• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Earlier Start On Off Peak Return To Add BOJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

retsim

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2017
Messages
10
Location
London
Hi, next week I'm booked through work to travel from Birmingham to Leuchars on an Off Peak Return. The tickets are paid for through the work travel agency and in my possession.

I now need to be in Manchester that morning for a job interview. Although this isn't a secret from them, I can't rearrange the tickets through work and I still need to get to Leuchars by the evening as previously planned. The company I'm visiting doesn't pay interview expenses.

If I've checked the Routeing Guide correctly, I think the Manchester is a valid route with that ticket and I could take a BOJ there? Please correct me if this is wrong.

Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the problem, as the timing means that I need to be on peak time trains (to arrive in Manchester by 10:00, allowing for some time to prepare).

Is there any sensible and cost-effective way I can ask to excess this ticket, presumably at the station in advance?

Alternatively, I know I could buy a separate ticket from Birmingham to Manchester, but would I run into any problems then joining my original route in Manchester (bearing in mind, I had made the first leg as planned, just not with the original ticket)?

(I know there's an option to buy a Birmingham to Manchester return and then just use the original ticket, but it seems a bit pointless and would be tight on time for me to make it to Leuchars that day).

Thanks for all the help.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Joined
16 Apr 2010
Messages
4,234
Location
Reading
Yes, Manchester is certainly on a valid route to Leuchars. You might be able to get an over-distance excess to a Ruby to Leuchars Off-Peak Return and start short in Birmingham with that. This is £9.80 cheaper (although you won't get a refund) and is only available with a VIA CARLISLE option, but that shouldn't be a problem if you're going via Manchester anyway. The only time restriction is that it is not valid before 04:15, so would be fine on a morning peak train to Manchester.

On the other hand if it's possible to get a refund on your original ticket and buy that one instead, with the £10 fee you'd only be 20p out of pocket and it might be a bit simpler.
 

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
Many people travelling to Leuchars are, unless headed for the army base, travelling on to St Andrews. There is a good bus service from Leuchars station to St Andrews, with the last bus departing after the arrival of the last train from Edinburgh. Use travelinescotland to check bus times. The single bus fare is around £3 with a journey time of around 11 minutes. There are usually taxis waiting at Leuchars station. The taxi fare to St Andrews is around £13 (but more like £17 after 10pm).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top