• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast lifting all restrictions tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tannedfrog

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
537
What does this mean?

East Coast website said:
We're lifting all ticket restrictions tonight and on all of our services on Tuesday 24 December, when we expect to run the full timetable. Customers can travel on any of our services tonight and tomorrow.

  • Booked train restrictions on advance tickets?
  • Peak restrictions on walk-up tickets?
  • Route restrictions?
  • Operator restrictions?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,144
Location
Redcar
Isn't it basically that if you have a valid ticket to travel, regardless of whether you would be tied to a specific service, peak or off-peak, just jump on any train and get where you need to go?
 

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
Booked train restrictions on advance tickets? Yes, you can take any train you want
Peak restrictions on walk-up tickets? Yep, any train you want, even if it's a super off peak
Route restrictions? I would imagine so
Operator restrictions? Not so sure about this one, but probably if you're going London to Grantham EC vs HT etc.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,144
Location
Redcar
And at this time of year, with people struggling to get where they are going today, it's PR that money cannot buy.
 

tannedfrog

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
537
Hmm from those links, they don't seem to have communicated to their guards that "all ticket restrictions" have been lifted.

You would think that they would know better than to make blanket statements like this if they actually only mean bullet points one and two.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,144
Location
Redcar
OK, but what does their Twitter feed say now?

Those replies were posted long before what it says now.

I'm guessing you are the one giving them hell on there? :D
 
Last edited:

djjawuk

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2010
Messages
30
No, but the passenger has an East Coast ticket and wants to travel on Hull Trains; East Coast have told her she can't travel on East Coast with a Hull Trains ticket. So they're answering a completely different question to the one she's asked.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,144
Location
Redcar
That link is to the pre-planned restriction changes.

If severe disruptions occur it can be a very different matter.

Of course, but as nothing has currently changed since that guidance, it must surely still stand?

But then 'djjawuk' was right, they were giving an answer to a different question entirely!
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Does this mean I can get an off-peak day return to Leeds on the 06:55 Skipton to Kings Cross I wonder?!

Do you mean the one that goes via Hambleton?

If so, then yes if the fare exists for your intended journey. This service only runs on a Saturday.
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
Do you mean the one that goes via Hambleton?

If so, then yes if the fare exists for your intended journey. This service only runs on a Saturday.

And presumably this morning on the service that goes via Wakefield W?
 

BillyBoy

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2012
Messages
67
Location
Gateway to the Dales
Do you mean the one that goes via Hambleton?

If so, then yes if the fare exists for your intended journey. This service only runs on a Saturday.

On a "normal" weekday you have to get an Anytime Day Return to Leeds for £10.50 if you travel before 09:30 and then it's £9 for an Off Peak Day Return.

The trains before 09:30 are all Northern except the 06:55 East Coast service to Kings Cross which stops at Leeds.

So I was wondering if I could have bought an Off Peak ticket and traveled to Leeds on the normally peak time 06:55?

PS I wasn't brave enough to try in the end!
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
The trains before 09:30 are all Northern except the 06:55 East Coast service to Kings Cross which stops at Leeds.

So I was wondering if I could have bought an Off Peak ticket and traveled to Leeds on the normally peak time 06:55?

I don't see why not. The EC message is clear that all restrictions are lifted on all their trains.
 

tannedfrog

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
537
The EC guard that I encountered told me that the lifting of restrictions only applies to "our customers", whatever that means. He didn't charge me extra though
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Surely if you travel on the 0655 from Skipton then you are an East Coast customer. I would be surprised if EC say otherwise.

On a "normal" weekday you have to get an Anytime Day Return to Leeds for £10.50 if you travel before 09:30 and then it's £9 for an Off Peak Day Return.

The trains before 09:30 are all Northern except the 06:55 East Coast service to Kings Cross which stops at Leeds.

So I was wondering if I could have bought an Off Peak ticket and traveled to Leeds on the normally peak time 06:55?

PS I wasn't brave enough to try in the end!

I have absolutely no idea why I mentioned Hambleton. I suspect that someone else mentioned Hambleton on another thread and I saw your mention of the 0655 and simply got confused.

Normally you have to obey the 0930 restriction regardless of which operator you used, however I think you could have got away with it today for the reason I gave above. That said, it's only £1.50 so not gonna break your bank.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top