• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ease of Access between KX and Westminster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
My good lady is recovering from a hip operation, and has difficulty (as you might guess) with stairs and escalators. She soon might have to travel to her office in Westminster. Could anyone tell me what the best LU route from Kings Cross to Westminster is using lifts and not escalators (or even stairs if possible) at interchanges?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,436
There are lifts at Westminister and, according to Metro yesterday, the new lifts at Kings Cross are all now functional (though the Northern line ones are not shown as functional on the tube map yet). The Circle (I know, wash my mouth out!) may actually be her best bet.

Looking at tfl's map, the only alternative with lifts would appear to be Northern line to London Bridge from Kings Cross then the Jubilee to Westminister - having changed at London Bridge I believe she would have to go to ticket hall level and then back down again.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,449
For ease of accessibility (and full lift access at both ends), I'm sure that the best bet would be to take the Circle Line (via Liverpool Street) all the way from KX to Westminster. It's not the quickest route, nor the most frequent line, but it's certainly the easiest if one wishes to avoid stairs and minimise walking to and from platforms.

(Bear in mind that some of the deep-level lines at Kings Cross, even if lift-accessible, now have rather extended walking paths to get to the platforms now, too)
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Rather extended? Last time I got off a Victoria line train at Kings Cross it was about three weeks before I surfaced. There's whole civilisations treking from one end to the other!

I did wonder if the answer to the OP's question was "bus"- but there seems to be no direct route to Westminster Square.
 

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,436
Rather extended? Last time I got off a Victoria line train at Kings Cross it was about three weeks before I surfaced. There's whole civilisations treking from one end to the other!

I did wonder if the answer to the OP's question was "bus"- but there seems to be no direct route to Westminster Square.

Hadn't really thought about buses....

The 91 runs from Kings Cross to Trafalgar Square.
 

Daniel

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2005
Messages
2,568
Location
London
You could take the Westbound Piccadilly line to Green Park and change for the Jubilee Line to Westminster. This will probably be quicker than waiting for a Circle line.

Although green park is not a 'step free' station:

"At Green Park you can only change step-free between the Piccadilly and Jubilee lines. You cannot change step-free with the Victoria line, and you cannot exit or enter Green Park step-free either."

When alighting from a Westbound Piccadilly line train, there is a 151mm step, and a 0mm gap.
When boarding an Southbound Jubilee line train, there is a 180mm step, and a 0mm gap.

Please be aware that if travelling via Green Park, if you're at Green Park and it is evacuated, there is no step-free access to street level.


----
Kings Cross St Pancras
Lift to Piccadilly Line (Westbound)
Alight at Green Park
Step-Free interchange between Piccadilly & Jubilee lines at Green Park
Board the Jubilee Line (Southbound)
Alight at Westminster
Lift to Street Level
----
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Quite- at Green Park, changing to and from the Victoria takes you almost to surface level I'm pretty sure!

Bus as a suggestion as they're all "accessible" and street level is defacto step-free! I usually avoid buses, but if there's a route from Kings Cross that takes her close enough, I'd forget about the tube completely.
 

91101

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2007
Messages
439
For ease and convenience, I would definately recommend the circle line, somewhat of a longer ride around via Liverpool street, but easier in the long run.

I have to agree that busses are a great alternative, Im not the biggest fan of the tube to be honest so where its practical I will take the bus. From Kings Cross when I worked in central London, my office was a 13 minute bus journey or a 11 minute tube journey, packed Northern line in summer, or a bus with air flowing in? You do the math!
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
In central London, at least from my experience most of the time:

Tube: slightly faster, but very hot and usually busy, but you can spend ages walking from street to platform (Kings Cross comes to mind!)
Bus: you seem to barely ever move (I left 2 hours for a timed 50 minute bus journey in north east London the other Saturday and had about 2 minutes spare at the end!) but the air coming in is nice and you get a few seats free to sit in :)
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
I thought I'd try the 73 once from Victoria to KX for a change vice the Viccy Line, any quicker? ha! took well over an hour, going through the circus was a mission...stop for ages in a queue...move an inch...stop etc...never again!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top