• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does Euston station have ticket machines to collect tickets from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ONherefor1Q

New Member
Joined
12 Jan 2023
Messages
2
Location
London
I booked a trainline ticket to osmirk but there are not e-tickets so I have to collect from a station on my line(northern line), my train leaves from euston station . On the list trainline gives it doesn't mention euston as having a ticket station but when I search on google it says it does. I want to clarify if there are or aren't any ticket stations there otherwise I have to make a seperate journey just to collect my tickets.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,309
Location
Bolton
Yes, there are machines which are on your left if you walk into the station from the bus station direction, or you can ask a member of staff for directions.
 

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,071
Location
Selby
Plenty of ticket machines at Euston with ticket on departure facility. You also don't have to collect the ticket at the station you selected.

Btw, next time why not book with someone other than the Trainline? They charge a booking fee. You can also book with a toc who don't charge a fee or someone like trainsplit who save you money through split ticketing and only charge based on the saving . Northern rails app is based on the Trainline and doesn't charge a fee
 

ONherefor1Q

New Member
Joined
12 Jan 2023
Messages
2
Location
London
Plenty of ticket machines at Euston with ticket on departure facility. You also don't have to collect the ticket at the station you selected.

Btw, next time why not book with someone other than the Trainline? They charge a booking fee. You can also book with a toc who don't charge a fee or someone like trainsplit who save you money through split ticketing and only charge based on the saving . Northern rails app is based on the Trainline and doesn't charge a fee
I think its more convient for me to collect from the station I selected as I can go there get the tickets then just wait for my train
I don't know anything about trains thank you for the advice though.
I got split tickets from Trainline.
Also since trainline aren't clear on who has ticket stations where do I find out who has ticket stations or not, also are ticket stations for all tickets?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Plenty of ticket machines at Euston with ticket on departure facility. You also don't have to collect the ticket at the station you selected.

Btw, next time why not book with someone other than the Trainline? They charge a booking fee. You can also book with a toc who don't charge a fee or someone like trainsplit who save you money through split ticketing and only charge based on the saving . Northern rails app is based on the Trainline and doesn't charge a fee
Thanks
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,709
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
While I'm generally a big advocate of Trainsplit I think it can be that if Trainline finds the split that may be cheaper overall, depending how each works out its fee. However Trainsplit can be better at finding splits (it tries far more permutations) and has a seat selector. But the old adage of "TOC site is always cheaper" no longer applies because of that splitting feature, though sometimes it does, e.g. LNER's own site does splits on their trains.
 

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,071
Location
Selby
I think its more convient for me to collect from the station I selected as I can go there get the tickets then just wait for my train
I don't know anything about trains thank you for the advice though.
I got split tickets from Trainline.
Also since trainline aren't clear on who has ticket stations where do I find out who has ticket stations or not, also are ticket stations for all tickets?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Thanks
Ah thanks forgot Trainline did split tickets now too.

Most well used stations have ticket collection facilities, if the station has a ticket vending machine or ticket office, chances are you can pick your tickets up there. A notable exception is merseyrail, whose ticket offices do collection but machines don't.
 

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,071
Location
Selby
Worth noting there are still some stations with no facilities at all. Also you can buy any ticket from a station booking office but the choice on ticket machines may be more limited.
 

pelli

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2016
Messages
356
On the list trainline gives it doesn't mention euston as having a ticket station
If the Trainline list you're looking at is this one or similar:
"How do I collect tickets from a self-service ticket machine?"
then Euston is in the list but under the name "London Euston".

Note that the ticket machine will ask you to insert the payment card used to purchase the tickets before typing in the booking reference number, so you'll want to have both on hand. (There are cases where you can get away with inserting a different card, but if you are able to use the same card -- and as long as it's not a numberless card from Chase Bank -- then there's nothing to worry about.)

Also since trainline aren't clear on who has ticket stations where do I find out who has ticket stations or not, also are ticket stations for all tickets?
The official source is probably National Rail Enquiries, where you can find separate information pages for each station (which show, where available, "Collection of pre-purchased tickets: Yes, from ticket machine"):
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/default.aspx
(Official does not necessarily guarantee correct, though.)

I think you can safely assume that all main stations in London have ticket machines.

All National Rail train operating companies and all ticket-selling websites use the same system for passengers to collect tickets from the station (called "Ticket on Departure", TOD) so you can use any ticket machine to collect your tickets, regardless of who you bought from and whose machine it is (unless the machine cannot do TOD at all - I don't know how common that is?). (London Underground is not included, so you can't in general collect train tickets from Tube stations.)

Although the Trainline app doesn't automatically say that you can collect from your origin station (Euston in this case), when I search for a journey from a station without ticket machines and select "Collect from station", it does automatically show the warning "X does not have a ticket machine, you can collect them from another station". So if you don't see this warning when selecting "Collect from station", then it should mean that you can collect from your origin station.


You also don't have to collect the ticket at the station you selected.
It seems that Trainline doesn't ask you to select a station for collection anymore.
 

SaneTrainAgain

New Member
Joined
27 May 2023
Messages
1
Location
London
Yes, there are machines which are on your left if you walk into the station from the bus station direction, or you can ask a member of staff for directions.
Hi Starmill, I was just wondering whether the self service ticket machines are card only or do they accept cash?
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,309
Location
Bolton
Hi Starmill, I was just wondering whether the self service ticket machines are card only or do they accept cash?
A small number should accept cash yes. It may only be one or two but they will be signed appropriately. If you encounter any issues there should always be a member of staff in the area around the ticket machines to assist. If no machines can accept cash, they'll direct you to somewhere else where you can pay cash.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top