• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Disruption 21/10/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianhr

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2013
Messages
534
I was booked on the 19.03 KX-Leeds and was told that there would be a Leeds train at 20.35 but did not trust them and so I went to St.Pancras where the Radlett incident seemed to be having an erratic effect. The 19.30 Leeds left on time however and kept to it's published, admittedly rather slow, timings with an additional stop at Kettering. Eventual arrival at Leeds about 2 hours later than if I had been on the 19.03 EC and after most local trains and buses have stopped and so faced with expense of a taxi. I'm not sure if this qualifies for a refund?
The 19.55 St.Pancras-Leeds which should overtake the 19.30, as it does not have to reverse at Nottingham and makes fewer stops, seems to have been running at least an hour late.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,630
Location
Isle of Man
If my experiences with EC are anything to go by, there won't have been any free tea or coffee and there certainly won't be compensation in excess of Delay Repay. I'm still battling with them now after a OLE failure at, er, Tallington in May: they agreed to give extra compensation when I got Passenger Focus involved, but I've been waiting for that since August.

This disaster worked in my favour for once though: t'missus was booked on the 2100 back to Newcastle after we'd been in holiday in Cornwall, so we got to spend another night together. Aww.
 

alastair

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2010
Messages
484
Location
S Devon
I arrived Leeds last night 1655 to catch 1715 to Kings Cross. The London services had been removed from the departure boards but the TPE Manchester services had helpfully had "change at Manchester Picc for London Euston" added to their description. Caught 1708 arrived Manchester 1807 and (just) caught 1815 which arrived Euston 2033 (15 late due to the Stoke bridge strike) so I was still less than an hour late into London which I thought was quite good.

It was also good that there were large numbers of EC staff at Leeds providing assistance and help to people.
 

Mainliner

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2010
Messages
367
Location
Northumberland
If my experiences with EC are anything to go by, there won't have been any free tea or coffee

They started giving away tea, coffee, water and some confectionery on 1Y27 after it had been standing at Retford for over 90 minutes, with no prospect of anything happening any time soon after that.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
AgLoAyWCQAAzR49.jpg


9 December 2011 (I took the screenshot to share on Twitter). IIRC, there was horrendous snow on the HML. Not sure what the final delay was, or if it ever reached Edinburgh for that matter.

That sounds about right - I remember that one!
 

Furrball

Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
601
Just received an email from East Coast . .

write in regard to the serious disruption which occurred on your journey on the East Coast Main Line on Monday 21 October. It is my understanding that you were travelling with East Coast at the time of the disruption. I would of course firstly like to offer you my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced and the obvious inconvenience this caused to you.

On the day you travelled, the East Coast Main Line suffered significant delays as a result of overhead line damage in the Tallington area, just north of Peterborough. This resulted in all lines having to be stopped, with services due to pass through the affected area being significantly delayed while the problem was assessed. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the problem, specialist engineers had to be brought in to rectify the issue and it was quickly realised that the majority of the repair work could only be completed through the night. As you will appreciate, safety is always the number one priority at East Coast, particularly when working with such a high voltage power supply, and it is something that will never be compromised. Unfortunately therefore throughout the day a high number of services had to be cancelled or suffered extenuating delays while alternative routes could be implemented.

The teams at both East Coast and Network Rail worked extremely hard to rectify the problems as quickly as possible. However, as you will understand, in a situation such as this a large number of the issues are out of our control while a full assessment of the situation and repairs needed can be carried out.

A full review of the day will of course be carried out with Network Rail to understand what lessons can be learned and what can be done differently should a similar unpredicted situation occur in the future. Included in this review is the issue of communication, both to and from our frontline staff, and from our Customer Relations team.

Under the East Coast Passenger's Charter you are entitled to appropriate compensation for your delay. In order to make a claim, the relevant form can be completed or downloaded on our website at www.eastcoast.co.uk and forwarded to the address indicated. I also appreciate you may have had additional expenses as a result of your delayed journey and I am more than happy to reimburse you for these. Please forward the appropriate receipts to the address below, with details of the train on which you travelled, and I will ensure the appropriate refund is forwarded to you. East Coast refunds are now made by direct bank transfer so in order for me to process this quickly please can you forward your bank sort code and account number to me and I will arrange for a BACs transfer to be made. Alternatively the documents and bank details can be forwarded by email to <<removed>>

In addition, as a gesture of goodwill, I would like to offer you a complimentary return ticket in your equivalent class of travel, for use anywhere on the East Coast network. The ticket is valid for 12 months from the date of this email, and when you have decided on your journey details, please again forward your request to the address above and the necessary travel documents will be issued to you. Alternatively you may wish to email your request to the email address above.

Once again, thank you for your understanding of the unfortunate incidents which occurred on Monday, and I very much hope this goes some way to restoring your faith in East Coast.
 

Furrball

Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
601
Pretty impressed - also was not aware that refunds now being paid by BACS
 
Last edited:

Aldaniti

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2009
Messages
668
A good response from East Coast and all credit to them but I'm bound to say that the railway has been trying to learn the lessons of communication failures since the day I was born. I'm sure they'll still be trying to learn the lessons when I'm six foot under. :lol:
 

Darren R

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
1,252
Location
Lancashire
National Rail Enquiries are now saying:

A problem is also currently under investigation involving a freight train between these stations.

Is this related or a seperate issue? And when is it expected to get back to normal - NRE still quoting 20 minute delays "until further notice."
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Credit to Virgin for extending the 1757 from Lancaster to Edinburgh, appears the set that ran the service is running ECS back to Crewe tonight.

Newspapers wouldn't be interested in such a good news angle. I'm sure all they care about is the 8 hour 5 minute delay. I imagine the passengers on the delayed train only care about that too, to be fair.

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Tapatalk
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
Did people try and detrain and/or eat each other on that service?
 

stut

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
1,924
Look East was interviewing passengers at Peterborough about the disruption last night, including one who was caught on one of the silly delays. Actually, they were all quite wearily accepting of the whole thing.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
Perhaps they were all simply keeping to a story, so as not to let one that fourteen passengers seemingly disappeared...!
 

Mainliner

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2010
Messages
367
Location
Northumberland
Look East was interviewing passengers at Peterborough about the disruption last night, including one who was caught on one of the silly delays. Actually, they were all quite wearily accepting of the whole thing.

Yes, most of the people on the delayed train I was on were philosophical/stoical, but one person was understandably worried over a missed flight.

When the guard on the packed Pacer which we were advised to take from Retford to Lincoln said that we'd have to change again at Newark for Peterborough, someone exclaimed "Quality!" That was, of course, incorrect, as it wouldn't have avoided the cause of the problem at Tallington, and there was a direct 'train' (single coach) from Lincoln to Peterborough via Sleaford, which amazingly managed to accommodate most of the waiting crowd.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top