• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Earphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2012
Messages
2,622
Location
Leicester/Sheffield
After yet another pair of my earphones broke last night, is it possible to get any cheaply that will last for more than a few months?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdq

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2010
Messages
901
I've just bought a pair of Soundmagic E10 earphones for £30. They are a What Hifi award winner and I'm very pleased with them. They have a non-tangle cable and a carry case which will hopefully keep them in good order.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
I bought a pair of "Sony Mdr-e818lp" (or something similar by Sony) about two years ago for about £10, not got any complaints yet.
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
I have a pair of Sennheisers which I bought from Maplin for £25, been using them for a good 6 months or so now and the sound quality is fantastic. (They also have flexible ear hooks, which certainly come in handy on windier days!)
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
I bought a pair of "Sony Mdr-e818lp" (or something similar by Sony) about two years ago for about £10, not got any complaints yet.

Seconded, I have the same model and they're still going strong despite years of abuse
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
I'd recommend headphones rather than earphones - fuller sound, better for your ears and you don't need to have them up as loud on a train so less risk of annoying pax!

I've got these which are excellent and have lasted more than 2 years.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stars-Stere...99377799&sr=8-6&keywords=mix-style+headphones

Whilst I agree that over the ear headphones are better all round for sound it is these style that I seem to find the most bleed from when other passengers are using them too loud. Also for commuting/travelling the fact that in ear ones can go right in the pocket makes them easy to convey too.

Also those in your link are bloody dreadfull :lol:
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,837
Location
Clydebank
I bought a pair of Sony MDR-XB400 Overheads out of HMV Argyle Street for £29.99 last December. They were down from £49.99. A bargain, if you ask me. If you see them & are willing to spend a bit more on headphones, they're definitely worth it.
 
Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,623
Location
Isle of Man
All this talk of headphones versus earphones made me think of this:

walkman.jpg


I have a pair of cheap Panasonics which do a great job despite the fact I treat them terribly badly.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,244
Location
UK
I have a set od Sennheisser HD-215's Although a bit more expensive than other suggestions, they have been going strong for 4 years... Although I'm feeling its time for a new pair soon
 

cambsy

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
1,113
I bought a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 15 which cost about £250-270 about a year ago, they are the best travel headphones as they cut out rumble of traffic etc brilliantly, let you get immersed in the music despite noise all around, are very comfortable, are going strong and well worth the cost.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Bill EWS

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2006
Messages
673
Location
Didcot
Can't imagine how much I have spent on earphones, only for one of the cables to break at one joint or other. It seems from this thread it is happening regularly and to everyone using them, so it looks like a nice little earner for the makers to produce earphones with very limited use before they become unuseable and replacing! The cost of the earphnes doesn't appear to avoid this dreaded problem!

However, my recent earphones have flat cable and so far this set appears to be lasting well, so maybe flat cable is the answer. However, it may still be too early to praise them, yet! But I am forever hopeful.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
I have some Sennheiser CX300iis which I've now had for 4 years, and they're still going strong.

I think they were £40 when I got them, but you can get them for around £20 now.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
I use a pair of Sennheiser CX 300-II, purchased in august 09 for £14 from Amazon.

They do their job with my (slowly dying) iPod and it's wonderful headphone socket.
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
I bought a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 15 which cost about £250-270 about a year ago, they are the best travel headphones as they cut out rumble of traffic etc brilliantly, let you get immersed in the music despite noise all around, are very comfortable, are going strong and well worth the cost.

Mate if you can afford £250-£270 for a pair of headphones you can afford a form of transport where you don't need to spend that much on headphones to block the noise out. :D
 

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
If you're on a tight budget, the most comfortable and best sound for the money has been from the JVC HA-S160-B which are branded as JVC Flats. Depending on the store, they're around £10-15.
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,391
Location
Messroom
I've just bought a pair of Soundmagic E10 earphones for £30. They are a What Hifi award winner and I'm very pleased with them. They have a non-tangle cable and a carry case which will hopefully keep them in good order.

I've been using a pair of these for just over a year - and the non-tangle cable really does work. Haven't had any problems at all with them, and the sound quality is really good for a fairly budget model of earphones.
 

Tom B

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2005
Messages
4,681
Can't imagine how much I have spent on earphones, only for one of the cables to break at one joint or other. It seems from this thread it is happening regularly and to everyone using them, so it looks like a nice little earner for the makers to produce earphones with very limited use before they become unuseable and replacing! The cost of the earphnes doesn't appear to avoid this dreaded problem!

Yes, quite. It's usually a break by the 3.5mm jack for me. If you have a soldering iron, you can usually put a new one on (69p from maplins or RS or somewhere), although soldering "tinsel" (the wire used in headphones) is a bit of a dark art.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,937
Location
UK
Just recently got an Xperia Z2 smartphone with noise cancelling earphones and they're amazing (and bundled with the phone for free). Select bus/train mode and then notice the engine noise disappear.

Not sure they'd get rid of the noise from a Pacer, mind.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top