• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Croydon to Fareham / Cosham

Status
Not open for further replies.

themeone

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
289
I often travel between East Croydon and Fareham, but recently had to make a journey from East Croydon to Cosham, two stops less via Barnham.

To my surprise the fares to Cosham are higher than those to Fareham, and I wondered if anyone could explain why.

Looking on brfares it seems two sets of fares are defined for Fareham: "Via Barnham", set by Southern (the cheaper fares), and "Not via London", set by South West Trains, which I assume means via Clapham Junction.

Looking at Cosham, the only fares shown are "Not via London", yet set by Southern, and itineraries for ECR-CSA only seem to bring up the Via Barnham route.

For my recent trip to Cosham I simply bought a ticket to Fareham and finished short.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,286
Location
Connah's Quay
Looking on brfares it seems two sets of fares are defined for Fareham: "Via Barnham", set by Southern (the cheaper fares), and "Not via London", set by South West Trains, which I assume means via Clapham Junction.
I can't explain why the fares are the way they are, but I do know that there are no mapped routes between Croydon and Fareham or Cosham (which both happen to be part of Portsmouth Group). What a "not via London" fare would allow would be travel on the shortest route from Croydon to each station, which goes via Epsom and Haslemere.

Ending your journey at Cosham would be perfectly fine on a Fareham ticket. It would also be possible on a Croydon-Bitterne ticket, which may be bit cheaper again, depending on the ticket you use.
 
Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
there are no mapped routes between Croydon and Fareham or Cosham (which both happen to be part of Portsmouth Group).
I don't agree that there are no mapped routes between, say, East Croydon and Fareham or Cosham.

East Croydon is a member of Croydon Group.
As stated above, Fareham and Cosham are members of Portsmouth Group.

Page 415 (of 2269) of the 9 December 2015 edition of the Routeing Guide's yellow pages shows that mapped permitted routes between Croydon Group and Portsmouth Group are shown on map LP, and also on map combination LB+CW.
 

themeone

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
289
Ending your journey at Cosham would be perfectly fine on a Fareham ticket. It would also be possible on a Croydon-Bitterne ticket, which may be bit cheaper again, depending on the ticket you use.

Good tip - thank you!
 

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,286
Location
Connah's Quay
I don't agree that there are no mapped routes between, say, East Croydon and Fareham or Cosham.
Sorry, I missed a few words out there. There are no mapped routes which are valid on a "not via London" ticket but not on a "via Barnham" one (LB allows journeys via Horsham and Barnham, LP+CW via Brighton and Barnham). The shortest routes (at least, the shortest routes http://www.bukitlawang.com/routes/routes.aspx can find) don't go through Barnham, though, as I wrote.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Which tickets are you looking at that are more expensive to Fareham than Cosham?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top