None of that explains why the main beam has a constant cross-section. This must make it much heavier than necessary, contributing to the need for the massive foundations. I see the same thoughtless over-engineering with motorway signs too, with their vast circular supporting towers - which are not even a good choice of cross-section for an eccentric load.
I've always thought the new motorway gantries (the cylindrical ones) are ridiculous. I am not a structural engineer, but I was recently looking into loft conversion and also wondering about the weight of our box room (which is above the front door and goes across the top of the stairs, so as you walk upstairs you go under that room. The joists on that room go paralell with the stairs, so in other words, they don't span between the two brick walls but run in the same direction and end on one (wooden) beam that itself goes across the stairs). It's a 1930s semi, and the wooden beam is only a few inches thick and 6-8 inches deep. And it holds the weight of the joists themselves and circa 500kg of cupboards and wardrobes and clothes plus another 200kg of people if three of us go in there.
When looking into the loft conversion, the default Bob the Builder methd is to put a huge overengineered RSJ craned in from the side and build a floor on top of it. But another technique was to sister the joists on the ceiling by doubling up the ceiling joists and putting steels in to bridge gaps. I was told a 10mm thick and 200mm wide flat piece of steel weighing only can support a load of over 11kN which if I understand correctly is over a tonne. In normal use with the maximum expected static load of a habitable room that spec over a 3 metre span would deflect under weight by up to 1mm. If someone did put a 1 tonne weight on the middle of the span it would deflect by 7.5mm. So to make sure and allow adequate clearance they specified 15mm thick steel. The bar itself weighs under 10kg. I can now safely have elephants in the loft if need be.
Now obviously my steel bar is not self-supporting or cantilevered, but the picture in the OP looks like the sort of thing that would hold a crane up at a docks that could lift trucks and containers in the air! Surely there must be a reason for specifying it?