• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dore to Manchester Season Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2012
Messages
2,101
Location
Sheffield
I'm about to get annual season ticket for my work commuting to Manchester - I've been buying weekly, monthly and day tickets for the last half year, partly due to my unclear long term base, plus I work a nine day fortnight - 5+4 days - it's worked fine but over the year works out about £150 more a year.

So, put simply, is there a more economical way of season ticket buying that just a simple Meadowhall - Manchester Oxford Road ticket at £3492 - Meadowhall is the same cost as Dore - covers me for occasional travel to Sheffield / Meadowhall depending on travel times when there's no convenient service to Dore.

I've toyed with the idea of splits but that's getting complex if I travel home via TPE late at night - thoughts anyone ?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
Have you done the sums for"odd period" season tickets (i.e. for a month and a few days) that start on the first working day in one week and end on the last working day in another week. A combination of those, and the occasional 6-week or 7-week ticket (so that you aren't paying for tickets when you are on holiday), would (I used to find) bring the price down to, or just below, the cost of an annual season ticket without the need for the initial outlay. I'll think about whether there is any option for bringing the cost down to significantly below the cost of an annual.
 

Haydn1971

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2012
Messages
2,101
Location
Sheffield
Are TPE advances as cheap as they used to be?


TPE aren't great value at the moment, EMT advances are pretty solid at £20 which is more than a weekly when used for 5 days or a monthly when used more than 17 days (typically I'm using a monthly 19-20 days a month). I recall getting TPE return tickets last year for £11-15 ish.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Have you done the sums for"odd period" season tickets (i.e. for a month and a few days)


Interesting - I didn't realise this was possible
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A good reason to do this, which has come up a few times in the disputes forum recently, is that an annual season can be withdrawn by the railway without refund.


That's surprised me, when would this happen ?

Thanks for the advice so far all of you
 

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,288
Location
Connah's Quay
I'm about to get annual season ticket for my work commuting to Manchester - I've been buying weekly, monthly and day tickets for the last half year, partly due to my unclear long term base, plus I work a nine day fortnight - 5+4 days - it's worked fine but over the year works out about £150 more a year.
If you're on a rolling contract, remember that if you buy a season ticket valid for at least a month and cancel it later, you only end up paying at most £10 more than the the amount a season ticket for the period you actually used would have cost. You can also convert it to a cheaper season ticket, which may be better value in the same situation.
So, put simply, is there a more economical way of season ticket buying that just a simple Meadowhall - Manchester Oxford Road ticket at £3492 - Meadowhall is the same cost as Dore - covers me for occasional travel to Sheffield / Meadowhall depending on travel times when there's no convenient service to Dore.
You could try Meadowhall-Middlewood. WebTIS thinks it's fine via Manchester, Trainline, NRE and Assertis don't.

The routeing point calculator which ATOC put up recently says that every member of the Manchester group "cannot be reached without passing another member of the group" on a Meadowhall-Middlewood journey, so the NRE result at least may be a bit confused.
 

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
I have sent Haydn1971 a pm (copied to Strowger and Kieron).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top