As seen of the last few days it has been very foggy. How do Train drivers find these conditions with seeing the signals & other signs along the journey. Always looks very challenging in this sort of weather.
although I myself drive at line speed in this weather due to my route knowledge I think to make the above statement is wrong.If you can’t keep to time in the fog you shouldn’t be driving (signals and other variables permitting).
Fog marking points,generally about 200 yds from the box. It was either a signal,structure or marker that when it could not be seen during fog then it was officially foggy and Fogmen were called out to repeat the distant signals to the drivers. If the distant was “on” a detonator was placed on the rail and the driver shown a yellow handsignal. If “off” the the detonator was removed and the driver shown a green handsignal.Is there any difference in Absolute Block signalling areas with semaphores for drivers or do they proceed as with other areas? I am of the impression that signallers of such places are required to report if specific siting points are not visible due to fog? So does this have implications for drivers?
AWS, and more recently TPWS, give the driver an indication of the signal condition without being able to see it at all. Except in very extreme circumstances no signal should be more than one degree more restrictive then the previous one (so a green should only be followed by another green or a double yellow, for example). On the Underground there are tripcocks which should stop a train before reaching whatever obstruction a red signal is guarding.
Please defiime that term for those who are unfamiliar with it.“shooting the distants “
Is that your personal choice or your TOC's directive?100mph max for me
It’s a slang term referring to the bang from the exploding detonator placed on the rail when the distant signal is “on”.Please defiime that term for those who are unfamiliar with it.
To be fair, the word used was "condition" rather than "aspect" - there is a subtle but important difference (i.e. any 'proceed' aspect or red). It can be assumed that the signals' aspects will follow the normal pattern, unless an emergency occurs that suddenly puts the next signal to red from, say, green (i.e. out of sequence), when it will make little to no difference whether it is foggy or not.How does TPWS give a driver an indication of the aspect of the signal they are approaching, or indeed the aspect of the previous signal? (assuming of course they are not 'overspeeding' towards a red)
Shouldn't that be 'sighting points'?Is there any difference in Absolute Block signalling areas with semaphores for drivers or do they proceed as with other areas? I am of the impression that signallers of such places are required to report if specific siting points are not visible due to fog? So does this have implications for drivers?
You throw the brake in and get down to a speed where you know you can stop in the distance you can see ahead. You make sure you count your signals thoroughly so you know which is the section signal and the point you can return to line speed if green.Is there any difference in Absolute Block signalling areas with semaphores for drivers or do they proceed as with other areas? I am of the impression that signallers of such places are required to report if specific siting points are not visible due to fog? So does this have implications for drivers?
A small contribution from a heritage sector signalman. I was on duty last night and for the first time I was unable to see my fogging point (Up Main Starter). The box I was working has semaphores in the station area, but colour light Distants. Our Rule Book requires that I prevent the Distants from showing Green in this circumstance. Obviously with the speeds we operate at this is all a bit of overkill. The drivers' biggest problem with the conditions last night was maintaining adhesion on the damp rail. All rather good and atmospheric though, the more you exclude the modern intrusions from the scene, the more authentic it feels.Fog marking points,generally about 200 yds from the box. It was either a signal,structure or marker that when it could not be seen during fog then it was officially foggy and Fogmen were called out to repeat the distant signals to the drivers. If the distant was “on” a detonator was placed on the rail and the driver shown a yellow handsignal. If “off” the the detonator was removed and the driver shown a green handsignal.
I’m not aware of anywhere in this country where “shooting the distants “ is still carried out. It’s certainly not in the rule book anymore.
On the heritage line I signal on we extend our clearing points for acceptance when our fog markers are obscured.A small contribution from a heritage sector signalman. I was on duty last night and for the first time I was unable to see my fogging point (Up Main Starter). The box I was working has semaphores in the station area, but colour light Distants. Our Rule Book requires that I prevent the Distants from showing Green in this circumstance. Obviously with the speeds we operate at this is all a bit of overkill.
That wouldn't be the case in some area's, which can only show green, single yellow, red. But the point your making still stands. (Knowing your previous aspect determines what to expect next and you adjust your speed accordingly).AWS, and more recently TPWS, give the driver an indication of the signal condition without being able to see it at all. Except in very extreme circumstances no signal should be more than one degree more restrictive then the previous one (so a green should only be followed by another green or a double yellow, for example). On the Underground there are tripcocks which should stop a train before reaching whatever obstruction a red signal is guarding.
I was just about to ask him the same questions.How does TPWS give a driver an indication of the aspect of the signal they are approaching, or indeed the aspect of the previous signal? (assuming of course they are not 'overspeeding' towards a red)
I've never heard the term before, but it was explained in the post so I understood what it meantPlease defiime that term for those who are unfamiliar with it.