• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Lancs Nightrider in March

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshW1992

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2006
Messages
1,202
Location
Warwickshire
Middle of the night in March, sounds a bit cold to me! Anyway will be there depending upon what traction they use.

LOL.... I'll be there no matter what.. I hope anyway! Traction doesnt bother me. Although, if the whole event was run with 66's, then I will politely decline :lol:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ilove165's

Member
Joined
23 May 2007
Messages
568
Location
Ruislip
I'll come along ('tis my birthday in march so will make a nice present bashing 'proper' traction)

Sam
 

EE Type 3

Established Member
Joined
23 Mar 2006
Messages
1,785
Location
Llangollen MPD
Do I? :lol:

Yes the the event runs all night, think the rake they used this year was all compo's but not 100% sure. Just depends whats available and with heat as too what they put out I think, don't know what they do about noise but the 50 worked most of the night this year and that thing ain't quiet at full power. The last event just gone a local cubs/scouts group turned up for the overnight part just as we were leaving!


They have tinkered with the injectors on the vac, it now thumps like a vac should <D;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well, from what I have gathered, I think they put the quieter locos on at night, such as the Deltic or a 50. I wouldnt know anything else, I'm afraid. Maybe '37412' can enlighten the subject. He has a good knowledge of the ELR.

Deltics and 50s quiet? Pull the other one Josh :lol:
 

Valiant

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2009
Messages
9
They have tinkered with the injectors on the vac, it now thumps like a vac should <D;)

We haven't done anything to the injectors. The change in noise is simply down to the loco being used. Remember it stood for five years without being run up and it has taken a while for everything to fully free up. The other thing helping it is having set up the load control electronics correctly.

Incidentally it was recently used in connection with the CFPS railtour from Rawtenstall to Edinburgh. 15 was used to bring the empty stock in from Heywood to Bury on the friday. On the Saturday it was again used on the early morning ecs to Rawtenstall, this train consisted of 12 coaches and 40 145 and D335 on the rear, which gives an equivalent trailing load of 20 coaches! Oh, and it was supplying eth as well. The noise was quite something!

Back on topic, the roster for the nightrider should be available shortly. The overnight stock will be mainly compartment stock.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Such a shame this has clashed with something very interesting (in my eyes at least) going on on the other side of the pennines. Oh well, next time perhaps...
 

34067James

Member
Joined
5 Aug 2008
Messages
486
Location
Sittingbourne, Kent
Such a shame this has clashed with something very interesting ...

Yeah your right there Standard class 7MT 70013 Oliver cromwell ( as No 70004 William Shakespeare )on the Golden Arrow going down Folkestone Harbour :p that will be packed it be fight for a spot to get a shot without getting Old skool and Stoats in your shots.

James
 

The_Rail_WAy

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2008
Messages
458
I must admit the East Lancs nightrider avent has always fascinated me. The timetable/line-up looks fantastic, especially the non-stop early morning Heywood_Rawtenstall runs. Can't do it this year but its certainly something I would consider doing in the future. Do any other lines do it?

My 200th post!!
:cake:
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Yeah your right there Standard class 7MT 70013 Oliver cromwell ( as No 70004 William Shakespeare )on the Golden Arrow going down Folkestone Harbour :p that will be packed it be fight for a spot to get a shot without getting Old skool and Stoats in your shots.

James

I was thinking of a certain black and gold liveried operator...;)
 

37412

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2007
Messages
1,253
No, but they've got a nicely interesting diversion on on the same day!

...And they operate through York, do the diversion move, bail at York, TPE to Manchester for the ELR nightrider and then the gala for any of the other locos you need on the Sunday, can still do it then and avoid your normal rancid overnight move in a station carpark of wherever it is.
 

The Snap

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
3,156
Would have done the Nightrider but the traction is shocking! :roll::p
 

BJMorley

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2007
Messages
1,175
Location
Derby
Hmm, I thought this was a type of Bus then, but typical of East Lancs Coachbuilders, It should be spelt NightRyder :P :P :P :P

Interesting, I might do it too.
 

37412

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2007
Messages
1,253
37418 has moved to the lancs today.

(May want to shift this over to the new sub-section as well)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top