• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you write on Plat 5 British Railways Pocket Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W&C

Member
Joined
6 Nov 2021
Messages
7
Location
Waterloo and Bank
I know, there’s no “right way” to do things, but I’m not sure what’s the standard way. Do I cross out the trains I see on it, or do I just use it as a reference and write on a notepad or something?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2020
Messages
1,565
Location
Leafy Suburbia
I used a yellow highlighter to mark the ones I had seen. You could write in pencil, or buy a second copy to keep at home.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,849
Location
Epsom
Whatever method suits you best really.

I underline sightings in black ink* in mine, mark haulages with a (P) for pulled by / ridden on, cab visits with a (C) highlight in green if I've got a photo of whatever it is.


*Other ink colours, such as red, are available!
 

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
The first trainspotting books I bought were a set of Platform 5 books from 2017. I highlighted the trains I'd seen in a yellow highlighter (one of those ones were people always ask if it's more yellow or green), but then decided to go back over with a pen and underline them too so if the highlighter faded, I'd still be able to see which trains I'd seen.
In the last few ABC Rail Guides I've had, I've underlined the trains I've seen but also added "H" next to those I've had for 'haulage'.

-Peter
 

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
@Peter C - What Rail Guides did you write in? Once I went to Cottingham and Hull stations and recorded them in the pocket books from 2019.
They're the ABC Rail Guides, like this:

abc Rail Guide 2021

abc Rail Guide 2021​

abc Rail Guide 2021
Author: Pip Dunn
RRP: £25.00
£25.00

Although I'm not a particular fan of the 2021 edition given the changes between that and the 2018 one (which is the most recent one I have apart from the 2021 edition - although I believe the 2019 and 2020 versions are similar to the 2018 edition). We discussed it not too long ago here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/abc-rail-guides.182073/

-Peter
 

Ilovetrains43

On Moderation
Joined
12 Aug 2021
Messages
152
Location
Orchard Park, Hull
They're the ABC Rail Guides, like this:



Although I'm not a particular fan of the 2021 edition given the changes between that and the 2018 one (which is the most recent one I have apart from the 2021 edition - although I believe the 2019 and 2020 versions are similar to the 2018 edition). We discussed it not too long ago here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/abc-rail-guides.182073/

-Peter
I have them all, including the Traction Recognitions and Llocomotive Tractions. I also have the light rail edition of RG2019.
 

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,345
Location
University of Birmingham
They're the ABC Rail Guides, like this:



Although I'm not a particular fan of the 2021 edition given the changes between that and the 2018 one (which is the most recent one I have apart from the 2021 edition - although I believe the 2019 and 2020 versions are similar to the 2018 edition). We discussed it not too long ago here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/abc-rail-guides.182073/

-Peter
Totally unrelated, but who's the photographer of the bottom picture on the front cover (class 50 with two HST powercars and single Mk3), and what date was it? I think that working was one of the very few that I missed going to/from Long Marston in 2020!
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,854
Totally unrelated, but who's the photographer of the bottom picture on the front cover (class 50 with two HST powercars and single Mk3), and what date was it? I think that working was one of the very few that I missed going to/from Long Marston in 2020!
It's two Class 50s, a power car and a LHCS Mark 3 from the sleeper.
There was a move from Long Marston to LA on 23/03/20 (43091 to LA) and a return trip on 24/03/20 (43086 to Long Marston).

https://flickr.com/photos/35663521@...i5WqK-2kkCtti-2jQ9jWM-2cZi6VV-2kojcFh-2jQ8ybk
 

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,345
Location
University of Birmingham

Welly

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2013
Messages
670
I used to write in mine but I have not been doing that for decades even though I still buy them sometimes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top