• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doncaster to Oxford - Wed 31 Aug - Cheapest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malton Seadog

Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
74
Hi all,

Could you let me know the cheapest way to get to Oxford on Wednesday 31st August from Doncaster please?

I need a day return - arriving at Oxford no later than 12, and leaving any time after 4:30.

I have a 16-25 railcard.

I've looked at Cross County and they're quoting around £50. I thought my best option might be to get an East Coast single to London, tube, and then a standard off-peak day return from Paddington to Oxford? Unfortunately, East Coast don't have anything cheap - even at 6 in the morning. £45+ outward leg, £28 coming back - and that's just to London!

Thanks!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just had a look on EastMidlands.

Can do Sheffield to London St Pancras for £32 return at the times I need. That could be a possibility...?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,400
Location
Bedford
Have you thought about going Doncaster to St Neots, changing at Peterborough, then taking the X5?

Advances are readily available in both directions for less than £14, and there are a couple of £9 advances still available for suitable trains on the return leg!

A day return on the coach is £11.40, or £8.90 with a valid NUS card :)
 

Malton Seadog

Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
74
Thanks for that suggestion - it does certainly seem to be the cheapest so far at around £35 return for the whole trip.
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
OK, I think this the cheapest way of taking a direct train. It involves a lot of tickets but, importantly, it doesn't involve changing trains at all. As long as you get the advances booked, then you're sorted. Total cost is £33.70

Outward Journey
Take the 08:50 from Doncaster (destination Southampton Central)

Use:
Doncaster - Sheffield Anytime Day Return £4.25
Sheffield-Derby Off-Peak Day Return £6.35
Advance single Derby-Oxford £11.55 (this train is the 09:53 from the Derby)

Arrive Oxford 11:40

This is the same train all the way through - and you do not need to change, get off, etc.

Return Journey

Take the 17:07 from Oxford (destination Newcastle)

Use:
Advance single Oxford-Derby £11.55
Use the return legs of your previous tickets

Arrive Doncaster 20:15

The advance tickets may not be available for much longer.
 
Last edited:

Malton Seadog

Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
74
Thank you very much indeed!

The meeting 'may be switched to Tuesday or Thursday' according to my contact.

Even with this method though, I would only stand to lose £22 wouldn't I? As I'd only book the £11.55 tickets in advance?

On another note, I'd have to buy both the Don-Shef and Shef-[stn]DBY[/stn] tickets at Doncaster wouldn't I, as the railcard wouldn't be valid to use on the train?
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
Thank you very much indeed!

The meeting 'may be switched to Tuesday or Thursday' according to my contact.

Even with this method though, I would only stand to lose £22 wouldn't I? As I'd only book the £11.55 tickets in advance?

On another note, I'd have to buy both the Don-Shef and Shef-DBY tickets at Doncaster wouldn't I, as the railcard wouldn't be valid to use on the train?

Yes you would have to buy them both. This could be done at the same time as buying the tickets online, or you could do it at the station. You couldn't buy the Sheffield-Derby ticket from an automatic machine, so you'd either have to go down the day before (or indeed any day in advance) or arrive with plenty of time to queue at a ticket office.

You may be able to change the date of the advance tickets at a cost of £10 each if same price tickets are available on the Thursday at times which also suit you; or for £10 each + the difference if only more expensive tickets remain.

Edit:
For what its worth, tickets on those trains at the same time between Derby and Oxford are still available for next Wednesday (3rd August) at £13.55. For the risk of costing an extra £4, you might decide to hold off buying for a few weeks and see if you can get a confirmed meeting time!
 
Last edited:

Malton Seadog

Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
74
I've asked him for assurance and a set date - so I think I will hold off.

Thanks for all your help - really do appreciate it!
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
How about :

Doncaster - Sheffield SDR £4.25
Sheffield - Derby CDR £6.35
Derby - Birmingham CDR £9.05

Wolverhampton - Hanborough £9.10 SVR, valid to start late at Birmingham and Finish Early at Oxford.. Book through LondonMidland.com to get this price otherwise it will cost you £18.20 if you book through ticket office / other website, only reason is London Midland set this fare and have a 50% sale currently.. also your not tied to advances, just incase times etc change... :)

total cost £28.75.. using cuccir's times
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,442
Location
Yorkshire
Could you let me know the cheapest way to get to Oxford on Wednesday 31st August from Doncaster please?
Probably not, as whatever anyone comes up with may well be beaten by someone else! But we can give some suggestions for making it cheaper.

However what I can say, that is worth bearing in mind, is that the fare from Sheffield to Derby (£6.35 for a 'CDR' with a Railcard) is the same price from Mexborough. Doncaster-Mexborough is only £3.50, but you'd need to call at Mexborough.

Do you still commute to York with a Season ticket? Anyone getting a Season is advised by us to buy beyond their origin/destination if the fare is the same, for example Conisbrough to Cattal is the same price as Doncaster to York. Such a season could be combined with a Conisbrough-Mexborough CDR (£2.30) and a Mexborough-Derby CDR (£6.35) with no requirement to call at Mexborough or Conisborough (see Condition 19 of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage).
 

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,888
Location
Lancashire
If you could get to Oxford at 12:40pm and depart at 17:07pm then there are advance tickets available at 18:15GBP each way !! sorry my keyboard wont do the pound sign
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top