Could you flesh this out a bit?
From a distance the West Midlands seems to have four tram extensions currently in build, HS2, station upgrades of which Perry Barr and University are only examples, five new stations on the Camp Hill Loop and Wolverhampton-Walsall lines and recent things like the New Street makeover, Cannock line electrification, Bromsgrove; and major rolling stock orders about to enter service.
I can appreciate that some local politicians may have been disappointed at cost increases and engineering delays but who exactly has been "anti-public transport"?
(It's a long time since I lived in the area and saw the new PTA/E in 1969 replacing local rail services with buses.)
I think the issue is more due to the fact there's been a car industry culture (despite Metro-Cammel's presence) and alongside bus and local rail de-regulation, doesn't really shout - 'pt network'. The Original post is now vindicated as this leg of the metro which featured highly on Andy Street's election campaign(with a published local network map). These areas of East Brum/North Solihull are poorly served by buses.
I realise from the outside , it looks a bit different. However, as part of a low carbon tranpsort economy and wanting to get people out of cars, light rail/metro/tram networks must be the main solution. Especially, areas where rail is of little option (western Black Country/ East Brum/ Shirley etc. )
As for the trams, none are running now of course, which could be acontributory factor.