• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Lancs Railway 1940's Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerB

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2013
Messages
109
Location
Sheffield
Fancied a day out at the ELR 1940's weekend in Bury. :D I decided to take the train from Sheffield as I haven't used a train since 1983 (apart from a few heritage lines).

Booking online was fairly straightforward, but by specifying the times I wanted to travel implied to me that I'd be committed to using those trains, although in small type it said "any off-peak train." I don't like ambiguities but ordered the tickets anyway.

I would have appreciated it if the booking fee was mentioned at the outset too! :mad:

Had to go into town so collected my tickets from Sheffield station, had to ask someone how to use the machine :oops: - instructions on the website would have been useful to forewarn me. Also I didn't realise I would get two tickets, one outward and one inward so I nearly walked away leaving the 2nd one behind!:roll:

The tickets were printed with just the date so I reckoned I could use them on any train, which is just as well because I caught an earlier train out and a later one back.

They were subject to "The Permitted Route" and "Restrictions" although I couldn't find details of either anywhere.

The tickets were Sheffield-Bury and included the tram from Manchester Piccadilly to Bury, although nobody checked tickets on the tram.

Train information is a lot better than in the old days - the illuminated signs are great, I could never make out the old Tannoy announcements.

I like the online station maps too.

Coming home the train for Sheffield from Piccadilly on Platform 1 looked like a shed on wheels* and stopped at every station on the way. Luckily I studied the timetables more closely and found a posh* train on platform 13 which only stopped at 2 stations before mine. They could have laid a train on from the booking hall to platform 13 though! :roll:

So all in all a good day out with no arguments with ticket inspectors. I did take screen prints with me just in case.

*Please excuse the technical jargon, I wouldn't know an A4 from a piece of paper.:oops:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As for the ELR event itself - Brilliant!

I planned an itinerary, which left me with an hour on Bury Bolton Street station to have a quick look round. I bought a Day Rover ticket (£16 with my bus-pass) which meant I could use any trains for the whole day, hopping on and off as I pleased (at the stations, obviously).

There were stalls, a couple of great singers, Paul & Natasha Harper, belted out 1930/40s songs, people milling around in army uniforms, including some German soldiers, I couldn't understand what they were saying, something about "when's the next train to Poland" I think. The ticket included admission to the Bury Transport Museum.

Then on to Ramsbottom. This is a smashing Lancashire cotton town, the place was buzzing. More soldiers on the platform. a Home Guard unit "marching" all over the place, some Yanks sitting on the platform getting in everybody's way, the lovely Katie Spitfire singing her heart out. Loads of WWII army vehicles and classic cars around the town. I missed the WWII battle enactment.

Left there to have my sandwiches on Irwell Vale station, a delightful quiet country halt. It was nice to relax in the shade of the shelter, as it was getting quite hot by that time.

Took the next train south to Summerseat, spent an hour walking round, back to Bury for a flypast by a Spitfire and Hurricane and then back home.

A great day out for less than £40. I'll put some pictures up on my Flickr page soon.

EDIT Forgot to mention - all the ELR trains were steam hauled.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
Welcome to the forum, and I'm pleased you had an enjoyable day on the ELR.

It seems from what you say about the booking fee that you bought your tickets through "The Trainline"

It's always better to buy either from a booking-office or through the Train Operating Companys' own websites - Virgin, East Coast or whatever - then there are no booking fees.

Your description of the stopping service from Manchester to Sheffield is perhaps one of the more generous I've heard for the Cl.150 or Cl.142 unit which may have been forming the train! You're better, as you found out, waiting for one of the express services - either East Midlands Trains or Trans-Pennine Express.

You're right about the distance from the concourse to platform 13 at Piccadilly station, although there is a travelator, which is some help. I know it's easy to be wise after the event, but should you need to get from the Metrolink station to platform 13 again, you could use the Fairfield St lift from the street level by the car-park in the undercroft. It's only a short walk from the Metrolink platforms to this lift, and it delivers you directly to the waiting area on the bridge for platforms 13 & 14.
 
Last edited:

RogerB

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2013
Messages
109
Location
Sheffield
Thanks for welcome & tips.

The Travelator was broken.

If I booked through a TOC website would I be limited to their trains?

I did use Trainline.com which was an experience in itself. After look at that website I went onto Directrail.com, then when I went back to Trainline I got taken straight to Directrail!

I had to clear my cookies to stop this happening. It looks like Directrail was hijacking Trainline's URLs.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
Thanks for welcome & tips.


If I booked through a TOC website would I be limited to their trains?


No - not at all.

Sometimes a TOC website has special offers for their trains, for example East Coast has a reduction for their own tickets for booking online, and you get to know which TOC website to use by experience, and depending on whether their offers are beneficial to you.

But all TOC websites sell tickets for all journeys, and none have booking fees!
 
Last edited:

RogerB

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2013
Messages
109
Location
Sheffield
What would happen then if I booked a discounted journey with TOC #1, but missed their train and had to use another TOC?

I can't see TOC #1 being happy about selling discounted tickets to be used on competitors' trains.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
It would depend on the reason you missed it.

For example, if you booked an "Advance" ticket [one usually cheaper but specifically for a certain train on a certain day], from, say Doncaster to London with East Coast, and you missed it because a connecting rail service was delayed, then on authorisation from the EC staff, you would be accommodated on a following EC train. But if you missed it because you overslept, you'd have to buy another ticket.

You would only be accommodated on another TOC's trains with your "Advance" ticket in exceptional circumstances - if, for example, it was not your fault you missed your original train and there was no other service that day provided by that particular TOC, or a very long wait for the next one. Then you would need to be authorised by the original TOC for travel on another TOC's service. You couldn't just do it on your own initiative.

[But, of course, if you had not bought an "Advance" ticket, as it would appear you had not when making your original journey from Sheffield to Bury, you could change your times and TOCs at will, and without question from the ticket inspectors.]
 
Last edited:

RogerB

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2013
Messages
109
Location
Sheffield
That's fair enough - would I need to prove that a connecting service was delayed, and if so how? The reason I missed my connection in Manchester was because the tram from Bury was held up.

I suspect it would be an insurance not to go for discounts but to go for an "any train" ticket instead.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
I'm not sure about the situation regarding the tram/train interchange at Manchester Piccadilly, but usually station staff can check if a connecting rail service has been delayed, and if so, endorse an "Advance" ticket to allow travel on a later service.

But, as you say, unless you are absolutely certain of your travel plans, and that they will not change on the day, you are wiser to buy those tickets offering more flexibility.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top