyed the enthusiasm I used to have for working the long distance services and I'll happily settle for more Lincs work instead. The main sad thing is the prospect of another 3.5 years of it with no improvement in sight. I'll miss the Hope Valley though - the morning and evening local services are my favourite trains to work.

From a business level though I can't help but be bitter as the wastage of millions of hours worth of route knowledge to hive another profitable route off to TPE as an entirely paperwork based exercise. As a part Intercity operator with staff experienced in working the route there's no reason EM couldn't provide an equally good and competitive service with the right investment. It's like an all consuming fungus eating everything in it's path.
I can't really comment on the work itself yet from a personal point of view (other than to agree that 0340ish to 1220 is a horrible concept!). It's the business side of it that puzzles me, the obsession with trying to fit everything into little tidy boxes or to make maps where everything looks nice that does me, taking a thoroughly unworkable solution and setting out to find any minor problem to justify it. I don't know why the DfT are so determined to split the route - all that I can think is that they've got themselves into a position where they'll soon have a decent number of new-ish trains with a dedicated depot and maintenance contract but no work for them, and that's what's driving the decisions rather than what's best for the passengers. I really don't understand some of the suggestions on here - taking one of a depot's core routes out of the franchise and giving it to another which doesn't have any sort of presence near either end of the route, least of all at the busiest section with the most intensive service. All very bizarre!
 

BR_Nick1980

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2018
Messages
8
Lincoln will be the big winner - they sign to Cleethorpes and will probably learn Barton on Humber. They also sign Lincoln - Donny. Nottingham crews don't. More cost if they have to Learn them. Admittedly we could take some of Lincoln's current Leicester services and we do sign Lincoln to Peterborough, although only about 60 Drivers sign - so more R/Learning required.
It's mainly the short-sightedness of the management. They have been blinkered to the MML and just not invested in the 'Local' side of things. When GWR got rid of most of the 180's 8 or 9 years ago Stagecoach were offered them but turned them down - citing reliability problems. A missed opportunity in my eyes and the question of splitting the Liverpool - Norwich would never have been asked!!
 

atraindriver

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2014
Messages
426
Location
Enjoying retirement
Lincoln will be the big winner
Will they? Routes move around depots; Lincoln gained and lost Birmingham, losing it well before CT was split up. Boston gained and lost Doncaster under CT. Norwich has gained Worksop (guards) and Leicester (drivers) under EMT; who's to say they won't lose it and learn Peterborough-Lincoln-Donny instead?
The new franchise may offer to run a new Sheffield - Stansted Airport service, crewed from Nottingham; they may choose to run only what's required in the ITT.

None of us have any way of knowing what the next franchisee will decide to do. They may go for super-depots (like RRC tried when they started centralising all the western work at Birmingham New Street), or they may go for sub-depots (look at Northern with some of their tiny depots such as Harrogate). They may stick with the status-quo; they may go for a complete rehash. They may close depots; they may open depots.
None of us know what will happen, and it's probably not wise to assume that we do.
 

The Ham

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Jul 2012
Messages
12,044
IE do much the same as me but with slightly better equipped stores.

... so a tin of screws (mostly picked up from the floor of trains) an industrial sized roll of duct tape and a rack of tools then?
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
Not for guards. We are about 50/50 not in at all/committed at Nottingham.



I can promise you that dragging yourself into work for another shortformed peak hour train that you know has had failed air con for months is just depressing - explaining to someone why they should consider themselves lucky to have a 153 with no seat back tables or arm rests (153311 I'm looking at you) on a 2 hr 40 journey is just the icing on the cake!

I´m resigned to doing 1hr plus journeys without tables or armreasts in Northern land, so whilst not ideal, its not a deal breaker.

I´ve tried all the trans pennine options between Manchester and Yorkshire on a Saturday evening over the last ten years, and you may be shocked to learn that yours is far and away the best one.
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,278
Lincoln will be the big winner - they sign to Cleethorpes and will probably learn Barton on Humber. They also sign Lincoln - Donny. Nottingham crews don't. More cost if they have to Learn them. Admittedly we could take some of Lincoln's current Leicester services and we do sign Lincoln to Peterborough, although only about 60 Drivers sign - so more R/Learning required.
It's mainly the short-sightedness of the management. They have been blinkered to the MML and just not invested in the 'Local' side of things. When GWR got rid of most of the 180's 8 or 9 years ago Stagecoach were offered them but turned them down - citing reliability problems. A missed opportunity in my eyes and the question of splitting the Liverpool - Norwich would never have been asked!!
You might find a greater cost in extending facilities for additional Traincrew at Lincoln where there are approximately 60 FTEs, extending stabling space (its used almost to capacity) and increasing staff parking for those extra cars that will be used.

