• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dog on the railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2021
Messages
6,585
Location
Neilston, East Renfrewshire
I can fully understand how much people love their dogs, and would do anything to save them from (perceived) danger, but the question has to be asked; How do the dogs get onto the railway in the first place ? Presumably they are off the lead, or allowed out of the house to roam around, and therefore at just as much, if not more, risk of being knocked down by a car, or indeed savaging an innocent child, as being struck by a train ?

In the OP's example I would certainly have expected the NR Helpline to advise the local NR Control who would assess the situation and if possible send someone to investigate (assuming the staff were not occupied elsewhere).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
95
I thought sheep and above were cautioned for as a matter of course, because you’re then getting to a size and weight of animal that will cause serious damage if struck, and potentially pose a derailment risk. I’ve been cautioned for a swan(!) previously but was led to believe that’s because they’re some kind of protected species, rather than because of any risk to trains. I must admit I’d feel far worse about hitting a dog than a swan…



Well hopefully you are a responsible enough dog owner that you keep your dog under control and the situation will never arise. It’s only ever one person’s fault if a dog ends up on the railway…

Per the Rule Book, you are correct to caution for a swan if it is reported to be in the 4ft (The book specifically mentions the animal being in the 4ft, not the cess)

Also per the Rule Book, signallers are required to caution for "not less than 6 sheep" although the 4ft / cess is not mentioned for sheep.
 

Donny_m

On Moderation
Joined
11 Sep 2019
Messages
128
Location
Bristol
I can fully understand how much people love their dogs, and would do anything to save them from (perceived) danger, but the question has to be asked; How do the dogs get onto the railway in the first place ? Presumably they are off the lead, or allowed out of the house to roam around, and therefore at just as much, if not more, risk of being knocked down by a car, or indeed savaging an innocent child, as being struck by a train ?

In the OP's example I would certainly have expected the NR Helpline to advise the local NR Control who would assess the situation and if possible send someone to investigate (assuming the staff were not occupied elsewhere).

In the post on Facebook it was suggested they had come from travellers in the wasteland on the other side of the line although I failed to see any today when I went past.

In the case of the lady hit in Teignmouth the wall dividing the sea wall and the railway is about 3 foot high, where the benches in the wall were it was essentially like a set of steps for an animal and it wasn’t uncommon for a playful dog loose on the beach to jump or walk over.

A family member petitioned government and they raised the section of wall behind all the stone benches.
 

randyrippley

Established Member
Joined
21 Feb 2016
Messages
5,382
Per the Rule Book, you are correct to caution for a swan if it is reported to be in the 4ft (The book specifically mentions the animal being in the 4ft, not the cess)

Also per the Rule Book, signallers are required to caution for "not less than 6 sheep" although the 4ft / cess is not mentioned for sheep.
Presumably relative risk.
Danger from a swan is if it tries to fly off and instead comes through the cab window.
Danger from sheep is derailment - if there's enough of them
 

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,392
No I am not. But I am aware that railway lines can be dangerous and trains can run at speed, as I would hope the majority of people are aware. At the very least, I would hope someone would think of calling the emergency services which would eventually get through to the right people.
Do you think that it is reasonable to expect someone who's child is on the line to stand still and call emergency services instead of attempting a rescue?
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,010
Location
London
Do you think that it is reasonable to expect someone who's child is on the line to stand still and call emergency services instead of attempting a rescue?

And how did somebody's child end up in the middle of the line? Also, it is completely irrelvant to the thread at hand.
 

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,392
That's rather different, this thread is about dogs
So, in essence, you are deciding for yourself the appriopriate emotional response for a dog being threatened with death compared to a child being threatened with death.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

And how did somebody's child end up in the middle of the line? Also, it is completely irrelvant to the thread at hand.
I doubt you actually believe what you are implying.
 

ExRes

Established Member
Joined
16 Dec 2012
Messages
8,423
Location
Back in Sussex
So, in essence, you are deciding for yourself the appriopriate emotional response for a dog being threatened with death compared to a child being threatened with death.

Yes, I most certainly am, I've lost dogs, cats and a son, believe me there is a vast emotional difference
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,010
Location
London
So, in essence, you are deciding for yourself the appriopriate emotional response for a dog being threatened with death compared to a child being threatened with death.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I doubt you actually believe what you are implying.

And what am I implying? You are the one comparing human children to dogs.
 

LiftFan

Member
Joined
27 May 2016
Messages
369
I remember a large dog that was run over by a train, it was there for about 4 days in the 6ft.
We once discovered a dog lying in the 6ft which had no collar on, we decided to leave it there as it was just a health hazard to ourselves since it was quite badly decomposed by that point. I think the most we can really do a lot of the time (Not being a MOM) is see if there's a collar and phone number, and report it to control so they can break the news.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top