Failed Unit
Established Member
Few things that people may or may not know about the change in the catering come May. Some of which I may have pieced together incorrectly.
First class will have food included in the ticket price, fine, but if you are on a service between London and Edinburgh at says 1000 or 1500 will you be able to choose when you get served? Someone say on the 1500 may want to wait until they leave Newcastle for example. I know there must be a within reason for this so after station x is not that unreasonable as they will be serving people boarding then anyway rather than I want food at 0737!
I suspect that you will have the old GNER restaurant car risk that if you wait until Newcastle the food is all gone but that already exists now. I typically on the 1600 Edinburgh - London enter the restaurant just before Newcastle to place my order before the hoards arrive to get the best of both words. Works well and the staff always explain cooking won't start until after Newcastle.
Likewise will the London - Inverness passengers get more than one meal as they are on board for so long. I know again not many exist but you do get them.
Will all trains have catering, on the current timetable many London - Leeds services have no chef, along with the 1500 London - Glasgow, will we again need to look at what is on offer before we decide which train to use (again as now and as per Virgin) Hopefully there will be more chance to sample breakfast out of Edinburgh then we currently get
Finally standard class, this is where east coast currently excel. But will the changes to the first class offering also result in a downgrade to standard? Will the freshly cooked bacon sandwiches go? I expect it will be the end of the burger which was part of the at seat dinning menu anyway, but will the Sheppards pie etc remain? I hope so but most of the attention is directed towards first class. If standard class stays the same as what we currently have (with the removal of the "at seat menu options" I don't think too many will complain) yes they have lost the restaurant, but most of them have gone anyway.
That is the problem for east coast they have 2 very different requirements for catering the shorter Leeds route doesn't need the same level as Edinburgh.
First class will have food included in the ticket price, fine, but if you are on a service between London and Edinburgh at says 1000 or 1500 will you be able to choose when you get served? Someone say on the 1500 may want to wait until they leave Newcastle for example. I know there must be a within reason for this so after station x is not that unreasonable as they will be serving people boarding then anyway rather than I want food at 0737!
I suspect that you will have the old GNER restaurant car risk that if you wait until Newcastle the food is all gone but that already exists now. I typically on the 1600 Edinburgh - London enter the restaurant just before Newcastle to place my order before the hoards arrive to get the best of both words. Works well and the staff always explain cooking won't start until after Newcastle.
Likewise will the London - Inverness passengers get more than one meal as they are on board for so long. I know again not many exist but you do get them.
Will all trains have catering, on the current timetable many London - Leeds services have no chef, along with the 1500 London - Glasgow, will we again need to look at what is on offer before we decide which train to use (again as now and as per Virgin) Hopefully there will be more chance to sample breakfast out of Edinburgh then we currently get
Finally standard class, this is where east coast currently excel. But will the changes to the first class offering also result in a downgrade to standard? Will the freshly cooked bacon sandwiches go? I expect it will be the end of the burger which was part of the at seat dinning menu anyway, but will the Sheppards pie etc remain? I hope so but most of the attention is directed towards first class. If standard class stays the same as what we currently have (with the removal of the "at seat menu options" I don't think too many will complain) yes they have lost the restaurant, but most of them have gone anyway.
That is the problem for east coast they have 2 very different requirements for catering the shorter Leeds route doesn't need the same level as Edinburgh.