• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does DBS loan Class 67 locos to Chiltern Railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janie kay

New Member
Joined
15 Mar 2013
Messages
2
Hi. I live near Stourbridge Junction and we have been having problems with the noise of the trains revving and idling all through the night. The culprit is Chiltern Railways and despite denying to start with they now are working towards a solution. I notice that an EWS Class 67 (67017 'Arrow') has been up there causing problems too. Does anyone know if that is still an EWS? Could it be on loan or belonging to Chiltern without the livery change yet? Could there be any locos in EWS colours pulling Chiltern trains? Just need to know before I start getting irate! Any info gratefully received. Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,370
Hi. I live near Stourbridge Junction and we have been having problems with the noise of the trains revving and idling all through the night. The culprit is Chiltern Railways and despite denying to start with they now are working towards a solution. I notice that an EWS Class 67 (67017 'Arrow') has been up there causing problems too. Does anyone know if that is still an EWS? Could it be on loan or belonging to Chiltern without the livery change yet? Could there be any locos in EWS colours pulling Chiltern trains? Just need to know before I start getting irate! Any info gratefully received. Thanks.

Chiltern do sublease Class 67s from DB Schenker for it's loco hualed 'mainline' services yes. Even the Chiltern liveried examples belong to DBS, so if any of those locomotives are unavailable I imagine DBS will supply another 67.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Though why they would be doing so 'all through the night' puzzles me.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
All 67s are owned by DBS who lease some of them to Chiltern Railways.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Just like people who buy a (cheaper) house near an airport and complain about the aircraft noise.
They dont seem to "get" the point that the house was cheaper because it was near the airport!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Though why they would be doing so 'all through the night' puzzles me.

They probably dont, its just that the last one might not get parked up until gone midnight, get cleaned out (engine running to provide electrickery), then its shut down but then a few hours later the first one out has to be started up so as to be prepared for service and build up the air pressure etc.

Please note sometimes its necessary to leave a loco running all the time.
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,668
Locos do not need to be left idling overnight. That is the problem not passing trains which I am sure ahe expected. No need to be so rude to the OP who is nrw to the forum.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Just one possibility-
So a loco with knackered batteries doesnt need to be left running?
How you going to start it in the morning then?

The OP has joined a rail forum to moan about the railways, note the
Just need to know before I start getting irate!
near the end of their post.
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,668
Just one possibility-
So a loco with knackered batteries doesnt need to be left running?
How you going to start it in the morning then?

The OP has joined a rail forum to moan about the railways, note the near the end of their post.

Fair play... Ill admit when im wrong hadnt considered that.
 

KiddyKid

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
61
I am a Driver based at Stourbridge Depot I will try to answer the OP's questions. Firstly 67017 has been used for route learning by Chiltern for forthcoming diversions between Leamington and Birmingham New Street this loco leaves SBJ and returns during office hours, it stables and is not run during the evening or night time periods. The two silver sets arrive at approx 20.10 and 21.10 from Kidderminster and are fuelled on arrival, the trains are then stabled for cleaning, at this point the generator set in the DVT should be started to supply ETS to the coaches. The fitting staff arrive at around 22.00 and check over the loco's and trains for defects etc the loco's should then be shut down until prepped in the morning for the 05.20 and 0607departures. The 168's are also fuelled, cleaned and checked and then shut down until the start time agreed by Dudley Council and Chiltern. When the depot opened 10 years ago Chiltern caried out noise reduction work including the instalation of a compressor house and a sound barrier along the length of the depot adjacent to the Stourbridge Town branch. We have been blamed in the past for making noise during freight train diversions, this is actually caused by the stabling of a banking engine beneath the old signal box and the associated moves and shunts connected with it. Chiltern Management have issued noise mitigation instructions and these are posted on the depot notice boards, what more can we do!! this is a working 24/7 MDTR Depot that has been open for 10 years and prior to that was a freight yard going back to the days of Round Oak Steel Works, its been there a long time...
 

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
Just one possibility-
So a loco with knackered batteries doesnt need to be left running?
How you going to start it in the morning then?

The OP has joined a rail forum to moan about the railways, note the near the end of their post.

