• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Disruption 21/10/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
I was due on the Grand Central 15.52 from York. I saw this whilst the at the National Rail Museum on the departure board near the viewing platform. That was close due to the rain. So I headed off to the station. I then saw the 15.52 was delayed so said to me friend, no hurry. Once I reached his house I saw it was on time with no chance of me catching it now because we had taken our time.

Once at the station the lady, Jenny, suggested Sheffield. We went off to find a pub with a departure screen. Soon the Jenny came running after us, slightly out of breath sounding, to inform us the person had been hit by a train. Really nice of her. Thanks. I hope the drive on the other train that hit the person is okay and things were not to bad for everyone concerned.

The pub didn't have any departure boards so no money from us went there. Instead it was to the waiting room and cafe which did at departure boards. I think the pub is missing a trick there.

Soon I noticed that the 15.52 was no where to be found on the national rail enquiries app. Not even on the timetable pages. Not even from Sutherland wasn't it shown. Or on the arrives at Kings Cross. Now with the app you can search into the past. I went onto real time times and that showed it as cancelled. How can a train that left 2 minutes late be cancelled? Any one know? I suspect something was wrong with NRE. After all I believe the back end system is fairly old.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y20176/2013/10/21/advanced

So hung around some more. Always the chance tomorrow morning but no certainty trains will be running tomorrow morning and I do need to get to work.

Eventually a Leeds train at 17.45 is suggested. Connecting train due to leave in about 3 minutes. Cue walking over to platform 11, hoping to catch it. I had a heavy bag so I am not rushing. That train eventually left 10 mins late, as it was waiting for it's joining portion.

As I left I then find the Leeds train cancelled according to NRE app and I then lose all mobile phone reception. Guard soon suggests going to Manchester and down.

Now I needed to get to Kings Cross to claim back a TFL refund and I'm not often passing through London using my Oyster Card. Shame refunds can't be claimed from ticket machines. I think buses wouldn't work. However once we arrive near Leeds, the guard is informed that a train is now running. Turns out the 17.45 was cancelled but the coaching stock was used to form another 17.45. This 17.45 is stopping at every station served by East Coast. Guard says we are due in by 20.00 but he doesn't know if that will actually happen. Depends on the line between Peterborough and Grantham.

I'm not sure how anyone staying at York fared. Probably worse.

I also get free wi-fi thanks to East Coast. I had to ring up because I was getting error code 102. When you get that, it means they have enabled free wi-fi and all one needs to do is enter anything in the passcode box and it works. Instead they just enabled it free for my ip address as I was then struggling to bring up the passcode box. Very good of them.

All in all I'm fairly happy with the service they have tried to provide and the information given.

As usual the screens have had problems. the 16.32 to Kings Cross changed platform 16.55 and was shown as leaving in 1 minute. 1 minute after it left it was still shown as leaving at 16.56! They were aware of the problem at least. It actually wasn't going anywhere.

Now at Grantham. Have to see what happens from here. I'm less concerned about things today because I'm in my own free leisure time and not trying to get to and from work.

Here's an example of how well the online live departure information is right now. We were due to leave Grantham at 18.49 but left at 19.05, 16 minutes late. However East Coast wifi page is still saying we are due into Peterborough on time at 19.07! So just the two minutes to travel along the affected section. I'm sure we can manage that in no time at all. It's only 19.33 now! Ha-ha. Still I'm on a warm train which isn't massively packed, considering. Still seats available and first class didn't even need declassifying. East Coast are doing the best they can I'm sure.

Any photos from the affected site. It's too dark to see anything from this train. I don't know if electric trains are running through the site. This is a diesel one.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2013
Messages
5,020
Location
Yellabelly Country
...Turns out the 17.45 was cancelled but the coaching stock was used to form another 17.45. This 17.45 is stopping at every station served by East Coast. Guard says we are due in by 20.00 but he doesn't know if that will actually happen. Depends on the line between Peterborough and Grantham.

Now at Grantham. Have to see what happens from here. I'm less concerned about things today because I'm in my own free leisure time and not trying to get to and from work.
17:45 Leeds - Kings Cross made it through the affected area. Onwards to the Cross... :)
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Only running 45 minutes late on this train! The sliver lining is that I get to avoid Clapham Junction during peak rush hour so trains from Clapham Junction will be running and be quieter.

I don't think I'll claim a refund as I've been happy with the service provided by people at the stations. Grand Central didn't say to much on their Web Site other than what NRE were saying.

Interestingly NRE said Grand Central customers could use Cross Country Trains and East Coast (where running). East Coast at that point were not running many services if any and Cross Country don't even go into London so not sure how one could reach London. I think what they meant was all restrictions were lifted and you could use any reasonable route, just that they didn't say that online.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
1S13 1100 King's Cross - Edinburgh (http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y50146/2013/10/21/advanced) appears to be involved.

What has happened to this one - it last reported 298 late in the middle of nowhere
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And that's the main problem with headspans anywhere other than on a depot or in a station (with no high speed through lines).

