• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Linton and Reston re-openings delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
Joined
4 Mar 2013
Messages
8,144
Location
Leeds
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Altnabreac

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2013
Messages
2,425
Location
Salt & Vinegar
The BBC is reporting that the Scottish Government strongly supports the Reston and East Linton re-openings and is prepared to increase its contribution to 60%, rather than the usual 50%:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-37939808

Indeed a clever bit of work from Scottish Government this offer.

There are 2 options for the local councils to choose between. Either cap their costs but the project will be delayed into CP6 as Scottish Government will pay for it out of a new project to deliver a package of works on the ECML in CP6. This will mean a delay of at least a year and more likely 2 years.

Or proceed with the increased Scottish Government support (to 60%) but any cost overrun risk is borne by the councils.

My guess is the councils will choose the delay and if the issue should come up in the local elections next year (which it will) then the SNP who are the opposition in East Lothian can blame the current administration for the delays.
 

hibtastic

Member
Joined
19 Oct 2014
Messages
288
The opening of East Linton station has been discussed for so long now I had started to wonder if we would ever see any work start. I would love to see it reopened though and perhaps it is closer to happening than I thought.
 

tomatwark

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2013
Messages
64
I would certainly like to see Reston reopened, it would be my nearest station.

But I guess that it will now wait for CP6 as Scottish Borders priority is to nail bits of cloth to the wall in Galashiels and call it a tourist attraction, this will give them more money to do that.

Also by the time it is possibly done and Nicola has her way, Scotland will be independent, the price of Oil will be $200 dollars a barrel and Scotland will be rich.

In reality if Scotland goes independent there will probably be no money for this anyway.
 

Altnabreac

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2013
Messages
2,425
Location
Salt & Vinegar
The BBC are reporting that the two local councils involved have agreed to make contributions to the re-opening of the two stations, and that there are calls for the re-openings to happen sooner than what it reports as a possible re-opening in 2021:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-38833773

Overall good news I think. John Lamont is a professional complainer so I wouldn't worry too much about what he says. Suspect 2021 is a reasonable timescale and allows some more development to be targeted in those areas as neither station will have a great business case at present but targeted local development can certainly help them be a success.

I'm still sceptical about Reston but it is undeniable there is a large hinterland there with no good rail access so potentially it could generate the same sort of traffic as Laurencekirk which gets 100,000 entries and exits per year.
 
Last edited:

tomatwark

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2013
Messages
64
I think Reston should do quite well, providing that the service is regular enough and the parking is got right.

I live about 15 miles from it and would use it as Berwick is further and also the parking is bad.

Tweedbank is even further still and by the time I have driven to it and then caught the train, I may as well drive to Edinburgh or at least one of the stops in between.

However the IF the Waverley line opens back to Hawick with a stop at St Boswells and again with good parking it then would be a toss up between the two.

I suspect the if both happen and Reston's service is not regular enough it may then not be viable.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top