70014IronDuke
Established Member
- Joined
- 13 Jun 2015
- Messages
- 4,094
Old timers may well remember the times when a train would pull into a station which did not have long enough platforms to accommodate the train. The train would stop for the leading coaches, exchange passengers, and then be waved off by the guard to bring the remaining carriages into the platform for passengers in rear coaches to alight. A minute or two later, the guard would give the final 'right away' and off the train would go.
I'm sure I remember this happening at Bletchley in steam days with an up Holyhead express, usually hauled by a Brit or Scot in the very early 60s. I think I remember seeing it at either Settle, or Appleby, or both on Class 45-hauled Class 1 trains back in the v early 70s.
But that's by the by. Assuming it's not allowed on today's railway (I certainly get this impression from all the talk about restrictions on lengths of train without SDO) when was it written out of the rule book and what was the last train to ever 'draw up' on the system? Anyone know? And were there objections to the new order?
I'm sure I remember this happening at Bletchley in steam days with an up Holyhead express, usually hauled by a Brit or Scot in the very early 60s. I think I remember seeing it at either Settle, or Appleby, or both on Class 45-hauled Class 1 trains back in the v early 70s.
But that's by the by. Assuming it's not allowed on today's railway (I certainly get this impression from all the talk about restrictions on lengths of train without SDO) when was it written out of the rule book and what was the last train to ever 'draw up' on the system? Anyone know? And were there objections to the new order?