Yep! I did hear about this on the radio whilst driving home and did just think "here we go again!"
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
What has happened to this one - it last reported 298 late in the middle of nowhere

I wondered that. Perhaps it was detrained before Edinburgh and had its schedule/headcode changed at the last minute, but continued reporting under the old one for some reason? Or maybe there was a server/infrastructure fault of some sort affecting the reporting of the service.
 
Joined
2 Jan 2009
Messages
527
The perfect storm - ECML shut so divert via MML. Nope that's shut too now, go via Manchester. Which is having to divert all trains with the Stoke bridge strike.

What utter chaos for the planners to have to deal with - as they seem to have put a variety of contingency plans into place one after another it does restore your faith a little bit that this is still a national network. Well done to all the staff who must have had the day from hell.....

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk 2
 

MadCommuter

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2010
Messages
736
Scot-Rail.co.uk reporting that 1S13 was taken by a skip to Dunbar. 67 lost air and another skip, 67005, was sent from Craigentinny to assist.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Scot-Rail.co.uk reporting that 1S13 was taken by a skip to Dunbar. 67 lost air and another skip, 67005, was sent from Craigentinny to assist.

Oh f*** - I wouldn't want to be on that one...it had stopped in the middle of nowhere! Just now reported just south of Dunbar 473 late!
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
MadCommuter:1599826 said:
Scot-Rail.co.uk reporting that 1S13 was taken by a skip to Dunbar. 67 lost air and another skip, 67005, was sent from Craigentinny to assist.

Ouch......... 12hrs from London to Edinburgh
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
ainsworth74:1599861 said:
Ouch......... 12hrs from London to Edinburgh

It's like being back in the 1900s! Though seriously those people deserve delay repay and then some...

I also suspect EC will be making a lot of Edinburgh cab drivers & hotels happy. There must be people who have onward connections that they have now well and truly missed..... I suspect delay repay & goodwill gesture of at least £50pp
 

CallySleeper

Established Member
Joined
27 Jun 2006
Messages
1,662
Location
trentbartonland
8 hours late. Imagine the headlines.

Probably worth mentioning the reaction from Virgin who managed to extended at least one (the 17.57 departure) from Euston to Scotland this evening.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Who wants to place a bet on the Daily Mail making a story about this? ;)

But seriously something needs to be done about the ECML.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
CallySleeper:1599866 said:
Probably worth mentioning the reaction from Virgin who managed to extended at least one (the 17.57 departure) from Euston to Scotland this evening.

Credit to Virgin for extending the 1757 from Lancaster to Edinburgh, appears the set that ran the service is running ECS back to Crewe tonight.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
I'm confident there has been a longer delay somewhere ;)

If we are talking about the last couple of years or so, it was quite possibly on the ECML, during snow disruption in 3rd rail land or somewhere elsewhere and remote, or to Sleeper services.

(*Awaits proof to the contrary!* :p)
 
Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
*Newsflash*

The ECML has had a name change to the DML = Delay Main Line ;)
 

marks87

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,658
Location
Dundee
'8 hours and 5 mins late, got to be a new record!
AgLoAyWCQAAzR49.jpg


9 December 2011 (I took the screenshot to share on Twitter). IIRC, there was horrendous snow on the HML. Not sure what the final delay was, or if it ever reached Edinburgh for that matter.
 
Last edited:

Tom

Member
Joined
19 Jan 2008
Messages
872
Location
35,000ft
If we are talking about the last couple of years or so, it was quite possibly on the ECML, during snow disruption in 3rd rail land or somewhere elsewhere and remote, or to Sleeper services.

(*Awaits proof to the contrary!* :p)

There was a 15 hour delay to a freight train a couple of weeks ago around Stalybridge ;)
 

DaveHarries

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2011
Messages
2,576
Location
England
Some of you may have heard of the delays caused by damage to the overhead lines on the ECML earlier. Info from the National Rail website as couldn't find anything on BBC's website:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/59813.aspx

Well it was a long journey for anyone on 1S13 (1100 KGX - EDB) which passed Tallington Junction at 1151hrs, just 3 minutes late. It was supposed to pass Stoke Junction at 1156½ but, between Tallington Junction and Stoke Junction it lost rather a lot of time. And the delays got longer and longer.....

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y50146/2013/10/21/advanced :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

One word for that: ouch!

I guess that will cost a lot of money in refunds, compensation and other things!

Dave

||| EDIT: Have heard via. Facebook that 1S13's time loss at Dunbar happened because "the Thunderbird dragging it failed! (67021)" |||
 
Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
There was a 15 hour delay to a freight train a couple of weeks ago around Stalybridge ;)

Oh, for goodness' sake... just because we didn't actually specify that we were talking about public passenger services... pedant! ;) :p

I wonder how often trains become so late that they are coupled to the next day's service scheduled for the same time and path... shall we try to arrange it with the ECML? :lol:
 
Last edited:
Joined
2 Jan 2009
Messages
527
I hope that fresh supplies were added to that train at some point! A lot of very hungry and thirsty passengers otherwise and presumably no tiolets

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top