Multiple Unit
Member
- Joined
- 2 Jan 2010
- Messages
- 213
Well the day Started off fine cathching the train arround 6am from Birkenhead Ctl through to Liverpool Ctl then on to Hunts Cross on a Northern line train in order to catch the 07.59 East Midlands Trains Service Destin for Nottingham and Norwich via Warrington & Manchester.
It was a Quick dash (ish) to the Metro Link for the Bury tram but when going to buy my ticket I relaised that I didn't have enogh change (oops) and as the Old Machines don't accept notes had had to go back up stairs to sainsburys and get some change this made me miss the tram I inteneded to catch.
The next one bounf for Bury came 12mins later fine up untill Bess ot Bar (Excuse me if spelt wrong) where the driver announce that Due to Engineering Works this service will terminate at Whitefield where road transport is provided for the onward Journey.
I thoght blow that and got a taxi within a few minutes of ending the call only cost a pound more than from Radcliffe ie..£6.00 compared to £5.00 from RAD-where I normaly get off as I find the Tram terminus at Bury not very accesible as a few ties I have been there the Esculator had been out of order along with the lift too.
I finaly arrived at Bolton St at about 10am where the Clas 122 L501 unit was stabled in the platform looking very smart in BR Blue and was being prepared for the 10.35 Depature to Heywood.
This was my first Journey where it was amazing to see thae line in a different veiw ie..from the front comapred to the side normaly seen from, I was very impresed witht he prefromance of this unit they have doen an exerlent job of restoring it inside and out the engine sounded pretty good as well though it was attached to half of another DMU as well not sure why.
I swopped over to the Cklass 207 Unit on the return Journey at Bolton St but wasnt as impresed with this unit as seemed to be in a rather poor interior state though provided a resoanble ride since i hadn't been on one of this type before the engine isnt half "LOUD" though and cans ee the resblence to the name thumper.
I did about a round trip on this unit then it was time for home I got a taxi back to whitefield form the taxi office accross the road though i was not very happy with this company as they seem to be a rip off what only cost £6.00 on the way up should have cost £8.30 on the way back only about 1.5miles difference than from Radcliffe hardly anty traffic or waiting time i I had to say to the dirver at the end of the I only had the £7.00 and appologised etc one minute you look at the meter and its only £3+ then the next minute its gone up £6odd, If anyone knows the reson for this then please let us know.
Not much of a wait for a tram for the return leg but when the tram got Shude Hill it failed on the hill just before the stop it took about 10 to 12 minutes to get it going again which made me miss the14.50 to Chester I was going to get on the 15.39 but there was that many people pushing and shuving to get on it wasn't worth it and waited for the 15.50 to Chester which suprisiongly wasn't all that busy though finaly got home latter than planned but an evenfull day out all round and was nicce to travel on the ELR on Something Different for a Change.
Still one thing bugs me a littel about the ELR is that they don't seem to put the heaters on on the trains or cariages which if like me Diabetic Type 1 can be a bit hard on the old bladder and as botth Units traveled on ont his day had no toilets on them and as Heywood was closed it was even harder even thogh I had been before I got on the first train this being the only down side to the ELR.
It was a Quick dash (ish) to the Metro Link for the Bury tram but when going to buy my ticket I relaised that I didn't have enogh change (oops) and as the Old Machines don't accept notes had had to go back up stairs to sainsburys and get some change this made me miss the tram I inteneded to catch.
The next one bounf for Bury came 12mins later fine up untill Bess ot Bar (Excuse me if spelt wrong) where the driver announce that Due to Engineering Works this service will terminate at Whitefield where road transport is provided for the onward Journey.
I thoght blow that and got a taxi within a few minutes of ending the call only cost a pound more than from Radcliffe ie..£6.00 compared to £5.00 from RAD-where I normaly get off as I find the Tram terminus at Bury not very accesible as a few ties I have been there the Esculator had been out of order along with the lift too.
I finaly arrived at Bolton St at about 10am where the Clas 122 L501 unit was stabled in the platform looking very smart in BR Blue and was being prepared for the 10.35 Depature to Heywood.
This was my first Journey where it was amazing to see thae line in a different veiw ie..from the front comapred to the side normaly seen from, I was very impresed witht he prefromance of this unit they have doen an exerlent job of restoring it inside and out the engine sounded pretty good as well though it was attached to half of another DMU as well not sure why.
I swopped over to the Cklass 207 Unit on the return Journey at Bolton St but wasnt as impresed with this unit as seemed to be in a rather poor interior state though provided a resoanble ride since i hadn't been on one of this type before the engine isnt half "LOUD" though and cans ee the resblence to the name thumper.
I did about a round trip on this unit then it was time for home I got a taxi back to whitefield form the taxi office accross the road though i was not very happy with this company as they seem to be a rip off what only cost £6.00 on the way up should have cost £8.30 on the way back only about 1.5miles difference than from Radcliffe hardly anty traffic or waiting time i I had to say to the dirver at the end of the I only had the £7.00 and appologised etc one minute you look at the meter and its only £3+ then the next minute its gone up £6odd, If anyone knows the reson for this then please let us know.
Not much of a wait for a tram for the return leg but when the tram got Shude Hill it failed on the hill just before the stop it took about 10 to 12 minutes to get it going again which made me miss the14.50 to Chester I was going to get on the 15.39 but there was that many people pushing and shuving to get on it wasn't worth it and waited for the 15.50 to Chester which suprisiongly wasn't all that busy though finaly got home latter than planned but an evenfull day out all round and was nicce to travel on the ELR on Something Different for a Change.
Still one thing bugs me a littel about the ELR is that they don't seem to put the heaters on on the trains or cariages which if like me Diabetic Type 1 can be a bit hard on the old bladder and as botth Units traveled on ont his day had no toilets on them and as Heywood was closed it was even harder even thogh I had been before I got on the first train this being the only down side to the ELR.
Last edited: