• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Earl's Court and Barons Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
My apologies if this has been raised before, but Danny Finkelstein in his 'Times' column yesterday was asking, why the apostrophe in the former and not the latter? He is inviting a response, so if anyone knows the answer.... No prizes!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Funnily enough I travelled through both stations on Saturday and noticed this.

Presumably this is because Barons is the plural of Baron and therefore doesn't require an apostrophe, whereasEarl's is the possessive of Earl, which therefore means that an apostrophe is required.

I don't know why this is the case, and I suppose the finer points of English grammar are lost on many people. (one of my pet peeves is the use of "should of" instead of "should have", or "their" instead of "there" or "they're)
 

MrB

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2016
Messages
389
Location
London
I believe something similar exists at St. James's Park where it has been spelt as St. James Park, St. James' Park & St. James's Park throughout its time as a station. There is in fact still a roundel at the station which reads St. James' Park.

Mod note - I'm not sure how to resize images so apologies for the large size.

ST-James-twin-pic-edit.jpg
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
You also have St James Street in Walthamstow.

No apostrophe there, so it is (strictly speaking) the street that is named after St James rather than the street which belongs to St James.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,963
How very odd, I pointed this out to a few people two weeks ago.

However, it wasn't original thought, and I hope Mr Finklestein isn't claiming it is either. Tony Hawks first wrote about it in one of his books (or possibly a stand up routine) at least 15 years ago.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
How very odd, I pointed this out to a few people two weeks ago.

However, it wasn't original thought, and I hope Mr Finklestein isn't claiming it is either. Tony Hawks first wrote about it in one of his books (or possibly a stand up routine) at least 15 years ago.

Well, if you have a regular column you have to fill it with something, however unoriginal.:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top