• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ealing Broadway Duty Station Manager contact details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,646
Location
Isle of Man
At least I am going to confess that I got a Fixed Penalty Notice for putting a butt on the deck outside Newcastle Central Station yesterday morning.

Newcastle City Council have been actively targeting students in the last couple of weeks, I have seen several people caught in exactly the same way by Central Station. I have also seen people who have been caught "littering" which was nothing more than something falling out of their pocket.

I can see both sides of the argument. Littering isn't nice, but it is also entrapment. And the private hire goons have all the ethics and morals you'd expect from someone who gets a big fat bonus for every person they "catch".

AlterEgo said:
Eight grand. What a waste

Indeed, and it should come out of the wages of the council officer who decided to prosecute.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt_world2004

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2014
Messages
4,581
I see them standing outside Uxbridge station . However they are Hillingdon council employees . They are however on London transport property (according to the plaque ) and I wonder if they know that operating a commercial service on railway property without permission of the station manager is also a bylaw offence
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
Newcastle City Council have been actively targeting students in the last couple of weeks, I have seen several people caught in exactly the same way by Central Station. I have also seen people who have been caught "littering" which was nothing more than something falling out of their pocket.

I can see both sides of the argument. Littering isn't nice, but it is also entrapment. And the private hire goons have all the ethics and morals you'd expect from someone who gets a big fat bonus for every person they "catch".



Indeed, and it should come out of the wages of the council officer who decided to prosecute.

No - it isn't entrapment! If people let things fall out of their pockets, then they deserve what they get for being so incredibly careless - how many wallets, phones etc., do these people lose in this way?

No-one is inciting/inviting/tempting the offenders (which may be entrapment) to drop litter, they are merely catching them in the act. There is a vast legal and moral difference, in the same way that catching speeding drivers is not entrapment - no-one has prompted them to break the law; they have simply done it and have been caught (despite the ludicrous measures adopted to make speed cameras so blindingly obvious!).

How have we come to this depressing position in society where offences are always excusable in the offenders' eyes and no-one takes responsibility for their own actions/carelessness?!
 
Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
Who has been fined for feeding ducks where it has not been specifically prohibited? Whether we like it or not, private contractors are paid by local authorities (and railway companies) all over the country to enforce all sorts of things as the police are not everywhere at once - it doesn't make littering any less vile. Obviously, private contractors simply need to be trained and be aware of their limitations. They either have been granted the authority to enforce the law or they have not - if not, then they simply shouldn't be there. Assuming they haven't just turned up out of the blue to collect random fines with no authority, then they are doing nothing wrong if they follow the requirements set out for them by their employers.

Dropping cigarette ends (the subject of the thread) doesn't fall into any 'grey areas' as far as I am concerned.

I mentioned it in a previous post about a lady in Maidstone being issued a ticket for feeding the ducks, the council promptly cancelled the ticket and the subsequent publicity about the incident, on top of other complaints, lead to them suspending the contractors.

No doubt the lady was seen as a nice easy target, and this is what happens when laws are enforced by anybody other than the police and this includes ticketing issues on trains, they tend to be enforced inconsistently. A law abiding sort of person who will accept the fine and pay it without argument are a dream come true whilst a foul mouthed yob who will tell them in no uncertain terms where to stick there ticket, well they are just are just far too difficult to deal with.

As I said previously I don't condone deliberate littering, and I don't include somebody who clearly dropped something accidentally, but two wrongs don't make a right.
 
Last edited:
Joined
10 Mar 2013
Messages
1,010
I see them standing outside Uxbridge station . However they are Hillingdon council employees . They are however on London transport property (according to the plaque ) and I wonder if they know that operating a commercial service on railway property without permission of the station manager is also a bylaw offence

If they are employees or agents of the council they are not operating a commercial service ...

do you UnderStand ?

Man Overboard !
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
<snip>
.... but it is also entrapment...


I think you need to learn what entrapment actually is and stop taking your education in jursiprudence from the freewibblers and/or US cop shows
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top