It is very rare for a 67 to have knackered batteries, I worked with them for 6 years and not once did I get one with duff start batteries only duff starter motors, so the OP is a new member of the rail forums? So what!!! Not all the people on this forum need to be a rail enthusiast!
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
Not like it changes the point, but being pedantic, Angel Trains own the 67s....who lease them to DBS....who hire them to Chiltern ;)

Thanks, Sam

Pedantry? On a railway forum? You'll stick out like a sore thumb ;)
 

janie kay

New Member
Joined
15 Mar 2013
Messages
2
I am a Driver based at Stourbridge Depot I will try to answer the OP's questions. Firstly 67017 has been used for route learning by Chiltern for forthcoming diversions between Leamington and Birmingham New Street this loco leaves SBJ and returns during office hours, it stables and is not run during the evening or night time periods. The two silver sets arrive at approx 20.10 and 21.10 from Kidderminster and are fuelled on arrival, the trains are then stabled for cleaning, at this point the generator set in the DVT should be started to supply ETS to the coaches. The fitting staff arrive at around 22.00 and check over the loco's and trains for defects etc the loco's should then be shut down until prepped in the morning for the 05.20 and 0607departures. The 168's are also fuelled, cleaned and checked and then shut down until the start time agreed by Dudley Council and Chiltern. When the depot opened 10 years ago Chiltern caried out noise reduction work including the instalation of a compressor house and a sound barrier along the length of the depot adjacent to the Stourbridge Town branch. We have been blamed in the past for making noise during freight train diversions, this is actually caused by the stabling of a banking engine beneath the old signal box and the associated moves and shunts connected with it. Chiltern Management have issued noise mitigation instructions and these are posted on the depot notice boards, what more can we do!! this is a working 24/7 MDTR Depot that has been open for 10 years and prior to that was a freight yard going back to the days of Round Oak Steel Works, its been there a long time...
Thanks KiddyKid, I'm glad someone can offer some real news on this. The reason I'm asking is because Chiltern are saying there are more trains than Chiltern using the site. We've had trouble with Chiltern in 2004, 2008 and now 2012/13 and a DMU is currently buzzing away in my background I'm afraid. Basically I'm trying to suss out if an EWS is causing my grief or an EWS dressed up as Chiltern cos your management are adamant it's not you. I'm TRYING to give you the benefit of the doubt and clarify what's going on. I don't hate the railways, I've lived on railways all my life and (sick as it is) enjoyed watching the nuclear waste train pass my bedroom on its way to Sellafield as a kid. Cheers jk
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks KiddyKid, I'm glad someone can offer some real news on this. The reason I'm asking is because Chiltern are saying there are more trains than Chiltern using the site. We've had trouble with Chiltern in 2004, 2008 and now 2012/13 and a DMU is currently buzzing away in my background I'm afraid. Basically I'm trying to suss out if an EWS is causing my grief or an EWS dressed up as Chiltern cos your management are adamant it's not you. I'm TRYING to give you the benefit of the doubt and clarify what's going on. I don't hate the railways, I've lived on railways all my life and (sick as it is) enjoyed watching the nuclear waste train pass my bedroom on its way to Sellafield as a kid. Cheers jk

And incidentally, I've lived by SJ since 1998 and until 2002 the site was used only for storing freight for weeks at a time as Round Oak closed in the mid 80's wasn't it? My old man drives a 44 ton truck and I'm sure everyone reading this would be most miffed if he sat outside your house revving it all night!!
 

SPADTrap

Established Member
Joined
15 Oct 2012
Messages
2,355
And incidentally, I've lived by SJ since 1998 and until 2002 the site was used only for storing freight for weeks at a time as Round Oak closed in the mid 80's wasn't it? My old man drives a 44 ton truck and I'm sure everyone reading this would be most miffed if he sat outside your house revving it all night!!

But the only problem with your analogy is that I'm sure a driver doesn't intentionally rev their engine to annoy you. I'm sure that's automatic? Perhaps a more fitting one would be living next to the yard where your old man tips his load, what would he say if he was suddenly told he had to do it with his engine off?

Just to be more pedantic, you may have more luck looking to see if its DBS as EWS no longer exist...right? Or?

Regards.
 

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,714
Perhaps a more fitting one would be living next to the yard where your old man tips his load, what would he say if he was suddenly told he had to do it with his engine off?

That is straight from Viz and Rogers Profanisaurus.... Surely....
 

martybabes

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
181
Location
Glos
Just like people who buy a (cheaper) house near an airport and complain about the aircraft noise.
They dont seem to "get" the point that the house was cheaper because it was near the airport!

And another misconception raises its head...

If a noisy activity has been going on for years and then somebody builds a house next door to it, it is only from then that a noise nuisance occurs and it is from then that action can be taken to get that noise lawfully stopped.

Sometimes the law appears to be an ass, but that's the law for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top