• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast nightmare diversions on 5th November!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malton Seadog

Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
74
Further to my last post regarding arriving back in the UK at Stansted and booking advanced tickets - I decided to play it safe and booked the first part of my return journey home to Doncaster.

I leave Stansted at 18:25 and arrive at Peterborough at 19:10. Great - thinks I. Now all I need to do is book the short hour-long leg back up to Doncaster.

Sadly - I overlooked quite severe engineering works on the ECML. The Peterborough to Doncaster stretch is scheduled to take over 2 and a half hours, and will be diverted via Lincoln and I believe Newark (before reversing back out towards Lincoln again...).

So - my question is - Peterborough to Doncaster by any other route? Possible or not worth the hassle? I'd rather not get home at 11pm when I'm at work the next morning...:(
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,049
Location
Crewe
You could go Peterborough - Leicester - Sheffield - Doncaster but that would take longer!
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
Assuming that you have a Peterborough to Doncaster ticket then the valid routes are:

  1. Direct trains from Peterborough to Doncaster
  2. Mapped Routes
    Peterborough - Doncaster:

The maps show that basically only permitted routes are via the ECML or those that travel via Lincoln. So on a [stn]PBO[/stn] to [stn]DON[/stn] ticket you don't really have any other options.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,049
Location
Crewe
Malton Seadog are you looking for Advance Fares or Walk Up Fares?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Further to my last post regarding arriving back in the UK at Stansted and booking advanced tickets - I decided to play it safe and booked the first part of my return journey home to Doncaster.

I leave Stansted at 18:25 and arrive at Peterborough at 19:10.

The 1825 arrives in Peterborough at 1950..

Giving you the 2037 arriving Doncaster 2312

If you did travel via Alternative Route going via Leicester you would get in at 2251 so really only 20mins saving!
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,515
Location
Yorkshire
A through fare of £18.45 is available from Stansted [SSD] to Doncaster [DON], depart 1825 arrive Doncaster 2312. Specifying "avoid Chesterfield". It's marginally cheaper splitting as the 1825 from SSD to Peterborough alone is £6 and from there, the 2037 to DON alone is £11.25. Prices shown are as on EC website, but with web discount. Earlier trains are about half the price of the 2037 for some reason.
 

Malton Seadog

Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
74
Thanks all.

Forgot to mention I have a 16-25 railcard, and I've only bought the Stansted-Peterborough so far at a whopping £3.25!

I'm considering staying over on the Saturday in Peterborough and going back Sunday...
 

amarkr

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2011
Messages
6
I share your pain as was intending to travel home on the last east coast train from London that night (and it is not even listed at the moment). To avoid uncertainty of how long it will take or whether it will even run, I am going to slouch up the MML (in first class as its only going to cost an extra £2!).
Had a quick look and the advance fares are not yet available for the sunday and I wonder if they are considering continuing the engineering work into the next day? If so, it might be just as well to get on home on saturday night!

It turns out the last trains from KingsX is 20.00 to Newcastle and 19.30 to Leeds, so very glad I booked the later train from St Pancras.
The Leeds train takes a stagering 4h 16 and is overtaken by the 19.55 MML departure and Doncaster can be got to quicker than the 20.00 with a change between Derby and Sheffield onto a following XC train.
 
Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,853
Location
Oakham
...and will be diverted via Lincoln and I believe Newark (before reversing back out towards Lincoln again...).

A thought here: Do these trains reverse and call at Lincoln twice en route from Peterborough to Doncaster or do they use the very rare curve from Boutham junction to Pyewipe Junction after the Newark call...??
 

mm333

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2008
Messages
776
Location
53.8331°N 1.7734°W
The blockade is between Newark and Grantham, so there'd be no need to do the Boultham-Pyewipe curve.

Newcastle-London trains will probably be going Doncaster-Gainsborough-Lincoln-Sleaford-Spalding-Peterborough.

Leeds-London trains will probably be going Leeds-Doncaster-Retford-Newark-(reverse)-Lincoln-Sleaford-Spalding-Peterborough.

Hull Trains are keeping their calls at Grantham, so look like they're going Doncaster-Retford-Newark-(reverse)-Lincoln-Sleaford-(reverse)-Grantham-Peterborough.

Not sure what GC will be doing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top