Abellio Greater Anglia operate a lot of DOO services whilst C2C and Thameslink/Great Northern are wholly DOO as are big chunks of ScotRail and Gatwick Express with First Great Western Thames Valley services the same
Southern Metro and Southeastern metro are also probably DOO as is London Overground
Was there a big protest when these trains lost conductors? Some of them would have gone DOO many years ago.
What has happened to the employers? were they offered alternative employment?
I realize the pay was less then and perhaps the job was seen as less prestigious
I can only answer for happened to me. I was a Guard on the Chiltern line when that went DOO. As it was still British Rail I was fortunate to transfer to the North Division of NSE and became a Guard on the North London Line.
In July 2013 London Overground announced DOO operation on there existing services that had guards. In November 2013 and despite a 48 hour strike the trains went DOO and I was temporally unemployed.
I moved 250 miles west and applied for a job on either FGW or ATW, the FGW job did not come through as I failed the entrance exam! Just as well as the role I applied for is about to be withdrawn by FGW. I was successful in getting the role on ATW. However the role I applied for on ATW is in danger of being erased due to the IEP. The problem is as a dispatcher although I am employed by ATW my salary is paid for by FGW. When IEP comes to fruition my role will be withdrawn after that who knows what is going to happen.
The introduction of DOO may of been delayed coming in, in the first place if the then NUR didn't have such a weak leader in Sidney Weighell. He would prefer to drink tea with Peter Parker Chairman of BR rather than have a Shandy with Ray Bucktonleader of ASLE&F and whilst he was doing this he tucked his own members up by allowing the infant DOO scheme to be allowed to be introduced, after that it British Rail and its different business sectors most notably Network South East whose Director Chris Green oversaw the mass introduction of DOO.
Privatisation had in fact slowed DOO down with only routes like c2c being introduced, but now we will see vast swathes of DOO introduced across the whole of the country. It has already been announced on the TPE/Northern franchise, IEP will see the erosion of the Guard (in its current form) on both FGW and East Coast. I should count myself lucky that I am heading into the twilight of my railway career, as those that join now will have fewer and fewer opportunities in the future.