• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Trains Reward points vanished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
I made my first booking through the East Coast Trains website on July 31st 2011, so bearing in mind the 2-year limit I went on my account today and found that some of my points has vanished.

It says that I have 226 "Current Points Available" but when I select "Recent Activity" and then "All," the points awarded column says 100, 28, 17, 14, 23, 28, 17, 19, 8, 23 and 49; which by my calculations equals 326. An Email I got from East Coast Trains on June 28th had this amount shown.

In the "Points that expire in 30 days or less" it says 0 which is clearly incorrect as my first 100 points were awarded in July 2011 so will expire in less than 30 days.

Has this happened to anyone else?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

googolplex

Member
Joined
28 Mar 2009
Messages
220
I've just checked and it looks like my first 100 points (from 27/7/2011) aren't showing in the total either, and I have 0 points in the "expiring soon" section.
 

scottishchris

Member
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
65
Same happened to me, so I emailed East Coast.
The reply I got was along the lines of "what are talking about, they're still there!"
Checked back on the site and they'd still disappeared.
I didn't take it any further, I'll just see what happens when I try to use them.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
I've got the same problem. Gave East Coast web team a ring and they told me that it was showing on my account as me still having them, I asked if they could test from a customer perspective and low and behold my points weren't showing. I was then told 'They will look into it.'
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,391
Location
Messroom
Mine seem to be showing correctly, though some of my earlier points were due to expire and not shown in the 'Points due to expire' section. To be on the safe side, I've now spent my earliest points - as I don't fancy losing them.

Hope people are able to get this resolved!
 

pjnathanail

Member
Joined
1 Sep 2012
Messages
391
Location
Loughborough
Stupid question, but when you spend points does it automatically take the earliest ones or do you have to choose it somewhere?
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Stupid question, but when you spend points does it automatically take the earliest ones or do you have to choose it somewhere?
"It" (the EC software) appears to use the oldest 'points' in accounts when transferring their value into payment for free tickets. I will guess that the same process is used when transferring their value into any other redemption (and would be very surprised if this wasn't how the system operated for all types of points transfer).
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Yes mine are all showing correctly now; I'm shown as having 360 current points (I spent £34 since I made the original post) with 100 expiring soon!
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Quite unexpectedly, all my points have dissapeared between Thursday evening (25/7/13) and today.

Also, when attempting to access the Rewards section of my account, I am being asked to confirm a personal details form as a new 'member' : "Register to join East Coast Rewards".

(This situation is independent of my choice of client, platform or location).
 

Grizzly

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2012
Messages
51
Quite unexpectedly, all my points have dissapeared between Thursday evening (25/7/13) and today.

Also, when attempting to access the Rewards section of my account, I am being asked to confirm a personal details form as a new 'member' : "Register to join East Coast Rewards".

(This situation is independent of my choice of client, platform or location).

Something similar happened to me a few months ago - I contacted their web support team and was told that my account was inactive and that I should go to account settings and tick the box to agree to receive marketing emails. This worked - my points were restored.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
Each time you book, there is a tickbox to receive marketing emails. Is it possible that box has been unticked?
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Quite unexpectedly, all my points have dissapeared between Thursday evening (25/7/13) and today.
And today (Monday), they have reappeared (plus another hundred or so I earned over the weekend).

Its an unexplained mystery - the marketing tick box didn't need to be ticked - they just appeared as soon as I logged in.
 
Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
I have the same, sometimes logging out and logging back in fixes it. Other occasions it's just a case of waiting.

Good to see there back though!
 
Joined
2 Jun 2009
Messages
1,135
Location
North London
I've been having issues with collecting and viewing East Coast rewards.

Sometimes, it says '0' East Coast Rewards points. To correct this, you have to make sure you select "Please untick if you do not wish to receive these communications. You will always have the opportunity to unsubscribe." During this time, I didn't collect any EC rewards points for my qualifying purchases.

I've emailed EC requesting that the missing points be added to my account.
 

BillyBoy

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2012
Messages
67
Location
Gateway to the Dales
I've been having issues with collecting and viewing East Coast rewards.

Sometimes, it says '0' East Coast Rewards points. To correct this, you have to make sure you select "Please untick if you do not wish to receive these communications. You will always have the opportunity to unsubscribe." During this time, I didn't collect any EC rewards points for my qualifying purchases.

I've emailed EC requesting that the missing points be added to my account.

Exactly the same here. When I phoned EC they said I must have unknowingly opted out of receiving marketing communications at some point. I know that I didn't. Seems to me they've made a change to their systems which has unticked the communications option for some people. And, as we're finding, while it's unknowingly unticked, we don't get credited with any points collected. Very poor show.
 

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
I got that as well, and sorted it after phoning them. I'm glad I decided not to buy any tickets while it was happening though! :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top