Aside from a small increase in headcount at Lincoln I can't see them gaining a huge amount of work, not when another depot is losing over a dozen turns.

As for the talk of redundancies from other folk on here, that's not going to happen.
I agree , however - unless things have changed , there were some onerous Nottingham early / night turns that had the first departure from Liverpool sourced by an ECS from Nottingham in the very small hours - pretty dispiriting work before you even see or carry a passenger.
I quite like those turns thanks. You obviously have no idea on the views of the Traincrew who work the turns to make such a daft statement. I finish at 0930 next Tuesday. I can look at a diversion I've not been over for a while, read a book, listen to music, listen to an audio book, have a kip, eat my breakfast, etc etc. How on earth is that 'dispiriting'???
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,928
I quite like those turns thanks. You obviously have no idea on the views of the Traincrew who work the turns to make such a daft statement. I finish at 0930 next Tuesday. I can look at a diversion I've not been over for a while, read a book, listen to music, listen to an audio book, have a kip, eat my breakfast, etc etc. How on earth is that 'dispiriting'???

That's somewhat unfair - they're very much marmite turns. I hate them. Get up at 0145. Drag myself into work. Put reservations on. Grunt hello at equally knackered colleagues. Sit in uncomfortable seats to Liverpool. Turn around and come back quickly on the first job. Have a leisurely breakfast at Spoons on the second (The only plus point!). Be wedged out on the way back and thanks to a combination of Network Rail, Northern and TPE being unable to run a bath turn an on time departure from Birchwood into a 10-20 late arrival in Manchester. Get moaned at all the way across the Hope Valley by people who never make their connections but still keep catching the same trains. Get home, fall asleep through exhaustion. On a Saturday, replace getting home with taking the busiest daytrippers train up to Matlock and getting home at gone 1330.
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,278
That's somewhat unfair - they're very much marmite turns. I hate them. Get up at 0145. Drag myself into work. Put reservations on. Grunt hello at equally knackered colleagues. Sit in uncomfortable seats to Liverpool. Turn around and come back quickly on the first job. Have a leisurely breakfast at Spoons on the second (The only plus point!). Be wedged out on the way back and thanks to a combination of Network Rail, Northern and TPE being unable to run a bath turn an on time departure from Birchwood into a 10-20 late arrival in Manchester. Get moaned at all the way across the Hope Valley by people who never make their connections but still keep catching the same trains. Get home, fall asleep through exhaustion. On a Saturday, replace getting home with taking the busiest daytrippers train up to Matlock and getting home at gone 1330.
If we took a survey of the depot I'm sure more would prefer them than not.
 

317 forever

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2010
Messages
3,290
Location
North West
It does.
The branding must be East Midlands Railway.
A subtle change but an important one none the less.
That means it's highly likely the Stagecoach colours will disappear, even if it's them running the service as I can't see using Stagecoach branding colours with a different brand name, but I could be proved wrong.

New franchises seem to be taking up standard names irrespective of owners. Examples are ScotRail, Thameslink, TransPennine Express and Northern. So, I am not surprised by the decision in advance of the trading name East Midlands Railway.
 

317 forever

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2010
Messages
3,290
Location
North West
Wouldn’t it be a waste of tome and money though if let’s say Stagecoach retained the franchise and repainted all the trains.

This is the kind of thing that happened when First retained TransPennine Express and seriously shrank the reference to First.
 
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
377
As long as the branding is a nice modernist design which is marketable I wouldn't be overly concerned. Hopefully they will not make the same mistakes as on Thameslink with the white and blue doors. Horrible tacky plain design and they always look messy because they dont hide the mud very well.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
This is the kind of thing that happened when First retained TransPennine Express and seriously shrank the reference to First.

Technically they didn't retain the franchise though. The old one was a First/Kelios franchise and the old TPE logo contained some subtle Kelios branding.
 
Joined
25 Jan 2016
Messages
569
Location
Wolverhampton
New franchises seem to be taking up standard names irrespective of owners. Examples are ScotRail, Thameslink, TransPennine Express and Northern. So, I am not surprised by the decision in advance of the trading name East Midlands Railway.

For the record and something may have a small impact in having it as EMR, East Midlands Railway Limited is a dormant company owned by Go-Ahead
 

James90012

Member
Joined
21 Sep 2016
Messages
188
It reads to me that East Midlands Railway is a capitalised term used to refer to the brand (whatever that would be) in the ITT, and doesn't actually refer to the brand itself.

Basically, I don't think EMR is specified although it follows that some Bidders may apply it.
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,278
It reads to me that East Midlands Railway is a capitalised term used to refer to the brand (whatever that would be) in the ITT, and doesn't actually refer to the brand itself.

Basically, I don't think EMR is specified although it follows that some Bidders may apply it.
No, it is the name that will be used.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top