I would be fussed if the choice was between a 500 seat Voyager or a 500 seat HST. I know which is more comfortable and a more enjoyable experience for the passenger. It isnt the Voyager
Fair enough. I think that if I had the same chance of a seat on either, I wouldn't be too bothered either way. But that's just my opinion.
The 180 is comfortable seat wise but some of them shake like crazy and can be very noisy. You will not convince me that under floor engines are suitable for long distance Intercity travel, unless some kind of anechoic mounting can be developed to damp down the vibration and better noise insulation be fitted to reduce the sound
Maybe I'm going deaf, but I've never found the noise of DMU engines to be *that* intrusive. You can hear them, sure, but they're not as noisy as some suggest.
Like I said Edinburgh - Exeter on a Voyager is torture and it is impossible to work because of the vibration, noise and the over crowding
The overcrowding is always blamed at the Voyagers (which are pretty good trains, physically, just too short). Put the right number of carriages/ seats on and you eliminate most of the problems.
And IEP won't be running on diesel on the ECML (only the bi-mode ones will, and only then away from the wires) - you won't be doing long journeys wholly on diesel IEP.
It shows just how far standards have fallen in the last 30 years or so, that tables, full sized seats, full length trains and on board catering are now being regarded as unaffordable luxuries, whereas years ago they were the norm on long distance services
Just that priorities have changed. People used to eat a good solid meal because there were few opportunities to snack. Now, a big station will have an M&S Simply Food/ Starbucks/ Burger King etc, people don't need a big meal at a dedicated restaurant coach.
Just a guess, but I'd say that people would be more bothered about plugs/ wi-fi nowadays than a three course meal on board most services.
Similarly people often travel alone and prefer "airline" seats (there's a lot of anti-social people in this country!).
Is that standards falling, or just trains reflecting modern life?
NOT if you have under floor engines. The whole thing shakes, rattles and vibrates like crazy
Are they really that bad? You make it sound like a ride at Alton Towers!
Anyone who thinks that modern seating is more comfortable than the older seats should be shot
Again, you're ranting about modern seating when we don't know the type of seats that IEP will have. And (whilst 180s etc have good seats) lets not pretend that all old trains were comfortable either.
The voyager/pendo seat is thin, narrow, uncomfortable, cramped, uncomfortable (did I say that?), padded with one copy of yesterdays metro and fashioned from cheap nasty horrible plastic. The table, if you get one, is tiny and can hold one lap top or folds up for some unknown reason.
The environment of a pendo is dark and dingy and no amount of better seats will change this. What might help is some better decorations and lighting but it is still a dark dingy smelly horrible place to be for any length of time.
That's the Voyager though - this is a thread about IEP - we don't know how "dark and dingy" these trains will be - they've not been built yet. You're very keen to criticise them in advance though.
Anyway, this thread started off about 91/Mk4 replacement on the ECML so there obviously won't be underfloor engines - it'll be an EMU
Agreed!