pat okeeffe
Member
- Joined
- 24 Jun 2011
- Messages
- 57
Just for fun today I embarked on a round trip today with my bike from Brighton to the Isle of wight and back via Havant, Portsmouth, Ryde, East Cowes and Southampton.
With the help of the National Rail website I worked out that the cheapest way with my 16-25 railcard and starting between 9:00 and 10:00 AM was to get an off peak return from Brighton to Southampton, (£12) a single from Havant to Ryde (£9.70) and then a single from East Cowes to Southampton(£5.00).
When I got to the ticket office at east cowes ferry terminal they said there was no £5.00 fare and charged me the full £7.60. becauase there was no rail link between these two points. When I got to Southampton Central the ticket office staff there said they were also instructed not to issue any tickets from Southampton Central to East Cowes even though I could purchase one from the ticket machine sitting opposite them - crazy! Unfortunately there was no such machine at East Cowes. Had I known this was the case I could quite easily have purchased this ticket at Brighton Travel Centre before I set out.
So - why cant anybody buy a ticket between East Cowes and Southampton Central from a human being at these stations/Ferry Terminals even though it appears on ticket machines and the national web site, and is avaiable from any other rail ticket office? Is this legal?
Can I get a refund?
With the help of the National Rail website I worked out that the cheapest way with my 16-25 railcard and starting between 9:00 and 10:00 AM was to get an off peak return from Brighton to Southampton, (£12) a single from Havant to Ryde (£9.70) and then a single from East Cowes to Southampton(£5.00).
When I got to the ticket office at east cowes ferry terminal they said there was no £5.00 fare and charged me the full £7.60. becauase there was no rail link between these two points. When I got to Southampton Central the ticket office staff there said they were also instructed not to issue any tickets from Southampton Central to East Cowes even though I could purchase one from the ticket machine sitting opposite them - crazy! Unfortunately there was no such machine at East Cowes. Had I known this was the case I could quite easily have purchased this ticket at Brighton Travel Centre before I set out.
So - why cant anybody buy a ticket between East Cowes and Southampton Central from a human being at these stations/Ferry Terminals even though it appears on ticket machines and the national web site, and is avaiable from any other rail ticket office? Is this legal?
Can I get a refund?