• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does a Good Attitude Result in a Good Outcome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tevion539

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2020
Messages
472
Location
The Milkyway
I've experienced it from both sides of the coin. I almost ended up in a heated argument with a TfW RPI a few weeks ago when he entered a (not yet enforced) Standard Plus section, told everyone they were on the wrong tickets and were avoiding the First Class fare. He did the same to me, I politely said this wasn't right and that Standard Plus isn't First Class (nor was the guard selling upgrades). I straight away had the RPI badge shoved in my face, was told he was just doing his job and was going to get a manager to 'sort it' (he did not, nor did he ever admit to being wrong). An unnecessary escalation.

The guard was less than impressed when I told her she had an RPI running riot accusing people of misdeeds on her train :lol:
Second time I've heard this, I wouldn't have been impressed if this happened on my train either. Some of them don't do themselves any favours.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skymonster

Established Member
Joined
7 Feb 2012
Messages
2,061
Definitely agree with the point of seeking out staff as soon as you're able to. Was once on the way home to Derby from Birmingham New Street (back in Central Trains days) got on a 158 convinced it was for Nottingham (get off at Derby). Nerves were frayed when we took the Whitacre Junction line at Water Orton and absolutely shredded when we took the Nuneaton line at Whitacre Junction - yep you guessed it, we were on a Leicester train.... The guard turned up who was clearly in a good mood announcing "good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, the ticket man is here" and upon explaining what we'd done, told us to and I quote, "change at Leicester and have a siesta". We then spoke to the Midland Mainline folks at Leicester who were equally as amiable and we caught the next train back up to Derby, the only cost being time.
That’s quite likely to always be the case with such an “error”, because normal Derby-Birmingham tickets (although obviously not Advances) are valid via Leicester anyway :lol:
 

pethadine82

On Moderation
Joined
16 Jun 2012
Messages
283
I witnessed a very strange experience on a SWT service where there were 2 passengers, both didn't have valid tickets. One started to get very aggressive and getting into her personal space. The other was very calm and said she was just doing her job and not to take it out on her and started to protect her in case there was violence. He even walked her down to her cab so that she could get to safety. AFAIK neither got details taken, but the polite chap did have a ticket but wasn't valid for the journey and held his hands up and was prepared to pay, but given the other chap, the opportunity for payment didn't arise.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
Oh yes it absolutely does. I've been on both sides of the equation.

Speaking as frontline (non revenue) staff, when someone comes up to me and says something along the lines of: "look mate, I've F***ed up, I need help." Then it's pretty certain I'm doing to do anything within my remit to sort out the problem. But when people come up with attitude or, worse, start lying and passing off the blame, then I'll be doing what is required, but no more. A good one for that is if someone gets on the wrong train and then comes back and hour later with "your staff put me on the wrong train"... When I've been the person on the ground redirecting passengers, seen the train in question leave full and standing and you're the only person left. Nope. Don't think so.

A good few years ago, certainly during the Serco/ Abellio Northern Rail days, I managed to balls up and lose my ticket wallet which had a Northern complimentary day pass in it, as well as a return from York-Thornaby as I was heading up to the North East. When did I realise I'd lost it? Yep... When an RPI said "tickets please" on a TPE 185. He gave me fair opportunity to look for it, which I pretty much emptied my bag and pockets across the table and didn't have it. I did still have my annual season ticket to Manchester, but that was obviously of little use on the ECML. I was under 16 at the time, so that more than likely made an impact on what happened next. He came back and I explained that I must have misplaced it between being gripped on the Grand Central HST and boarding this train. Told him what tickets I had, where I'd bought the YRK-TBY ticket, and that if I needed to buy a new ticket or give details, fair enough it was my mistake. He rang back to Thirsk to get one of the staff to check around the bench I'd been sat on in case I'd dropped it there, told me not to worry about it and to speak to staff at Thornaby who should be able to get hold of GC in case the TM could find it.

Never got it back, and ended up buying a new ticket back to Manchester, but that could have gone a lot worse.

Even in the modern world, I was on a train last week when RPIs boarded. The guy opposite me was having trouble getting his phone to charge-genuinely, he'd been trying since he'd got on at the origin station. He therefore couldn't show a ticket when the RPIs arrived. But rather than throwing the book at him they offered to lend him a charging cable and to come back in a few minutes, which they duly did. Unfortunately for him, it then transpired he'd only bought an advance single for his outward journey and not the return he claimed to have thought he had, so did receive a Penalty Fare.
 

chawky

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2023
Messages
29
Location
uk
I had an incident with the police a couple years ago (not train related). In hind sight, I definitely failed the attitude test. I don't know for sure, but I think had I acted better they would have maybe just let me go with a verbal warning, instead I got a £300 fine. Lesson learned.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,904
I think for the most part if you’ve done something wrong, perhaps not deliberately and you are compliant and admit a mistake then the chances of receiving a lower penalty (or none at all) are greater.

Sadly, I feel that there is a lower limit to this attitude and there is a point where if you do enough screaming and shouting and threatening then you’ll get your own way as staff will back down. I’m afraid to say we are seeing this more.

Equally sadly, if you’ve done NOTHING wrong then you’ll often find that being nice will end up with a higher penalty than not. For example when you have a valid ticket but a guard is adamant it is not valid, nicely nicely will not get you as far as being direct and to the point. There’s no justification for anything more than this though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top