• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dubious ‘embankment’

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
Not really a railway matter (though there is a connection because of the former station site and of course the current concern with stability of earth works) but I would be interested to hear opinions from any civil engineers on here:

A couple of years ago, on the site of a long closed station, construction was started on a new housing estate. To maximise the number of houses built, the site was levelled and a retaining ‘wall’ built which raised a number of eyebrows due to the nature of its construction and the angle of the slope.

The main issue is the use of gabion boxes filled with soil rather than the usual rock, with an apparent reliance on a light fabric mesh and the growth of grass and natural vegetation to retain the soil in the lightweight chickenwire boxes. Over the 2 years since its construction I have seen quite a number of people taking photos of this alarmingly steep earth embankment. I took some this morning and noticed quite a number of cavities where the soil had been washed out due to very heavy rainfall. I seriously wonder if this embankment design is safe.

45FAD7B3-EA1E-4655-B283-802DC569F38B.jpeg9D892CB8-95F3-4E34-9B75-1F03D70ACD24.jpeg26E1284E-465F-43D9-B5C7-27ABD0569FAA.jpeg3A5DE0EF-6D08-403C-86AA-7549FAD00AA1.jpegEAE69B71-A7FA-4533-86D6-F4F2DC4F951C.jpeg1EEEA45A-E26E-4E15-90E4-483E8EE54963.jpeg
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,297
Does look to be a severe slope on the banking from a certain angle, which must impact on stability, notwithstanding the metal mesh / netting.

Are the cavities due to water erosion or the activity of burrowing animals, do you reckon?
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
To be fair, I have no evidence as to what has actually caused the cavities. I’m sure those living above would greatly relieved if it was only rats making the holes ;)
 

thejuggler

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2016
Messages
1,652
By the time it becomes an issue the developer's responsibility is long gone.

A similar system are crib lock timber walls. Timber rots, in 20-40 years time some homeowners may be getting very big bills to ensure their homes remain supported.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
By the time it becomes an issue the developer's responsibility is long gone.

I wonder who's legally responsible for that embankment? The end houses, all of them or what I wonder?

Beyond a terraced house which don't have a record of falling over en masse, I would run a mile from any house with a feature that relied on anyone else's responsibility to keep it upright. Flats are bad enough.
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
In the original post I should also have added that a small number of fairly short piles were sunk a few metres back from the top edge of the slope after the embankment was constructed but before the houses above it were built
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
In the original post I should also have added that a small number of fairly short piles were sunk a few metres back from the edge after the embankment was constructed but before the houses above it were built.

So it's possible the piles, not the embankment, are holding the houses up? Would still run a mile though.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,730
Location
Scotland
It doesn't look good, but one presumes that the design would have been signed-off by an engineer at some point. Given that they can be held criminally responsible if their designs are show to be sub-standard I'm guessing that either: a) it was a very old engineer who expected to be dead before there was any signs of trouble; or b) the design is more stable than it appears to be.
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
When they were building it I wondered “What would Network Rail have to say about that?”

When the Borders Railway work was being carried out I was impressed by how thorough the approach was to reworking the original embankments, so this housing estate feature was quite a surprise. The roads next to it carry a lot of heavy traffic and there must be quite a lot of vibration so not to dissimilar a situation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top