• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dover Priory-Manchester Piccadilly tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
Hello everybody (the time came to register!)
I am booked on the following trains Saturday 8th January:-

07.45 Dover Priory - Victoria, then 10.20 Euston to Manchester Piccadilly.

Returning 18.55 Manchester Piccadilly - Euston, then 22.12 St Pancras - Dover Priory.

So, my basic question is, would I be able to get on the 08.44 Dover Priory - St Pancras to save time without having to pay extra??
Is there any way ticket inspectors can tell from the information on the ticket?


My outward ticket states: Route - +VWC & connections. Validity - Booked train only.
My return ticket states: Route - +VWC & connections. Validity - as advertised
Neither ticket mentions whether on High Speed service or not.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Welcome. :)

Lets do that again now I have read your post correctly,

Yes you can ,but only if the HS1 train arrives in London after 09:58 Monday - Friday.

The relevent restriction is:

N.B. Restrictions apply on
connecting trains from Kent
into london St Pancras and
vice versa via line High Speed
1 (HS1) on Mondays to Fridays
as follows:
Not valid on HS1 trains
timed to arrive in London
St Pancras 09.58 or earlier:
and Not valid on HS1 trains
timed to depart London
St Pancras between 16.00 and
18.59 inclusive.
 
Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
Yes you can ,but only if the HS1 train arrives in London after 09:58 Monday - Friday.

The relevent restriction is:[/QUOTE]


Thanks for reply.
So… As I’m travelling on a Saturday, how does that affect things?

Would the ticket barrier reject the ticket? I just can't see how a ticket inspector would know unless the ticket says Route "plus high speed" as normal Dover-St Pancras tickets do.

My return ticket from Manchester doesn't mention "High Speed" even though it is via St Pancras, if you see what I mean!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,538
Location
Yorkshire
Can you scan in the tickets (blank out any personal info) & any applicable reservations please? or, if not, give us all the info on the ticket?

I wouldn't expect "High Speed" to be mentioned on any ticket or reservation. It doesn't have to be. I believe that ATOC/SET have caused confusion by putting "High Speed" on the routeing for tickets that are issued for journeys that don't go beyond London. This appears to be in line with ATOC policy of complicating the ticketing system as much as possible while claiming it is "simple".

From the routeing +VWC & connections and Validity Booked train only it would be reasonable to assume the ticket type is Advance.

However for the return journey, I am very surprised it says Route +VWC & connections and Validity as advertised, as if it was an Off Peak Single (SVH) I'd expect the routeing to be +Any Permitted and the validity to be As Advertised, while if it was Advance I would expect the routeing and validity to be identical to your outward journey.

I am also surprised that you are booked on trains between Dover & London; are you sure? I would expect you to have reservation coupons for the portions between Manchester & London only.

Without knowing the ticket type and further clarification, I am confused by this.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
1,
Being a weekend the restriction does not apply so you will fine.

2,
Partly because the “+VWC & connections” bit takes up the space and also for example Winchester to Dover Priory is valid via HS1 as its route is +any permitted allowing travel via London.

You can have both “HS1” allowing travel via HS1 and “Not HS1” prohibiting travel via HS1 as the route restriction depending on the route being taken.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Fom the routeing +VWC & connections and Validity Booked train only it would be reasonable to assume the ticket type is Advance.

I agree, I can see no other logical explanation

However for the return journey, I am very surprised it says Route +VWC & connections and Validity as advertised, as if it was an Off Peak Single (SVH) I'd expect the routeing to be +Any Permitted and the validity to be As Advertised, while if it was Advance I would expect the routeing and validity to be identical to your outward journey.

I did wonder, thinking it may be an anomaly.

I am also surprised that you are booked on trains between Dover & London; are you sure? I would expect you to have reservation coupons for the portions between Manchester & London only.

I suspect the OP may have been given an itinerary as well as the ticket and reservation, I know SWT always give these out often giving the impression that you are fixed to the trains on the itinerary not just the reservations.
 

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
Sorry, not in position to scan today.

The tickets are Advance, sorry didn’t mention that.

Outward ticket info is definitely Dover Priory to Manchester Stns. Advance. SGL. Route - +VWC & connections. Valid - booked train only.

Return ticket is Manchester Stns to Dover Priory. Advance. SGL. Route - +VWC & connections. Validity – as advertised.

I have mandatory seat reservations tickets for Euston to Manchester and vice versa with specific train times 10.20 and 18.55. Not to/from Dover/London.

Hope this info helps?
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
Don't quote me on this but the Dover-London is Southeastern and I believe they don't have reservations.
(Been with a friend who had advance tickets which included a Southeastern service - the other been a VT which did have reservations - with the Southeastern service, there was no way on the ticket to tell what train he was meant to be on so we could have (and did) catch whichever one best suited our travel plans)
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Sorry, not in position to scan today.

The tickets are Advance, sorry didn’t mention that.

Outward ticket info is definitely Dover Priory to Manchester Stns. Advance. SGL. Route - +VWC & connections. Valid - booked train only.

Return ticket is Manchester Stns to Dover Priory. Advance. SGL. Route - +VWC & connections. Validity – as advertised.

I have mandatory seat reservations tickets for Euston to Manchester and vice versa with specific train times 10.20 and 18.55. Not to/from Dover/London.

Hope this info helps?

Following many other debates on this forum, that means you can get any reasonable train to/from Dover.

I can't comment on the HS1 validity, but just remember you must travel on the trains you hold a seat reservation for.
 

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
Thanks everyone, also went and checked at local station - the man there said no problem to use St Pancras train.
 

Sapphire Blue

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
454
Thanks everyone, also went and checked at local station - the man there said no problem to use St Pancras train.

My guess is that there will be quite a few people from Dover on those trains on that day. Are you continuing to Hudds perchance?
 

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
My guess is that there will be quite a few people from Dover on those trains on that day. Are you continuing to Hudds perchance?


We are, good guess.

I was told Saturday we've sold 800 tickets so far. (planes, trains, coaches & automobiles).

I wouldn't be surprised if about 150-200 travel by train. (Many are out boozing around northern England that night!)
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
I'm confused here. The OP says his outward ticket is Advance and he is booked on the 0745 Dover - Victoria.

How can he use any other train than that with an Advance ticket? Its "booked train only"?
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
As it is a "& connections" ticket only the Virgin bit is reserved and you may use any reasonable train to get to the "booked" one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top