• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Restaurant carriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
I'm in London on Thursday and will be returning to York on the 19.00 departure. I may not have much time between my connections to get something at Kings Cross, and have noticed that there will be a restaurant service on the train. I've never used it before, but have read about it being open to standard class ticket holders if there is enough room.

Couple of questions:

1) So I go and sit down straight away in the restaurant carriage as soon as I know what train it is, or do I have to ask the guard first?

2) If I do sit down straight away and it gets busy, could they ask me to leave if a 1st class passenger wants to sit instead, or is it first come first served?

3) Anyone had any recent experience on the food on East Coast? I know they were planning to make it a bit better than NXEC but the menus don't seem to have changed very much since last year.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
I'm in London on Thursday and will be returning to York on the 19.00 departure. I may not have much time between my connections to get something at Kings Cross, and have noticed that there will be a restaurant service on the train. I've never used it before, but have read about it being open to standard class ticket holders if there is enough room.

Couple of questions:

1) So I go and sit down straight away in the restaurant carriage as soon as I know what train it is, or do I have to ask the guard first?

2) If I do sit down straight away and it gets busy, could they ask me to leave if a 1st class passenger wants to sit instead, or is it first come first served?

3) Anyone had any recent experience on the food on East Coast? I know they were planning to make it a bit better than NXEC but the menus don't seem to have changed very much since last year.

I'm a regular on the 19:00 restauarant car off Kings Cross and always travel with a Std Class ticket (will be doing it this Tues).
One of the crew will be standing on the platform at the last door of the restaurant car (the country end / the kitchen end / the std class end) holding a few menus to entice you! Just ask them if they'd accomodate you as a std class passenger. 3 of the restaurant staff on the 19:00 (J, A or I) will say "yes, of course", and will seat you at the std class end of the car. But if its the other one, she will say "wait for my announcement over the PA" which will announce any restaurant spaces left. To make sure you get a seat from one of the 3 who always say "yes", you need to be quick! So be very ready for the platform announcements - it helps if you recognise the EC reatuarant staff arriving at the platform gate 30mins b4 departure, but I've never been dissapointed, tho I have sometimes been seated with a table of silent grumps!

The guard/RPI has no jurisdiction to move you from the Restaurant car if you've been seated by the restaurant staff.

The menu has changed twice since the takeover - its all good! Speak with chef if you're particularly concerned about anything. The wine list changed in November. My only neg comment is that the service of vegetable accompaniment used to be 3 veg (eg. pots, carrots, brocolli) and its recently been just 2. But it is all freshly prepped.

The whole team on the 19:00 are the best! (The 19:00 crew - restaurant team and RPI. I wait for the 19:00 even if my work finishes at 2pm! ! ! ) They're all Newcastle crew. Hope you enjoy and give them a nice cash tip! (Tips on the card machine go the the company). But beware, that set is sometimes the temp. hired-in XC set, so although its got a proper EC kitchen, there's no wi-fi, cycle straps and other EC fittings. (and the lack of Wi-Fi means that if you pay for your meal by credit card, then they have to use a manually written voucher which will take weeks to be debited from your account!).

Let us know how it is for you on Thursday

BTW. While the 19:00 is my preferred train and crew - it can be pricey. However, splitting tix at Doncaster usually makes the price affordable - and RPI B. will always give you a knowing smile when he sees your two ticket portions!
 
Last edited:

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Thanks for that Dave, very comprehensive! All just depends on how long I have at Kings Cross, but usually get sick of sandwiches and Burger King. Thought I might as well get some proper grub for a change.

Booked the tickets earlier on in the year, £8 single with the YEP promotion. Not bad at all.
 

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
1,432
Location
South Liverpool
I got restaurant food and took it back to my seat on EC because the restaurant was full.

That was the...1200 to Aberdeen a few weeks ago on a Friday.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
In the end, I went for a pint before the train and when I got back it was full. So had to make do with a KFC at York instead. Still, some at seat dining coming my way next month.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Oh no. What a loss! I know they would have given you a seat if you'd been there quick enough! It has been busy this week, which is why I was straight there before the platform was announced on Tues. They even started laying out tables "next door" to accomodate some late comers - its not as if they don't want the business! And its been the ace team on the 19:00 restaurant this week too. Still, I bet your pint was good!
 

williamn

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2008
Messages
1,695
Good to see there is still demand for the restaurant. I hope that they can reintroduce some more on EC services. I have a trip to Leeds in July and was most upset to find you can't get breakfast on the train any more :(
 
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
143
Good to see there is still demand for the restaurant. I hope that they can reintroduce some more on EC services. I have a trip to Leeds in July and was most upset to find you can't get breakfast on the train any more :(



It depends on the time of day but when there is no restaurant there is still breakfast. It is either smaller or snacklike depending on the time.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
There are still some morning trains off London which do breakfasts, but of course you have to pick the right time. Breakfast is available until 11 I think in 1st class.

Still, I bet your pint was good!

After travelling from Brockenhurst it sure was! Even better it was free, met a friend on the way back. And quite suprised at the price he paid - £2.80 seems very good value for London.
 

williamn

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2008
Messages
1,695
I checked - don't think there is any breakfast service on the Leeds services.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
I checked - don't think there is any breakfast service on the Leeds services.
There's a full restaurant service with this breakfast menu on M-F 0700 from Leeds.

There's at seat dining with this breakfast menu served to First Class ticket holders on M-F 0640, 0720, 0740 from Leeds.

But not from Kings Cross to Leeds.
 

williamn

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2008
Messages
1,695
Yep, I am traveling TO Leeds so no breakfast for me. What happens to the chefs, do they only travel one way? Bit poor when Virgin serves breakfast to every first class passenger on every train before 10am.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
Yep, I am traveling TO Leeds so no breakfast for me. What happens to the chefs, do they only travel one way? Bit poor when Virgin serves breakfast to every first class passenger on every train before 10am.

And virgins are free, but hwat you see their FC prices???
 

williamn

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2008
Messages
1,695
Yes Virgin's FC can be very reasonable, got FC return London to Glasgow for about £100 recently.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top