• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does anyone know where I can get/buy a Bus Hailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
Hi All

I’m not sure anyone will be able to help but I thought I’d give it a go anyway!

I am registered severely sight impaired with little sight.

Where I live in Somerset there is only one bus number which goes past my local bus stop and if the drivers see me waiting there they usually stop for me.

I am having problems though when I’m visiting other areas such as Bristol or London as I can’t read the bus numbers, there are often multiple services using the same stop and as I can’t try and stop all of them (or feel bad doing so) I think sometimes the one I want is going past me.

So my question is does anyone know where I can get or buy a bus hailer? An example of what I mean is in this link https://www.henshaws.org.uk/hints-and-tips/how-to-use-bus-hailers/

Many thanks for any help.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,039
Location
Up the creek
I am no expert, but a bit of reading makes me think that this looks like an idea that has been adopted by the buses in Manchester, but may not be generally available. I can only suggest that you either get someone to help you prepare one for you next journeys or, if you have time when you are in Manchester, blag one from one of their travel centres.
 

Volvodart

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2010
Messages
2,953
Hi All

I’m not sure anyone will be able to help but I thought I’d give it a go anyway!

I am registered severely sight impaired with little sight.

Where I live in Somerset there is only one bus number which goes past my local bus stop and if the drivers see me waiting there they usually stop for me.

I am having problems though when I’m visiting other areas such as Bristol or London as I can’t read the bus numbers, there are often multiple services using the same stop and as I can’t try and stop all of them (or feel bad doing so) I think sometimes the one I want is going past me.
This may help you but it does not say how to get it.

 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
This may help you but it does not say how to get it.

It's not very helpful by being in the image, but on the bus hailer itself there is printed a phone number 0117 374 1265 and email address transport.operations@westofengland-ca.gov.uk

This would appear to apply to the West of England Combined Authority area but worth asking if you are in another part of Somerset.
 

SSmith2009

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2021
Messages
590
Location
East Midlands
Hi All

I’m not sure anyone will be able to help but I thought I’d give it a go anyway!

I am registered severely sight impaired with little sight.

Where I live in Somerset there is only one bus number which goes past my local bus stop and if the drivers see me waiting there they usually stop for me.

I am having problems though when I’m visiting other areas such as Bristol or London as I can’t read the bus numbers, there are often multiple services using the same stop and as I can’t try and stop all of them (or feel bad doing so) I think sometimes the one I want is going past me.

So my question is does anyone know where I can get or buy a bus hailer? An example of what I mean is in this link https://www.henshaws.org.uk/hints-and-tips/how-to-use-bus-hailers/

Many thanks for any help.
One of my neighbours who's partly sighted has A5 sized lime green coloured cards with the local service numbers printed on them which he carries around

They have on them
BUS 14 Please Stop
BUS 40 Please Stop

I believe he got them from vista
 

redgate

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2024
Messages
19
Location
stockport
I live in Greater Manchester. Would you like me to pop into the travel shop and see if I can get one? Presumably we can use the free post for blind people to get it to you (my daughter has VI so we get these issues) may take a while as we are on holiday x
 

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
Thank you all for the replies.

It's not very helpful by being in the image, but on the bus hailer itself there is printed a phone number 0117 374 1265 and email address transport.operations@westofengland-ca.gov.uk

This would appear to apply to the West of England Combined Authority area but worth asking if you are in another part of Somerset.

Thank you for this. That’s very interesting. 0117 is a Bristol number I think which means technically I live outside their area but I might still give it a go contacting them. Perhaps if I emphasis that I have difficulties when visiting Bristol they might let the fact I don’t reside there slide - I can hope!

I live in Greater Manchester. Would you like me to pop into the travel shop and see if I can get one? Presumably we can use the free post for blind people to get it to you (my daughter has VI so we get these issues) may take a while as we are on holiday x

Hi thank you so much for this kind offer. I don’t want to put you in a difficult position though so if you feel uncomfortable please don’t worry.

I receive a lot of my post eg large print bills via the Articles for the Blind scheme but I haven’t posted anything via the scheme for years so I don’t know if you have to be registered with Royal Mail to send items that way. I would be happy to cover the postage though.

I am hoping to be in Manchester for a few days soon but not until December.

Thanks again and enjoy your holiday x
 

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
@Kath123 I am a volunteer with Henshaws drop me a private message with you details and a will drop a couple of bus hailers in the post

Thank you very much for the kind offer, much appreciated. I’ll send you a message now.



As @malcolmnote999 is going to send me a bus hailer don’t worry about trying to get me one @redgate but I really appreciate your kind offer too - thank you.
 

redgate

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2024
Messages
19
Location
stockport
So glad you have got it sorted. Also thanks for letting us know about them. I think my little girl would enjoy using one so I will see if I can get one at the interchange when we get home
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top